“Very disappointing”

Good for: Groups, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Esquilino
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Extremely disappointing last dinner in Rome. My partner and I had high hopes as the restaurant seemed to be highly rated. To start we had two different types of Bruschetta both were horrible, worst we have had in Rome, in fact anywhere we have been in Italy. Then my partner had a pizza toppings were a little on the low side and it was slightly burnt. I had a pasta , it was ok not the best I have eaten and the portion size was far too big. If you were to eat here you could share one portion. Would not recommend.

1  Thank Samuelbrom
Write a ReviewReviews (5,501)

Reviewed 5 July 2014

If you are looking for authentic roman food, this is the place!! Excellent "bucatini all'amatriciana" and lots of other traditional dishes. the manager is very nice and always came to check how my girlfriend and I were doing. At the end we barely finished what we ordered (2 appetizers and 2 pasta dishes), and including 2 pints of beers and 1/4 lt of house wine we paid less than 40 euro total. If you go to Rome, you have to visit la Vecchia Roma!!

1  Thank enricodella
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We have been visiting this place whenever we are in Rome. This time our visit was not too pleasant. We ordered the bucatini alla'matricciana and the portion size has greatly diminished as has the service. It also seems as if the seat the the tourist separately from the locals, which is also a "new thing". The taste of the dish was not the same as in previous occasions and it had too much sauce. Before leaving we took a look at the open area near the kitchen and as it turns out it was full of Indian people cooking. Last time there were Italians cooking Italian food, which is what I expected. Nothing against Indian folks but if I visit an Indian restaurant and Italians are cooking there may be something off about the taste and vice-versa. We still have faith that it will go back to its former glory.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

the food was terrible!! I had the bacon and asparatus pasta while my friend got the gnocchi with clam and green broccoli. The gnocchi was like a flour ball and green broccoli was some vegetable i dont know. The white sauce of my pasta was really bad. Every bite was a challenge. The service was really good though, they were patient and helpful. The locals looked really happy with the food but as a tourist, i just cannot get it. I make better italian food than this, please think before you go.

1  Thank Winnie C
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The location is interesting and you may not enter if you weren't looking. Meals very good and atmosphere fantastic. Prices not OTT.

1  Thank MargaretHouseMR

Been to Trattoria Vecchia Roma? Share your experiences!