“Hit and misses”

Grand Hotel Via Veneto
Ranked #139 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in July. Loved arriving at 10 am and room was ready - not sure if I need thank hotel or Amex Platinum for that perk. But after flying all night was really wonderful. Rooms are indeed spacious and modern. Wouldn't pay more $$ just for Via Veneto Deluxe room for the view but WOULD pay more $$ for the shower. Great shower with lots of different sprays - not the same in our second room. Real gem was roof top terrace which was very lightly used. After sight seeing all day was divine to return to roof top terrace to lounge and have a glass of wine or read/sleep on the loungers. Completely agrees on the buffet breakfast - it has a lot of different items but (not unexpectedly) very European (meats, cheeses etc). If not included in your room we would have skipped. Kids were happy to order pancakes off menu but that was additional $$. Be careful of the dairy products - not sure if the way it is kept out but my child got sick one morning several hours after drinking the milk. Didn't make that mistake twice. Found staff to be uniformly very friendly and helpful esp in asking for towels or wine glasses etc. Inexplicably though it took 45 minutes just to get ice delivered. The hotel was fully booked but one rarely saw other guests. We took cabs to the Vatican and Colliseum but walked to Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. Loved the H café right out the door on Via Veneto (which is actually the café for the Westin next door). Great place for a drink or a snack and to people watch. All in all this hotel is a great oasis away from the craziness of Rome in the summer.

Room Tip: Via Veneto rooms not worth the extra $$. Seems all rooms are spacious and modern.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Ilaria L, Front of House Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor following your recent stay in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto. I hope that you had a pleasant return journey.

We are delighted to read your great review post your stay in Jumeirah. It gives us great pleasure to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us and that your room lived up to your expectations. We are also pleased to know that you enjoyed the location and the service provided by our colleagues.
We have communicated your feedback to the entire team at the hotel and they are all very happy to know that their efforts are so well appreciated. I am certain that this will serve as a source of inspiration for us to achieve higher standards of excellence in the future.

We apologize for the delay of the room delivery and we do hope that this shortfalls won't deter you to visit us again in the future. It would be our privilege to welcome you back giving us another opportunity to make sure you have a wonderful stay with us. I will personally take care of your future reservation by assuring you a special treatment.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back in Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at Jumeirah for 3 nights recently in Rome and couldn't be happier with our choice. The room was on an upper level floor and facing inwards to other rooms so there was no view. However, that really didn't matter to us as we were always out and about busy in Rome and at night slept great since the room was quiet. Overall the room was very clean and modern. Not much space, but again that was fine and not surprising as to what we'd expect from Rome or any big city. The breakfast buffet was included in our package. It was not a huge buffet, but good with some fresh fruits, cereals and pastries. Not worth the 30 Euro price if not otherwise included with your room. The location seemed a little far away at first, but it turned out to be great. It was within walking distance of all the major tourist sights and was a nice walk at night in a more quiet area. We always felt very safe though walking at night. Concierge was helpful as well recommending a couple restaurants to go to. Overall, highly recommended if you are looking for a place to stay a few days in Rome without overspending.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your recent visit to Jumeirah Grand hotel Via Veneto.

Your comment is important to us, as we always aim at delivering an ultimate experience for every guest.

I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations. I have noted your comment regarding the breakfast, please be assured that I have passed your feedback to the Food and Beverage department in order to improve our breakfast service.

I hope these shortfalls will not tarnish your overall impression of Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto: It would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future, giving us another opportunity to make sure you have a wonderful stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any kind of assistance you may require.

