“Nasty”

Ristorante Paris in Trastevere
Reserve with
Ristorante Paris in Trastevere is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,278 of 12,590 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$42 - US$60
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trastevere
Reviewed 28 April 2014

We have apartment in Rome, quite close to this restaurant. For reasons I don't remember, we stopped going there some years ago. The other night, my wife, who's Italian born, decided she wanted to try it again, with an American guest who's lived in Italy for several years. For the first course, we had artichokes, in season, both romana and fritti. Not great but ok. For pasta, we shared a dish of cacio e pepe and our guest had a different one. When they arrived, we all agreed they were very salty. When we complained, they were removed and one of the manager staff came and asked whether we wanted to try the same again or change. He then insisted, in a quite strong and nasty way, that cacio e pepe is naturally salty, so there was no point in repeating the exercise. He made no point about our guest's dish. The assumption was none of us had a clue about Italian food, which considering my wife's background, and my time here, was offensive. Rather than make more of a fuss, we continued with a main course, which was also not great but ok, and left promptly.
So much for the customer is always right! I don't think Paris (restaurant) will be seeing us again.
Michael f

2  Thank michael f
Dario C, Proprietario at Ristorante Paris in Trastevere, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Customer is always right is our way to think , infact in 30 years that I and my family are running this restaurant just 3 or 4 times I didn't agree with a customer.
You had spaghetti cheese and pepper sauce , about you too salty.
We coocked about 15 portions of that pasta and your in the same pan with another 3 portions , no one complained , infact we tasted and It was normal.
We changed your pasta but my suggestion was with another pasta because in spaghetti cheese and pepper sauce there is no salt and tasting the second portion you would have said it's too salty yet.
Your wife was disappointed and cancelled your order for the pasta.
I'm sorry but I can't agree with your wife when she tell me I had to boil pasta without salt in the water, bowling pasta in salty water is the first rule for a chef.
Anyway in your bill there wasn't any pasta , this is why we think "customer is always right" , with few exceptions.

There are newer reviews for Ristorante Paris in Trastevere

Reviewed 21 April 2014

We went on a Friday night and by 8:30, the huge covered terrace was jammed. This is a nice place to go if you're looking for a bit of a splurge or a splashy night out. Would go back just to have the house-made bresaolo and the sea bass with red onion sauce again - both excellent! My travelling companion started with the oysters (which were so-so) but also had the sea bass and thought it was divine. The wine list was extensive. Service was indifferent but decent.

1  Thank RobinH382
Reviewed 17 April 2014

We've been stopping here for lunch on our annual visits for the past five years after a recommendation from a local. Always very good and will remain a "must" on our Rome itineraries. This time we had a group of 14 stop for lunch. Great service and authentic Roman food with origins in the old Jewish Ghetto. A little off the beaten tourist path in Trastevere.

1  Thank sean b
Reviewed 12 March 2014

By recommendations from a Danish writer Thomas Harder we went for lunch at Paris in Trastevere. The atmosphere was relaxed in a kind of oldfashioned way. Our waiter was a polite gentleman speaking a beautiful Italian... describing all the specials of the day, so that everything sounded worth having.
All of our choises turned out excellent from the Gran Fritto Vegetale to the soups and pastas. I can't imagine this restaurant making other than excellent food.
Mille Grazie!

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I wouldn't say Paris is your typical tourist restaurant despite it's good location. On the quiet Sunday evening my boyfriend and I went in I think we were the only non-Italians and due to my terrible language skills we muddled through ordering and were very impressed by the food. Like other reviewers I can highly recommend their specialty, the fried vegetables. I believe ours were pumpkin flowers, stuffed with Mozzarella, we shared a plateful as a starter before both ordering steak. My large fillet steak in green pepper sauce was deliciously tender and the fried potatoes that came with my boyfriends steak were moreish! Oh and we squeezed a pasta dish in each before the secondi course. Desserts are ok, but go big on savory would be my advice. Service was excellent and patient!