“Nice food, quiet and unpretensious place”

La Fontanella Borghese
Ranked #9,252 of 12,871 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Campo Marzio
Reviewed 18 October 2012

Yes, Virginia, you can go home!. Returned to La Fontanella after an 18 year absence and while it now it is owned by Bruno, the food and the atmpsphere is as good as we remember. Had a great lunch there under Bruno's tutelage. We hope we do not have to wait another 18 years to go back. Try it, uncomplicated food prepared to perfection, you'll like it.

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Bruno and his son know food! My husband struck up a conversation about Abruzzo peppers (for pepperoncini) with Bruno the first time we ate there. Bruno knew the regional differences - and the next day had some for my husband. How thoughtful - and that was just the beginning.....

The menu is varied so that you can eat there several days in a row (as we did) and find something new each time! The food and the presentation of the food is superb. The ingredients are fresh and local. The mozzarella in carrozza is a "must have" item. The house wine is splendid. The portions are sufficient for teenage boys. Their attention to customers is unparalled! They are gracious and accomodating hosts. We will rave about this restaurant for years and recommend it to everyone we know.

Reviewed 29 July 2012

While strolling through the neighborhood, we noticed this charming restaurant and decided to give it a try. We were promptly seated at an outside table which provided a glimpse into daily Roma life. Our waiter was attentive and friendly; anything we asked for was quickly delivered.

By far, this was our best dinner in Rome. We were looking for authentic Italian food and were not disappointed. The owner personally came to our table and made specific recommendations; everything was delicious. Hubby & I split a delicious bottle of red while our girls enjoyed local sodas. The calamari was the best I have had.

Don't miss the interior where a beautiful mosaic wall awaits. My husband, two young daughters & I were throughly entertained by the locale, the owner & the waitstaff. Thanks for making this such a memorable dinner for our last night in Rome.

Reviewed 2 May 2012

I loved it! A fantastic service. Good italian food... "for those who think that pasta it is just a simple meal... they are totally wrong". the spices and the "al dente" cooking were perfect.
the price worth the food, but only if you are a gourmet. The wine proposed by the waiter was absolutly perfect. Merci for this great experience.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

This was a total unexpected visit, we where both hungry and while passing the Restaurant decided to ask for a Table. We where sitting inside and it looked very nice, the wall behind us displayed a beautiful mosaic you keep on glimpsing at.

We where introduced by our Waiter for the evening and he was just fantastic. I was not sure about my choice of Italian wine and requested some guidance from the Waiter. He picked a perfect choice from my request. The entire time of our stay we where looked after, no waiting time and even received a disegtive on the house at the end of the dinner.

The food was just fantastic, I ordered for Starters Spaghetti in Basil and Chili and it was so tasty, not a hint to spicy just perfect. For the main course I had the Fillet in a fantastic truffle sauce that was very tasty and the meat was perfect. For Desert we had to try the tiramisu and it was so yummy. It was intact the best tiramisu i had while staying in Rome.

I can only recommend going to this place, its warm, great service, fantastic food and all for a reasonable price. We paid 168 EURO for 2 People (3 course menu with a 60 EUR Bottle wine and I had 2 main courses). Where I come from that is dead cheap.

I look forward to my next trip to Rome.

Been to La Fontanella Borghese? Share your experiences!