“Wine Tasting Tour”

Antiqua Tours: Wine, Cultural and Culinary Experiences
Ranked #50 of 238 Food & Drink in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Promoting the wine, culinary and cultural traditions of Rome and the entire Lazio region through tourism and education services.
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I went on a private wine tasting tour with Sarah during my last week studying in Rome and the only regret I have is not finding this tour earlier on! I stayed in Rome for seven weeks and participated in four wine tastings and this one was BY FAR the best. We tasted four different wines from four different regions in Italy which were each paired perfectly with different appetizers and snacks. The family owned Enoteca where our tour was held gave us a peak into what an authentic italian place really looked liked and Sarah gave us several other recommendations on every different type of restaurant we were looking for. The wine was fantastic, the food was wonderful, and Sarah's extensive knowledge on wine and Italian culture was more than evident. She was able to keep things laid-back, fun, and personal while also teaching each of us a great deal of interesting information about the wine and culture. I couldn't have been happier that we decided to do our final wine tour with Sarah and Antiqua Tours and I would recommend this tour to anyone who is looking for a great wine tour in Rome!!

may_in_rome, Owner at Antiqua Tours: Wine, Cultural and Culinary Experiences, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2013

Thank you so much for the feedback. I really enjoyed having your group becausse you are so young and interested in new things. I hope that you took a lot back with you from your Italy expeirence and so happy you made a connection between the wine and culture of Italy! Come back soon.

All reviews
"private tour"
in 8 reviews
"extensive knowledge"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"amazing tour"
"expert"
"pantheon"
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 22 July 2013

Last week my friends and I had a special tasting organized with Sarah. We met at Al Vino Al Vino Located in Monti on Via dei Serpanti. This was a great place to stop and enjoy some wine, cold dishes, and Sicilian specialties. They offer a variety of delicious wines, we tried wines from from different parts of Italy paired with snacks. First we tasted a Franciacorta sparkling wine from Lombardy with caponata. Second was a rosè wine made from Lagrein grape from Alto Adige, then a local white wine from Lazio, and lastly a sweet passito wine from Sicily paired with gorgonzola. Sarah was so knowledgable and fun, she knew everything and answered each of our questions thoroughly. What I enjoyed most about her tasting over others was the fact that she is a realist. She didn't tell us what we should or shouldn't do or like. She simply geared us in the right direction to figure out what we do and don't like. She provided us with general information about all wines, the history of how they are made, where they come from, what they should be paired with, and how to figure out what we personally want out of a wine. This was truly a learning experience and Sarah made it so interesting and fun!

1  Thank Katie R
may_in_rome, Owner at Antiqua Tours: Wine, Cultural and Culinary Experiences, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2013

Thank you so much for leaving your kind review. The tasting was great and all of you were great learners. Thank you so much for choosing us for your wine tasting in Rome.

Reviewed 21 July 2013

I attended a wine tasting with Sarah a couple weeks ago and everything was great. She knew so much about each wine including where they were from, how they were made, and the best foods to match each. She kept the whole thing very interesting and kept my attention the whole time (which is impressive because I lose interest in things very quickly). I highly recommend Sarah and Antiqua Tours if you are ever in Rome!

may_in_rome, Owner at Antiqua Tours: Wine, Cultural and Culinary Experiences, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

I am so glad you enjoyed this aspect of Rome, thank you so much for taking the time to write here. We look forward to your return to Rome!

Reviewed 20 July 2013

I was with a group of students and we did a wine tour with Sarah, at an Enoteca close to the Colosseum. We tried different types of wines (all very good, in my opinion) paired with cheeses and other traditional snacks. The location was wonderful- as a student, I had been trying to find authentic Italian places rather than be scammed by the tourist traps, and Sarah took us to the perfect place. Great wine, great food, and a truly enjoyable environment. Truthfully, my favorite part of the whole thing was listening to Sarah talk about the food, the wine, and the culture. She is so knowledgable (my friends and I compared her to a human encyclopedia) and also enjoyable to have a conversation with. I was SO glad I did this wine tour... wishing I could be back in Rome at this very moment!! Thank you Sarah!

I am so happy to hear your enjoyed yourself and learned about Italian wine culture at the sae time. It is always a pleasure to organize tastings for young people, and you were all great participants. Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your experience.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We did two tours with Sarah and Ettore. The first afternoon Ettore took us through the story of Ancient Rome. He is highly knowledgable as well as being fun to spend time with and was very patient with our two kids (aged 10 and 11) and their endless questions! It was a great way to get in as much of the ancient city and history as possible and he made it very entertaining. The next morning we met up with Sarah for a bit of a foodie tour (including an amazing food and ham shop and the best gelato ever) and to visit some of the squares and fountains of historic Rome. Again, I was impressed with the extent of her knowledge and we spent a very pleasant few hours learning more about the beautiful and fascinating city. We only had a brief time in Rome as we were catching a cruise ship and this was definitely the best way to see and learn as much as we could in that time and thanks to both of them it was fun and relaxing, too. Sarah was also very helpful and flexible when we were initially discussing the type of tours required. I would highly recommend Antiqua Tours.

Thank you so much! We both loved your family, the kids were so great, so involved and really fun. I am happy we met your expectations and that we were able to give you a taste of Rome's cultural and culinary delights in such a short amount of time. Thanks again!