Reviewed 28 July 2013

My family and I stayed at Jumeirah Grand in Rome back in December of 2012. We chose Jumeirah because we had stayed at two of the Jumeirah hotels in Dubai before, and wanted to check it out in other countries. We had a 4 night stay at Jumeirah. Overall, the hotel was very luxurious. The room was spacious, it was had an excellent set up, and very nice amenities. The location was great, too! The girls in my family loved that a real Versace store was directly across the street. I loved that the Borghese Park was just a 2 minute walk away. It was nice to stay out of the rush of inner Rome, but also being within walking distance of all the sites. The shopping was just a short walk away, and the Spanish Steps (the point from which we started our Rome in a Day Walking tour) was just a little over 5. The morning buffet, however, was not good. There was very little selection, and the food itself was only so-so. After one breakfast there, we chose to just eat out of the hotel there for all our meals- and I mean, why not? There were so many selections of food on the street (Via Veneto) and within walking distance. The staff could have been nicer- all I'll say is that our check-in experience was all but easy. But, I must say, the hotel is designed beautifully. We came in winter, so the pool was not very ideal to use, but still, it was on the rooftop, and I could only imagine what it must be like in summer (Even though winter in Rome is just as beautiful).

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your stay at Jumeirah Grand hotel Via Veneto.

I see from your letter that you visiti is not so recent: you staied in December 2012, please allow me to suggest you to come also in summer time and enjoy the beauty of our city by relaxing yourself at our amazing Roof Top Terrace which host the open air pool and the enchanting sky bar&Grill.

Please be informed that your comment is important to us, as we always aim at delivering an ultimate experience for every guest.

I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations. I hope these shortfalls will not tarnish your overall impression of Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto and deter you from staying with us. It would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future, giving us another opportunity to make sure you have a wonderful stay.

Reviewed 27 July 2013 via mobile

We arrived from florence through roma termini. It was quite hot. With a 4 year old and two year old in tow. Kids asked for water on way from termini to hotel. We had asked for hotel pick up keeping in view the kids comfort. Kids asked for water.The car had no car seats and no water bottles. Which was quite a surprise.
On arrival we were told the room booked could not accommodate all four of us. Another unpleasant surprise as my husband had already e mailed them regarding the age of children and we had assumed all was ok as the hotel correspondence didnot indicate otherwise. They were able to upgrade the room with 55 euro extra per night. However check in took much longer than expected. Breakfast was included however it was a disappointment from the runny scrambled eggs to the spread in general. The waiter took coffee orders and seemed to have forgotten as i found her chatting at the coffee station after waiting a good 15 min.
All through the stay the staff seemed untrained and even lost at times. One day i went up with my daughter to the sky roof hot tub/pool where a sign displayed showed" closed for maintainence sorry for inconvenience" i asked a staff member there who seemed confused at first and then came back telling us it was closed. I called reception and was told the sky roof bar was open. I informed them of the sign, they seemed unaware. On our way back the sign had been removed.
The hotel in the way of construction seemed to be falling apart literally. One time i pressed the elevator switch on the outside the whole base ( switch bracket) seemed to come off with wires visible. The light switch bracket frame fell off on its own one day in our room and room service picked it up off the floor and left it on the table.
Room service was poor as the glasses were placed back without being washed.
There were no tv channels for kids in the room. The hotel sent up a dvd player and some dvds for the kids. Although the situation was remedied but it was a surprise not having any kids entertainment on tv in the first place.
All in all the experience was mediocre. The only saving grace was that the rooms were a good size. It doesnot live upto the jumeirah name, having stayed at others in this hotel chain. With a little attention to detail thungs can be improved significantly.

Dear Guest,

I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations. I personally took care of you since your arrival as I saw some trouble at the check in.

In fact you had a reservation for a junior suite for two people but you were 4 (2 adults + 2 children), reason why we spent sometime to solve this problem; anyway we promptly upgraded you to a suite charging you just the extra bed for the children in order to assure you a quick and special service.

