“Great food, I mean great, service was rather stoic”

La Frusta Ristorante
Reserve with
La Frusta Ristorante is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,891 of 12,855 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 4 June 2014

We stumbled upon this restaurant near our hotel, Michelangelo. I really wanted a steak and they seemed to be the only one that was open with one on the menu. We were brought inside rather than eat outside. The temperature had to be in the 80's, it was evening, and I found the inside rather stuffy and warm. We were given the typical menu with the appetizer, first plate, second plate etc... but we just picked what sounded good to us. The waiter was not very helpful or cheerful. I started with the torrenelli pasta with bacon (a la Gricia), a pasta I had never had. I was in love, it is a rather tougher pasta, thicker than spaghetti, but it was so good. I then ordered the grilled steak Griglia and it came with roasted potatoes. It was marvelous. I ordered well done and it came back a bit Pittsburg, like I like it, however as I got further into the steak it was much more rare than I would eat, red from top to bottom and a little bloody. I was so full by then it didn't matter, I just ate around the sides and left the raw middle. My husband had the lamb stew. It look like a bowl of little ribs, greyish in color, with no visible soup. We were both surprised at how it looked but he was very happy with the taste. The meal was about 60 euros and well worth it. They could work on their service demeanor to improve but the food was very good.

Reviewed 6 April 2014

I can see why some reviewers are frustrated with La Frustra, after having dined there four evenings over our last week in nearby Hotel Michelangelo. We preferred La Frustra over the rather pricey restaurant at the hotel. The waiters ARE pushy with the set menu, but with a reason: The set menus we had in my opinion ranged from good to excellent. We had three set menus, of which the first was very good, the second really excellent, and the third good. It probably is a good idea to ask firmly for the menu first, to ask what is on the set menu (the set menu we found to be excellent was with seafood), and to get a price quote on the set menu before you decide. The food is served with little ceremony and vainness, by the way, it's just plain Roman food plus some extra generosity, and we appreciated that very much.

Reviewed 28 March 2014

This restaurant has a menu on the door but we were obliged to take a set blind menu we were not explained for an unknown price. The food is average and the service is an absolute disgrace. When we mentioned I did not like fish I got served a disgusting meat looking dish and a microscopic dessert. If you envisage to visit this place, move on to the next door. What a tremendous disappointment considering the way the hotel recommended it... Rip off.

1  Thank Giacomo B
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Ate here twice when in Rome recently. Within walking distance of our hotel, friendly wait staff, good food.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

Six foreigners, first night in Rome and it looked like a nice place; then we went to order.
The waiter tried very hard to persuade us to have their set menu at 30 euros each, but we ordered what we wanted to his obvious dissatisfaction. When we did order, we were told that this would not suit the kitchen staff, because we had mainly ordered differently. ( How sad for them).
The wine came and one of our party also had the added extra of a finger nail floating in the glass, presumably in the glass beforehand. This matter was resolved by an unconcerned waiter who did bring a fresh glass but did not compensate by bringing a complimentary bottle, as he first promised.
Believe me, your stay would be far better if you give this place a wide berth.

1  Thank Mike D