“Perfect peaceful haven!”

Ranked #188 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
Suffolk, United Kingdom
“Perfect peaceful haven!”
Reviewed 19 May 2014 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at this hotel where the the staff and service were fantastic! As other reviewers have said, it is not a city centre hotel but that is one of the reasons we chose to stay here! After a busy day in a very hectic city it was sheer bliss to return to a place where you could listen to the birds singing whilst enjoying a glass of wine on the terrace! We part walked/taxid to the city centre rather than brave public transport! The hotel is beautiful, clean and comfortable and the breakfast was more than adequate for us. We would highly recommend this hotel!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
duseduse, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Dear guests,

I'm glad to know that your stay in our Villa was just wonderful and relaxing as you described it! We are very proud to hear that we made your stay so enjoyable! All our staff will be more than happy to welcome you again!

Kindest Regards
Maria Rosaria Mastroianni

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Greek first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My husband and i have just returned from a weeks stay at this hotel and could not fault it. The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful. I would say the location is perhaps not ideal if you want to be is the centre. however, we have been to Rome many times and it suited us to have a quiet district to stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
duseduse, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear guest,

I am so glad to hear that your staying at Villa Duse was an enjoyable one and all the staff thank you for the very nice review!
We really hope to welcome you again in Rome,

New York
Reviewed 29 April 2014

The very best thing I can say about the hotel Villa Duse my great pleasure every time I had dealings with each member of the staff. As I was treating several friends for their birthdays, I booked well in advance. As the time grew closer, I double checked, more than once, to confirm. Every time I called my questions and requests were treated with utmost courtesy. When we arrived, when we needed a cab to get to our dinner reservation, and certainly when we checked out each staff member at the front desk did all that was possible to meet our not inconsiderable needs. The lovely young woman at check out was outstanding.

Villa Duse was once a private home, and I certainly felt as if I were a guest in that long past era. When we left, I received a e-mail indicating that something was left in our room. Once again, the courtesy and consideration offered, seeing to it that what was left would be returned in the manner that I preferred, indicates the simultaneous warmth and class of the employees.

The Parioli section of Rome is certainly a place one might dream of living. Here, there is a sense of gracious elegance and comfort. As we had spent this vacation in another part of Italy, and only stayed the one night before heading to the airport, I look forward to returning and digesting the pleasures of this neighborhood and the comforts of the Villa Duse.

I might add that because our stay was so brief, we only had the following morning to enjoy breakfast. It most certainly did not disappoint. As they say in Italy, alls prossima.

Room Tip: Enjoy the photos, they are true. Rooms are spacious compared to others closed to the center of Rome.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank newyorkscreen
Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 April 2014

These opinions are read by hundreds, if not thousands, of travellers - not that my opinion means so much. Still, I do feel obliged to be as fair as possible. In this situation, a planned afternoon arrival with time for a stroll to the Villa Borghese, as well as time to enjoy the amenities and grounds of this much-praised hotel, was thwarted by an unexpected delay that caused us to arrive at 8:30 PM. No walk, no nap, no time to do anything but race to change in order to arrive an hour late for our dinner reservation. Thus, all we did was to sleep at Villa Duse and run out in the morning. With that in mind, it is hard to offer a fair assessment of the property. First, there was almost no toilet paper in the bathroom. I carry my own, so I had two rolls, but a full roll of toilet paper with a ribbon or a turned corner is a signal that proper maid service has been completed, so that was worrisome. On the way back in from dinner, we asked the night man for bottled water, which he told us we could find in the room. What we found in the room was one open and partially consumed bottle of water. That's when I noticed that one of the pillow shams was freshly changed and the other one was not. This combination (lack of toilet paper, partially consumed water bottle, and used pillow sham) led me to believe that the room was either not serviced or had been serviced before being fully vacated, both of which are unacceptable for an upscale hotel. We slept, had breakfast, and left for the airport, so our stay in Rome and at the Villa Duse were not what we had hoped for, though the breakfast room is lovely and the food is quite good. However, while packing, I was horrified to see a VERY LARGE cockroach scuttling across the red striped settee, headed right for my suitcase! This was unbelievable to me. Yes, I suppose every building in the world can have a cockroach, but in my hotel room and in my suitcase? We managed to scare it away, but when I went to dispatch it to roach heaven, it slipped under the settee. As we left the hotel, it was to assurances that the room was being sprayed. Ugh. Not a pleasant memory.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank LATraveller77
duseduse, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to convey to you our sincere apologies for all the inconveniences you experienced during your stay.

Our chambermaid Theresa, is always very careful in cleaning all the rooms. By checking her daily covertures board, we have noticed that all the pillow cases had been changed before your arrival so we were really surprised that you have found one of them "used".

Regarding your comments about the toilet paper, according to our green program, we do not replace the old roll but we turn the end corners. Unfortunately in your case, as you mentioned in your email, it had not been done and we sincerely apologize.
However, we are pretty sure a new roll was available under the sink, but we understand you might not have seen it just because it was not in evidence, but it’s a shame you did not call the reception because we could have quickly resolved this problem.

Reading your comments about the partially consumed bottle of water, our chambermaid probably did not notice that one of the 4 bottles of water in the minibar, was opened.
It had been a negligence from our end, for that reason please accept once more our apologies for this matter.