I hope the small shortfalls with the tv channels which depend by the satellite signal and the maintenance work of few hours at the pool, will not tarnish your overall impression of Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto and deter you from staying with us. It would be our privilege to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 26 July 2013

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights when visiting Rome. This is really a top notch hotel, with first class service and amenities. The check-in process was very easy and welcoming. The reception is different from other hotels, here the receptionist sits behind a desk with my wife and I sitting on the opposite end. We were served a complementary espresso and cappuccino during the check-in process.
The rooms are very nice and modern, and VERY clean. Closet space is a bit small, but we managed. We stayed in a quiet room facing the courtyard (important to me since I'm a light sleeper.
Although not that large, the fitness center is also very nice and modern.

Location: the hotel is located on Via Veneto which used to be a busy shopping street (not much to see / do on this street nowadays). Location is ok, not great. About a 8-10 minute walk to the Spanish Steps.

We really have nothing bad to say about this hotel, everything is very calm and welcoming, a perfect hotel to come back to after a long day walking around. Will definitely come back!

Room Tip: Select a quiet room facing the courtyard if you're a light sleeper.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ayalm

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

Reviewed 14 July 2013

There are many wonderful places to stay in Rome and this is NOT one of them. The reception at check in was unwelcoming (almost rude and unpleasant). Check in was late and then they simply handed me the keys without any directions or escort to the room. Check out was no better and there was barely a "thank you for your stay." The staff was very unfriendly and the service was poor. Sofitel was located nearby - I would try there. The hotel facility was nice (probably 5 star) but the staff and service was 1 star.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ilaria L, Front Of House Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this reviewResponded 20 July 2013

Dear Guest,

I was concerned to read that on this occasion we did not meet some of your expectations. I have noted your comment and dissatisfaction regarding not being able to give you the right welcoming upon arrival.

Regarding the behavior of some of our colleagues, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused in this respect. This is certainly not the level of service we want our guests to experience. I have personally looked in this matter and communicated with our outlets managers that more trainings should be provided to our staff to guarantee that all our guests are fully satisfied with the service.

II would like to thank you once again for sharing your feedback with us and thereby giving us the opportunity to enhance our service quality. I do hope that this experience will not deter you from visiting Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto in the future and you will allow us the opportunity to restore your confidence in the ultimate hospitality Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via veneto is renowned for.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Our family of five, three boys (11,8,6), spent three nights here at the end of June. We had booked two adjoining deluxe rooms but were informed at check in that we were over the occupancy limit so were given a junior suite and a deluxe room that shared a small private hall. In effect we had a two bedroom, two bath suite. The suite faced the street while the deluxe room had a single window looking into a light well. We found both rooms very spacious, not the usual adjustment from what you would expect in the US versus what you expect in Europe, with large bathrooms and high ceilings. The decor was attractive, modern, clean if not necessarily what I would choose.

The big hit of the stay with our group was the roof terrace. It is lightly used and you can have room service deliver to you there. Most importantly from our sons' point of view it had a small pool/hot tub. It's roughly 6' x 5' and we never figured out how to get the heater or jets working but it was late June so the kids didn't really care. They had it to themselves.

The breakfast was good but is geared to European tastes so some flexibility is required.

The location was very good for us. It is on the same street was several high end hotels as well as the US Embassy. Attractive and relatively quiet. There are good, local, restaurants nearby but not much in the way of high street shopping, which we don't care about. The Borghese Gardens are two blocks away, which we cared about a great deal and spent a fare amount of time in. The zoo was a big hit. The presentation is a little dated but it was good enough and I enjoyed being around some actual Romans and not 20,000 of my fellow countrymen as was the case everywhere else we went.

The staff was universally great.

We would absolutely return here and hope to find more like it. The price tag is large, I'm not saying that it's a bargain and don't know whether it is a value relative to its competitors but they delivered the product you would expect for the price you are paying.

Room Tip: I think we would have been disappointed had we only had windows in the light well.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feed back on the Tripadvisor.
We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the location which is the true centre of the city: Via Veneto street! Also the service provided by our colleagues that you kindly define “universally great”.

Yours Sincerely