“Absolutely Fantastic”

Ranked #21 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Donegal
“Absolutely Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

We stayed in this beautiful hotel at the beginning of our Honeymoon in June 2011. Staff were so friendly and helpful. The food in the rooftop restaurant was just amazing. Our room was just perfect with the most wonderful views of Rome. We will definately be back.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Manchester UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2011

The hotel promised so much.... fantastic location beautiful view over the Colosseum. The main problem with the hotel is the staff, particularly the front of house staff, they just are not that great, instead of nothing being too much trouble, most things are too much trouble! It seems that if it is not in their job description they are happy to just send you to another department in the hotel.

The rooms were serviced at odd hours, they phoned our room on two occasions after 10:30pm to let us know what the weather was going to be the next day, just weird!!

The rooms were clean, but small, well appointed, with comfy beds. We got the mini bar emptied on day one by the hotel so we could store food we had bought at a supermarket. They still managed to try charge us for three Campari sodas and three orange juices, we neither had nor had the means of having :-)

The head chef was a pretty decent guy and helped us with a specific dietary requirement., only after a difficult conversation with a front of house clerk and the manager Giuseppe.

All in all thought the hotel was expensive for what it was, and that was without the crummy service. With Crummy service, not a place I would recommend, I'll be staying at the Bosscolo Hotel next time!!!

The view from the terrace restaurant was amazing, but that would not be enough to get me back their again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jonathan H
PalazzoManfrediRoma, Direttore at Palazzo Manfredi - Relais & Chateaux, responded to this review, 25 July 2011
Dear Guest,

I have come across some commentary you have left upon this website in regards to the Palazzo Manfredi.

We take all comments and feedback very seriously and therefore I thought it would be courteous to reply to you.

After some investigation it has come to light that you requested to the front of house staff that they store and cook for you food that you had purchased from outside the hotel in a supermarket. In Italy (as in most of Europe) we have food and beverage restrictions and Health and Safety legal requirements we need to adhere to. These restrictions do not allow us to store and cook none certified food. Also due to us being a 5 star hotel this is not a service we would offer to the customer, this service is more acceptable in a bed and breakfast establishment.

We do allow our guests to consume food they have purchased from outside of the hotel in their room, as you did.

Please do contact me should you wish to discuss this situation further.

Yours sincerely,

Bruno Papaleo
Hotel Manager
Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2011

My husband and two adult children stayed one night at the Manfredi. The three rooms were lovely and the staff was very attentive. Unfortunately, our room had been smoked in by a previous guest. The staff sprayed Glade, apologized but had no 'like' room for us to move to. We opened the windows to air out the room which, unbeknownst to us, automatically turned off the AC. Rome can be very hot and humid and with no ventilation or AC this five star hotel room became miserable. The staff brought in a portable AC (of sorts) . The exhaust had to be extended out the window. About the 3 a.m. we finally got comfortable right when street cleaners began to do their job. Needless to say, it was very noisy! It was truly a comedy of errors at a very high price!!! The staff took off a nominal amount of our room rate. Not enough for this experience!
European standards are not what we are used to so why not book a quaint 3 star hotel and enjoy it for what it is and save the money and frustration! This was not worth the money.
The Manfredi restaurant is fantastic! The view of the Colosseum lit at night, the staff and the food was exceptional. i would revisit the restaurant but skip the hotel!

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
6 Thank DDtravelTexas
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2011

My Husband and I decided to go away for a short trip to celebrate our Birthdays; as it was special we opted for a 5 star Hotel expecting the very best. Although the Hotel was nice and the service was very good it does not justify the price that's charged, its almost robbery!!
As an example we had an evening meal for two from the al a carte menu and were charged almost £280!!! The worst thing was the food wasn't really that good! Even the buffet breakfast was 30 euros each.
With regards to the actual Hotel its self although it was nice, very clean and located in a wonderful postion there were no facilites at all. Usually with a 5 star Hotel you would expect maybe a Gym, Pool, Spa etc. Here apart from the Restaurant & Bar there was nothing else. The saving grace for this Hotel was the service was impeccable and the location amazing. If you are happy to pay over the odds for this then its a nice place to stay. Rome was wonderful, however we wouldn't choose to stay at this Hotel again.

4 Thank katie6971
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2011

We just stayed at the Palazzo Manfredi for four nights. They were kind enough to upgrade us to a premium view room for our last two nights since it was our anniversary. We had an amazing time in Rome! The Palazzo Manfredi made our stay very comfortable. They were so helpful with everything from pillows to scooter parking (for our rental) - always with a smile! The location was great too! Right across the street from the Colosseum and walking distance to just about everything. The hotel staff was very warm and inviting, and we can't wait to stay there again. We will definitely be recommending the Palazzo Manfredi to any friends and family that go to Rome.

Room Tip: Email or call them to see if they can upgrade you
2 Thank Jugernuts
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2011

I chose this hotel because of its proximity to the Forum, Coliseum and other ancient rome sites, all within walking distance. Interestingly there are not a lot of choices in the area, but this is a good, upscale hotel. The staff were incredibly friendly, the furniture high-quality, the room was impeccably clean and by European standards, large. The rooftop restaurant food, while expensive, was of gourmet quality -- way above standard hotel food. I highly recommend breakfast at the hotel because the coliseum view is one-of-a-kind.

I did not have a view of the coliseum yet my room was over $500. I can only imagine what people pay for that privilege. Was the room worth over $500? No, but not because of the view issue or the room quality. I honestly didn't care if I had a view. My room was one floor off the very busy road that fronts the hotel so I heard street noise all night, and was woken up in the morning by the sound of cars and trucks loading and unloading at the service entrance next door. Another small quibble: one day when I arrived back at the hotel there was a large garbage bag right outside my room, probably because the supply closet was next door, and another night a linen cart was sitting outside my door. Normally these things don't bother me, but when I pay over $500 a night I kind of expect the hotel to pay more attention to the details.

I also noticed that this hotels caters to business people. May not be the right hotel for kids, but it's a very good choice for adults who want to explore the ancient rome area.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms on 2nd floor or higher.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

My partner and I stayed at the Palazzo Manfredi for 3 nights in mid-June. I chose the hotel because of its location - a stone's throw from the Colosseum and the Roman Forum, which meant we did not have far to go to see the sights. And the rest of Rome is only a 5-minute cab ride away or short walk away. As far as location is concerned, this hotel was perfect for us.

From the moment we arrived, the hotel staff did everything they could to make us feel welcome. Our bags were taken to our room and we were escorted to the rooftop bar for a complementary glass of champagne. And although it was part of the package we booked, we were given a bottle of champagne in our room and a basket of fruit which was very welcome after our journey. The free WiFi internet was also very appreciated, as in other hotels of a similar price range, I find I often have to pay for this.

The room was very comfortable and quiet despite its proximity to the road, and housekeeping service was excellent. Breakfast at the sunny rooftop restaurant overlooking the Colosseum was priceless! The waiters and waitresses were very attentive and courteous, as were the reception staff, who organised Colosseum tickets for us. Overall, we had a fantastic time in Rome and choosing to stay at this hotel was a large part of it. Would definitely stay there again.