Unfortunately, to make matters worse, for some strange reasons, a cockroach managed to get into your room probably from your garden’s private terrace. This is of course absolutely unacceptable and trust me that it has never happened before because we regularly disinfest all the Hotel. We are terribly sorry for this.

We completely appreciate your dissatisfaction, but please rest assure that this is not our normal level of standards. My staff and I
will be really honored to welcome you again at the Hotel Villa Duse.
You can be sure we will do our outmost to make you next stay at our hotel an enjoyable and an unforgettable one.

With our warmest regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2014 via mobile

In a northern section of Rome, just a stroll from Villa Borghese, waits the Hotel Villa Duse. Tucked away on a quiet block adjacent Via Elanore Duse, the hotel evokes its namesake Duse: intelligent, romantic, captivating.
A former private residence, Villa Duse is an intimate treat for sophisticated visitors to Rome.

This is a place where every detail is cared for and curated--you'll find the exterior courtyard inviting, the staff pleasant and knowledgable, and the rooms elegantly furnished. Book a room with an outdoor space and you'll be treated to a relaxing oasis from the bustle of the city center. This is the kind of place where you'll want to eat room service breakfast on your terrace and sit there all morning reading and adjusting to the time zone. If you're American you'll want to order the organic eggs (listed as "biological eggs" on the menu, a quirky translation). We had the omelette with ham and cheese and the scrambled eggs with bacon: both were excellent, and a relief from the warnings we'd heard about how hard it would be to find a hearty breakfast with eggs in Rome.

If you're worried about how to get around you may want to stay somewhere closer to the sites. However, if public transportation and taxis don't phase you and you need an smart escape every night from the other tourists, if you want to visit and truly do like the Romans then make a reservation at Villa Duse. You'll be very happy with your decision--and especially so if you have an eye for the sublime and appreciate the thought behind a detail, like Duse herself: "If the sight of the blue skies fills you with joy, if a blade of grass springing up in the fields has power to move you, if the simple things of nature have a message that you understand, rejoice, for your soul is alive..."

Thank you for a special experience.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris K
duseduse, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, 4 April 2014
Dear Mr Chris,

What an awesome review! By reading it with all the staff, we were really touched. Thank you so much Mr. Cris for the time you spent in sharing on Trip Advisor, your special experience with us in a such detailed and illustrated way.
We are really honored to hear your stay at the Hotel Villa Duse was so wonderful.
Also, be sure Mr. Cris we will keep in consideration your suggestion about translating in our menu “uova biologica” into “organics eggs”.
Actually we were not so sure about the exact words to use, and your observation will be really precious for us to improve our quality and service.

We sincerely hope to welcome you again at the Hotel Villa Duse.

With our warmest regards,

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 15 March 2014

This hotel was a a home to a very well known lady who has converted it from her villa to a beautiful hotel. Staff very friendly and excellent service. Very posh area of rome and surprisingly quiet. 20 min to the core of rome by cab or 30 min by subway/streetcar.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank Oliver S
duseduse, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, 19 March 2014
Dear Guest,

I sincerely thank you for having spent your time in writing your opinion on Villa Duse.
We hope to have the possibility to welcome you again in Rome,

Los Altos, California
Reviewed 10 March 2014

After a more than 12-hour flight from the west coast, we arrived at the hotel early in the morning. When we were told the room was ready for us. We were so happy! Yes! Hot shower and a comfy bed!
The room and bath seemed to be small at first sight. I was wrong! There is plenty of shelving space for our luggage. And the design of the marbled bathroom uses the space very wisely. The most important thing: it’s very clean!
My husband and I enjoyed their breakfast very much! Freshly baked bread and cakes every morning, and variety of delicious fruits were also available. We ate well before starting our exploration in the city every morning.
The service of the hotel is the best part. We bought Roma Pass and wanted to use it for Galleria Borghese. Reservation for the Galleria Borghese is required. I tried to do it on-line but it doesn’t work well with a Pass. We talked to Giulia. She made a phone call for us immediately. It was taken care of in a minute! What a relief!
We are not coffee drinkers. We requested hot water almost every night. Two pots of hot water would be delivered even after the kitchen was closed. They will go extra miles to make the customer feel at home.
The hotel is in a very nice residential area. There is a small market if you walk about 8 minutes down the street. And the pizzeria next door is crowded with college students from across the street. We tried the food there which is really nice. We also watched a lot of local people ordering food there to take home for an easy meal.
The bus system in Rome is impossible. We figured out the best way to use the public transit system is instead of taking bus #52, take Tram #3 or #19 to Metro station. With the Euro 1.50 ticket you can use the ticket unlimited times on buses or trams within the 100 minutes time period (but you can only use the ticket once on Metro). You can buy the ticket from the hotel too. Another great service!
We stayed for ten nice and quiet nights in this hotel. Enjoyed every minute there! Thanks, Giulia, Miguel and Verica for your warm and kindly and extremely professional services. Thanks, Bramim and Theresa for always being there to offer the best quality service and food.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChooChoo2014
duseduse, Proprietario at Hotel Villa Duse, responded to this review, 13 March 2014
Dear Guest,

It is really a pleasure to read such a beautiful review from you.
Giulia and all Villa Duse staff told me about your kindness and the smile that you had every morning, and it is nice to host guest like you for more than a week!!
Moreover is so rewarding to hear that your staying with us was enjoyable as we always work to improve our service.
I thank you as well for sharing your opinion with all tripadvisor users!

I really hope to welcome you again and meet you personally!