“5 star indeed but something is missing in breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Grand Hotel Via Veneto

Grand Hotel Via Veneto
Ranked #174 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Athens, Greece
“5 star indeed but something is missing in breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

Very nice hotel, great location, excellent service from most polite and smiling hotel employees (the good impression that the hotel gives is a lot due to this remarkable politeness of their people-bravo! to them). The only thing that was not up to our expectations from a 5 star hotel was the breakfast: although quality was very good, I would expect a bigger selection of food. But most annoying was that after 3 requests lasting about 10 to 15 minutes in breakfast time, they were not able to refill cheese plate and crumble eggs in the buffet. And afterwards it took them more 15 minutes to bring us our coffees. I think its a problem of the Hotel's kitchen organization but it harms the hotel's image. Imagine that when this happened, we were hardly 5 tables in the room. What would have happened if we were 10 tables there? They should do something about it.. cause in such hotels, where you pay 350 euros/day for a double room and 32 euros per person for breakfast, you do not easily forget such phenomena! Otherwise, the hotel is great.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Geena739
Ilaria L, Front Of House Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, 27 March 2013

Thank you for your feed back on the Tripadvisor.

We do really appreciate your comment and regarding the small issues with the breakfast service, be assured that we have passed your feedback to the competent department to avoid a recurrence of the incident you have experienced.
I hope these shortfalls will not tarnish your overall impression of Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto and deter you from staying with us. It would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future, giving us another opportunity to make sure you have a wonderful stay with us. I will personally take care of your future reservation by assuring you a special treatment,
We are looking forward to welcoming you back in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

Front of House Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Como, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

i stayed tonight in this hotel, and i can definetly say it's one of the best jumeirah hotels in the world and the BEST 5* HOTELIN ROME! the lobby is ansolutely posh and glamour, the bulding is brand new and in a wonderful position. The room was huge, perfectly furnished with a marvellous bathroom area. Extremely clean, gromed and attention tothe minimum detail!!!! Even if i booked a deluxe, the view and the quality was definetly excellent (and this is not so often in hotels in italy!). The breakfastwas topquality and opulet. Staff almost lined with Jumeirah standard. I'll absolutely reccomend this tophotel to all my friends andclients!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ilaria L, Front Of House Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, 18 March 2013

Thank you for your feed back on the Tripadvisor.

We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the location which is the true centre of the city: La Dolce Vita Street, which always keeps its magic! Also the service provided by our colleagues that you kindly define “best five stars hotel in Rome”. We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the hotel and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in the future.

Bucharest, Romania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

Staff very kind ( i would say a little too much ), the hotel very well situated in the very heart of Rome, close to the main attractions .
The room was very nice, fantastic bed, spacious bathroom with Bulgari amenities
I don't know what, but something is missing to consider it a real 5 star hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Jumeirah. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that your deluxe room lived up to your expectations. We are also pleased to know that you enjoyed the service provided by our colleagues and the excellent quality of the internal design.

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2013 via mobile

To start off, the location in Via Veneto is out of the world, tin the heart of Rme, and practically everything is at a walking distance. If you have a car, that is also a plus, since the hotel is out of the ZTL (Limited Traffic Zone), which is a nightmare to handle in Rome. it you will pay 40Euros for the valet parking.
The hotel is modern and well laid out, however the rooms are a bit small, while the bathroom is too big!!
There is no closed wardrobe, it is just an open space to lay your stuff and a few hangers!
The staff were very attentive and polite, the buffet breakfast is also amazing a very nice variety for those who chose healthy starts and also a bit heavier options are available.

Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MSOLIMAN
Ilaria L, Front Of House Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, 12 March 2013

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Jumeirah. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us.
We have communicated your feedback to the entire team and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in the future.

Regarding the small issue with the size of your room and your appreciated suggestions, please be assured that we have passed your feedback to the competent department to find a better solution in terms of "spaces".
We invite you for the future to make a new reservation directly with us and we will be more than glad to show you our wide suites with a closed wardrobe and huge bathroom!

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in Jumeirah Grand hotel Via Veneto.

Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

We recently stayed here for our honeymoon and arrived on Valentine's day. We originally had booked a studio room which has a separate work area which is what I was expecting. When we checked in to the hotel the process was slow and drawn out like the other reviewers have stated. They did not mention anything about our honeymoon like the two other hotels we stayed at did ( Ca'sagredo in venice and Four seasons Firenze in Florence) . When we checked in the staff seemed very robotic and going through the motions. The couple next to me were also getting checked in for their honeymoon which was acknowledged but their host was trying to up-sell them into an upgrade which is not expected at a luxury hotel. The entire time we were checking in she did not confirm the room we were staying in and after the check-in process we were escorted up to the room and to our surprise our room was different from what I remembered booking. So I checked my e-mail and noted I was supposed to be in a studio room which I had booked 5 months ago. Apparently, the studio room is no longer a category on the Grand hotel's website so when we arrived we were placed in a deluxe room. I had called and asked her about why we were placed in the deluxe room and she said that we were "upgraded". I don't understand how a room with a separate living area is a category below a room where you have coffee table and chairs in front of the bed ( which is a very annoying and poor design). I did not make a fuss about it since I was on my honeymoon but I did not like getting lied to and do not take kindly to that. I understand that the deluxe is similarly priced but I did pay more at the time for the studio room or else I would have opted for a suite if I had known the studio category was disappearing. The room itself was average. The area near the entrance to the bathroom door was had a huge gap where the carpet was worn out looking very shabby. The service was very spotty. The housekeeping service when they made up the room was incomplete and toiletries were not replaced. The other thing I did not like is that there was no option for an iron. The other two hotels we stayed at while in Italy had never said no to an iron and which caught us off guard here. We had asked front desk to have an iron sent up and instead we had a housekeeper knock on our door who did not speak any english to try to explain to us that an iron is not possible and that my only option was to get it pressed by her for an 11 euro charge. I ended up getting it pressed by her as I had a dinner reservation at La Pergola which is a 3 michelin star restaurant for Valentine's day but I thought that not being able to get an iron was poor.A 5 star hotel should always be trying to accommodate the guest's request especially if reasonable. I felt at this point that this hotel was trying to nickel and dime it's clients and turned me off to this place. ( side note- the concierge was surprised that I was able to secure a reservation at La Pergola on my own and she had mentioned that they were not able to get reservations for other guests there which is a bad sign). The Spa which is what had swung me to stay with Grand hotel rather than the Rome Cavalari, St Regis, or Eden was rather a bit of a disappointment. The pictures seemed that this spa was going to be very inviting and bigger than it was. It literally has 6 chairs and when we went to the spa we thought we would have a robes available in the locker room but they were not available. We had to bring our room robes? Really?!? The other thing that bothered me about the spa was that there was no relaxation room prior to our massages. Since the 6 relaxation chairs were taken we were relegated to the coffee table and chair in the lobby area at the spa registration in our robe to wait for our massage.The other thing that was of concern was the amount of staff available. The front desk person had to come down to the spa to cover the spa front desk while we were getting our massages as our masseuse was the front desk staff for the spa as well. They were severely understaffed and we usually found areas where it was difficult to locate staff not just in the spa. Oh and lets not forget about the "business center," I had went there to use the computer to check-in and print our boarding passes but the internet and laptop they had was painfully slow relic reminder of a 56k modem. It literally took 10 tries and an hour just get checked in and we were unsuccessful at getting anything to loaded enough for printing. I really wish I had heeded the advice of the more recent reviews about this hotel but I really thought the Jumeriah brand stood for excellence but unfortunately it did not live up to my expectations and will definitely affect my decision for hotels in Dubai as I will have to carefully think about ever staying at or recommending a Jumeirah hotel even though I really wanted to stay at the Burj Al Arab. In summary Was this hotel a 5 star? I would have to say with a resounding No. What needs to be fixed? Service, internet, spa, the need to stop upselling, increase the amount of staff, and most importantly not lying to the guest. Oh and having an Iron available to the guest would be a plus! I wish they had recognized my honeymoon as well ( it was only a once-in-a-lifetime event). Read my review on the four seasons in florence of what excellence is!

Room Tip: Don't stay here! Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ViraniMD
Ilaria L, Front Of House Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this review, 14 March 2013

Thank you for your feed back on the Tripadvisor.
We do really appreciate your comment and regarding the small issues with the spa, business centre and front desk, be assured that we have passed your feedback to the competent departments to avoid a recurrence of the incident you have experienced.

Biggleswade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2013

Could not fault the service at this hotel, nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We were upgraded to a suite which was lovely, the beds were comfortable and the bathrooms spacious and beautifully modern, the only disturbance was from outside quite early one morning when it seemed like deliveries were being made. Location was good for lots of the main tourist sights, although most of them apart from the Vatican are within walking distance anyway. Lots of different choices at breakfast but didn't have any other meals at the hotel as there are plenty of places to eat in Rome. Cannot comment on the spa as we didn't use it.
I would definitely recommend this hotel and felt it deserved it's five star status.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Beverleywoodward

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Jumeirah. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that your suite lived up to your expectations. We are also pleased to know that you enjoyed the location: La Dolce Vita Street and the service provided by our colleagues.

Hollywood
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2013

I read your client's reviews on hotels in Rome and luckily found a reference to Request Italy who planned our short, but terrifix vacation. they found us The Jumeirah Hotel right on the Via Veneto which is exactly where my boyfriend wanted to be and even got us an upgrade to the most incredible suite! They detailed a daily itinterary for us, reserving all our restaurants and stting up our guides who were the best and mor informed guides we ever had. They made our small vacation into a very long memory.

Room Tip: If you go through Request Italy, request an upgrade. They will do their best to accommodate your ne...
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple