“Great meal, great service”

Trattoria da Danilo
Ranked #2,066 of 12,268 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$25 - US$70
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Esquilino
Melbourne, Australia
“Great meal, great service”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Went there on a Monday night. No reservation but seated immediately. Staff excellent - pleasant, coped with poor Italian, attentive. The carbonara was superb, the best I've ever tasted. My main was arbachio, which had bones but plenty of meat and great flavours. My partner had anchovy, done fritto, which was fantastic. We shared a tiramisu, also fantastic. We drank a great bottle of Amarone for 42euro. Overall, not a cheap meal but great food, wine, and ambience. Would recommend this place highly.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Peter H

• Korean first
Boston
“Great meal and great service”
Reviewed 27 April 2014

Sorry that others did not have the experience we did.
We were sat within 10 minutes of our 8pm reservation and found our waiter friendly and helpful.
We started with 2 orders of the combo antipasti for the four of us. It consisted of a number of small plates. Not the typical meat and cheese and highly recommended. We then shared 4 pastas: Carbonara with and without truffles and 2 other specials. I asked the waiter to suggest a local red from Lazio and I loved his choice which was only 20 euros.
Would have happily returned a second time.

• Visited April 2014
3 Thank mhpif
Boonton, New Jersey
“Stay Away”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I have been visiting Rome for thirty years. I speak passable Italian and know Italian food quite well. This March I had the worst meal for value I have ever experienced. I visited twice to be fair. The first experience was mediocre for the price. The carbonara was ok; the coratella (a roman standard of innards -the quinto quarto) was below average. The second meal was alarmingly bad. It was a mid week pranzo (lunch). The abacchio (Roman style lamb) was little more than boiled bone and gristle covered with a thin sauce. The price for this dish alone was 18 euros! That's $25. The artichoke( a Roman specilalty for 6 euros was almost mush. The waiter who said the dish was buono would not look me in the eye when he presented the bill. I said nothing because I was afraid I would lose my temper. No one who cares about food would serve such awful food at such outlandish prices.

• Visited March 2014
5 Thank RSantaloci
Germany
“Go somewhere else”
Reviewed 1 March 2014 via mobile

Nothing for tourists, only Italiens are treated appropriately. For the non-Italiens, food is served in the basement with a terrible atmosphere and unfriendly waiters. Food is ok, but there are plenty of others places in Rome where they are happy to serve you (and have also good carbonara)!

Visited February 2014
5 Thank Hen P
Rome, Lazio, Italy
“delicious food”
Reviewed 27 February 2014

If you want to eat authentic roman food and want to be in a nice environment this is the right place.
The prices are maybe a little high but it is worth it.
Even if I tried it, I like to go there again once in a while.

• Visited September 2013

Been to Trattoria da Danilo? Share your experiences!