“Not like Jumeirah hotels in Dubai”

Grand Hotel Via Veneto
Ranked #135 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Me and my family recently stayed there for three nights and wasn't really satisfied with the hotel. I start with positives points.
The service was very good and the staff were very nice, polite and helpful. The concierge was very good and we were really happy with their restaurants recommendations. Their spa was amazing, the best I've ever been into. The hotel is located in a nice area but a bit far from main attractions. However, the view of the room was terrible, the sofa was really old and looked dirty that we had to cover it with a white sheet. There were lots of stains on the wall papers which looked very bad. The marble and tile grouting in the bathroom was really bad. The carpet looked dirty and old (both in the room and corridors). The baby bed was kind of broken and it was not sable at all that we had to ask them to change it. They had no amenities for baby. The breakfast was very ordinary and nothing special, didn't worth €30+.
I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Negar A
Ilaria L, Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Mrs. Negar A,

Thank you for sharing your experience on your recent stay with us. We always do our best to satisfy our Guests, although there are some inconveniences that may happen. I am glad to hear that you encountered a good welcome and a nice service.
I was very concerned to read that you were left to feel disappointed about some aspects of your room. Our custom-made wood furniture are hand crafted and inspired by art deco style, really valuable. In the bathroom we have Carrara marble, one of the most precious stone. About the hygiene, I can guarantee that our room are deeply cleaned every day. I am sorry that you had the impression that the baby bed was not so stable but of course we have changed it immediately as per your request. Our breakfast offers Italian and international specialties, but of course everyone has personal tastes.
I do sincerely hope that you will decide to return to Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto and give us an opportunity to restore your confidence.

Please accept my invitation to come back and have a true excellent stay and I will personally assist you.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Jemeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto recently for four four nights before embarking on a Mediterranean cruise. I cannot express what a wonderful experience it was. Ilaria and her concierge staff went above and beyond the ordinary to make sure we had a wonderful stay. I corresponded with them early for information which they happily provided by email. From excellent, luxurious accommodations to assistance in picking the right restaurants and touring plans, they took care of us better than we have been in any other hotel in which we have stayed worldwide. I greatly recommend this hotel for a visit to Rome. It's location, elegance, and staff is unmatched.
Dr. Russ Erman

Room Tip: Balcony view was wonderful.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ilaria L, Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Dear Dr. Erman,

Thank you for posting such a great review on TripAdvisor, following your stay at Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto. I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to post this comment, in fact we greatly value the feedback which we receive from our Guests as we constantly strive to maintain a consistently high standard of service. It is gratifying to note that you were impressed with the level of service from our colleagues and that we anticipated your needs and requirements. Our passionate staff work hard to offer each Guest a memorable travel experience.
It gives us great pride to read that you not only enjoyed the facility and the location but our staff assisted you and made your stay very exciting and memorable.
We are very glad to know that you had a good time with us, we look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 16 July 2014

My partner and I had just left Tuscany and were spending two days in Rome prior to our flight back home. We arrived at the Jumeirah at 10:00 AM and were warmly greeted and well treated by the staff. Our room was well appointed, extremely clean, and modern. The staff was consistently professional, helpful and friendly. We ate several meals at the Time Restaurant. The food was well prepared and we don't have one complaint about the wait staff. We spent a day at the spa where again the staff was very helpful, the entire area was immaculate and restful. When we were planning to leave all accommodations were made for us by the hotel. We would not hesitate to return or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ilaria L, Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2014

Dear Carola,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback on Tripadvisor following your visit to Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto. We are very glad to know that you had a good time with us, we are even more pleased to know that you appreciate every part of our hotel: our restaurant and the cuisine, our spa, the room as well as the professionalism of our staff and our facilities.

It is wonderful to read your review as to what all guests can expect from the Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto - exceptional service and room appointments that meet the highest standard of luxury. We are delighted that we provided the perfect setting for you and your partner to create unforgettable moments.

We are eager to welcome you again in the future at Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto!

Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed there for 3 nights, Front desk was great and check in and check out fast and efficient.
and really a 5stars hotel with a suite of not even a 1 star..the service was perfect, very nice lobby!! nice people always polite and helpful, they did gave us a nice room first, but we had to change cause my nephew was staying with us the last night so they upgrade us in a suite and we payed the difference! but what a suite?? the view was terrible in a court full of garbages, and neighbors who have the clothes drying, so it was impossible to open the windows, the bathroom was in very bad condition, mold all around the shower and smelling. I think theses 5 stars hotel should stop thinking we customers are naif or what, just because of that, I will never use this hotel anymore, this should never happen and they should check the room before giving them to customer, also the hotel was almost empty when they gave the suite so I still dont get it why.

Room Tip: Never use this hotel, too expensive for a 5 star,
Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank nelly799

Dear Mrs. Nelly799,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and thank you for higlighting the good points you have remarked about efficiency, politeness, rapidity and helpfulness. I am very sorry about the misundertanding about the occupancy of the room you booked. The third bed worth an additional cost, as usual in the hotel policies, and if we are not previousely advised on the presence of a third person coming later, it may mean that the room as to be changed. Evidently, in that moment other categories different from suites were not available.
We are conscious that a bad impression about something can be extended to other different aspects, so maybe this could have influenced your overall impression about the room we offered for three people. From my side, I can ensure that hygiene and freshness are essential for us and we check every day our rooms and suites. Our furniture and facilities are prepared to guarantee a luxury experience and an easy and relaxing holiday. We encourage our Guests to involve us for any additional support we may offer to.

We present our sincerest apologies for this unpleasant experience. We sincerely hope you will restore your faith in us and if you will decide to come back, please contact me directly and I will personally take care of your stay. We will be eager to welcome you in the near future at Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto.

Reviewed 12 July 2014 via mobile

Being a regular visitor to Jumeirah hotels I have to say "what a disappointment " old furniture , wallpaper full of marks and not at all in my experience a five star hotel!

Locating is good and staff pretty friendly, but pffff crap hotel ! Sorry guys but a refurb is due and quick!!!!

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Filipewd

Dear Mr. Filipewd,

Thank you for sharing your viewpoint on your recent experience with us and to extend a good remark about our location and also our staff, who is always delighted to know that his pleasantness is well recognized.
Our custom-made furniture are in precious woods, such as mahogany, ebony and rosewood, and they are hand crafted in art deco style but, of course, perceptions and tastes are personal. Thank you for your suggestion about an eventual renovation, we are in continuous improvement and we hope that next time we will better meet your expectations.

Please visit us soon again, we would be more than happy to welcome you in our Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto and offer you truly five star experience.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We stayed her for 4 nights during the last leg of our trip to Rome/Umbria.

I hope you're reading this Jumeirah Grand Hotel Management, because we REALLY wanted to like the property, but there were far too many flaws that should never occur in a 5-star hotel. Service was always a hit or miss, NEVER consistent.

Pros:
- Great location; lovely lobby
- Fantastic door men
- Great staff at the hotel bar
- Bell hops were great with our luggage
- Room had a great view of the Via Veneto
- Front Desk Person (I think her name was Yulia) who checked us into our room was very good
- Breakfast buffet was good and substantial

Cons:

The service was so INCONSISTENT during the entire 4-day stay. While the person who checked us in was very good, the concierge staff that we interacted with were often aloof and unfriendly.

We ate the roof top restaurant for dinner one night. It's has a Sicilian grill theme. The food was mediocre but the cocktails were good. Clearly you dine here for the convenience and the view, not the cuisine. You're in Rome--there are so many other choices for amazing food. As Americans, we can't help wanting to tip. On the night we had dinner there (4 of us), we were the only diners that gave the server a tip, and we were happy to do so. Fast forward the next evening...before going out do dinner, my husband went back up to the roof top to watch the World Cup. He sat there for 40 minutes watching the game and not a single person came up to him to ask if he wanted a drink or menu--which included the young man we tipped the night before.

Twice when returning to the hotel after dinner, usually around midnight, the front desk staff never greeted us. Just let us walk right by without a word. Very strange for any hotel, 5-star or not.

Good/friendly/efficient service was a hit or miss during breakfast; it depended on the day.

The condition of the room was surprisingly shabby and downright strange (**SEE PHOTOS**). While we had a great view, the overall condition of the room was pretty bad. Firstly, our duvet cover had an obvious tear smack dab in the middle of the comforter. While that might be a minor flaw, it was immediately noticeable and we wondered why housekeeping hadn't noticed it. Housekeeping service was also a hit or miss. Some days, they would replenish the toiletries, sometimes not. Some days they would vacuum the room, some days they wouldn't. The decorative base boards around the entire room were horribly chipped. There were glaring, strange-looking stains on the carpet. We were alarmed to see what looked like black mold on the corner of the shower/tub. After close inspection, it turned out to be some sort of dark resin used to fill in cracks, which didn't match the color of the synthetic wood. Yes, that's right, the entire bathroom is covered in some type of wood veneer that was starting to warp/lift up. The metal strip that separated the marble tile and carpet between the bathroom and the bedroom had popped up, which we tripped over several times. The most bizarre aspect of the room was that all the walls were covered in thick, padded upholstery fabric! I kid you not! Why would any designer choose to cover a hotel room in padded fabric? The walls were badly stained and obviously could not be painted or cleaned adequately. Another totally bizarre aspect to the room were the large drawers installed in the closet--you couldn't pull them out because the folding closet door was in the way; so they were totally unusable!!!! (see photo). Furthermore, every time we opened the safe door, it smacked into the closet door. Attn: Jumeirah Grand Hotel, demand your money back from the interior designer!!

One morning, we could hear the guest next door singing "Volare" so clearly and loudly from our bathroom that it was like he was in there with us. It was kind of scary.

And last but not least, we noticed the OBVIOUS presence every night of a couple of "working ladies" stationed directly across the street from the hotel. As we got out of a taxi one night, one motioned us with her hand to come over. This is definitely something we were NOT expecting on the Via Veneto,

I sincerely hope hotel management reads this review and addresses these crazy issues and trains staff in efficient service. The sad part is, we would have probably overlooked all the room's horrible flaws had the overall service been excellent--it was not. Sadly, the hotel fell short of our expectations from a 5-star hotel. This hotel is in such a great location and it's such a shame that the staff members aren't connecting the dots and providing efficient, 5-star service.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank DP234
Ilaria L, Hotel Manager at Grand Hotel Via Veneto, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2014

Dear Ms. DP,

Thank you for your in-depth review of our Hotel and for having taken the time to write it. Of course we do express gratitude for your effort to extend some good suggestions for us and we can ensure that we take all comments in great consideration to improve our standards day by day.

First, I would like to express my joy as you have remarked our good points as well. Thank you for observing how great is our location and “lovely” our lobby, in pure Ruhlmann style, with custom made wood furniture and a unique glass ceiling offlowing waters, that welcome Guests in a smart stylish setting.

Our personnel is oriented in working with passion, carefulness and authenticity, in order to achieve the excellence, which is our daily objective in every single action. That is why your good notes on service and breakfast are so important for us and, in the meantime, we are so worried when you point out our flaws on it.

It is true that our Sky Bar&Grill is in a beautiful scenario, with a magical view of Rome, located in our terrace which is the perfect place to relax in a quiet atmosphere, take in some sun during the day and enjoy the intimate Jacuzzi while having a light snack or cocktail. However, we are also proud to provide fresh delicious dishes, with an Italian and international cuisine choice. We are very surprised and very sorry that you haven’t appreciate our cuisine, of course it is something personal. Tradition and culinary culture are the key elements of our gastronomy and we put a great care in providing an high quality selection of Italian traditional food and beverages. We are glad you have appreciated our cocktails.

Usually our staff is friendly and welcoming, as you have noticed and our Guests refers a genuine warm feeling displayed by everyone in the team and by the high quality of our food, but evidently this did not always happen when you were with us. My apologies for this. It may occur they consider it would be better to leave our Guests just relax and stay in their own. We do our best to make every important aspect of the customer experience better and better. We have talked about this point and considered to be more proactive, thank you for your encouragement.

About your room, we are pleased to know you have enjoyed the nice view and very sorry you have found some imperfections. Our daily inspection process should have signaled your room for attention by the maintenance before you had to experience any inconvenience. We are very sorry for this gap and we thank you for your notes that we have shared with our maintenance team. We also shared your comments with our housekeeping team, that is now more motivated to do better and with more continuity.

The issue about to see some particular ladies nearby the hotel is out of our possibility to action, we just can ensure that Via Veneto is a neighborhood safe and elegant.

In closing I want to thank you again for your observations and assure you that they help me and my team to improve our service and our procedures. In general the overall response of our Guests puts us among the best hotels in Italy, I am very dejected that you could not leave with that impression.

That is why I invite you to come again to visit us when you are in Rome, I certainly look forward to welcoming you back in person, hopefully in the near future and let you experience the wonderful truly five star stay that Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto is used to provide to all his valued Guests.

Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

Small, cramped and dingy room. Had a small first floor room, looking inwards at an ugly wall. Staff were polite and the hotel is well presented though, just wasn't happy with the room. Decor was quite drab too.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr. Boingu,

I would thank you for your review, not only for the time you have spent in it but also because it let me know what easily this situation could be arranged but unfortunately evidently we miss our communication with you. We did not know it was your honeymoon, we could provide more attention to your welcome and we could offer another room once known you did not like it. What a shame! I do hope you will decide to come back to visit us, I would like to welcome you personally and ensure to you and your wife a wonderful 5 stars experience at Jumeirah Grand Hotel Via Veneto!

Warm Regards,