“The reviews are right!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of caffe universale - CLOSED

caffe universale
Price range: US$38 - US$76
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Description: Caffé Universale è un locale moderno, dove è possibile bere la migliore qualità di caffè e thè, e gustare una cucina creativa e una carta dei vini con le migliori etichette. Caffé Universale is a modern local,where is possible to drink the best quality of coffee and thè, and to taste a creative kitchen and a wine list with the best labels.
orange county
“The reviews are right!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2013

I'm not usually lucky enough to have a top-rated restaurant be so close to where I was staying in Rome, but this time, I hit the jackpot. My husband and I had a late dinner, so we were able to be seated immediately. Our wait staff was so nice and so helpful. We had the eggplant parmesan (not breaded!), the gnocchi, Cesar salad, the roasted pork knuckle. Everything was yummy, and the prices are very reasonable. It was a one of the culinary highlights of our trip!

1 Thank Stephanie B

London
“The highlight of our visit to Rome--twice”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2013

If I learn that the world is coming to an end tomorrow but I can have one more meal anywhere I want, I will catch the next flight to Rome so I can eat at Caffe Universale one last time.

After many, many years of eating at some very fine restaurants, I can't think of a single establishment that can top Caffe Universale for its combination of food, service, and sheer joy.
Stefano and his colleagues made us feel welcome the moment we entered, and by the end of the evening it felt like we were old friends. Along the way, we were treated to one staggeringly good dish after another, some we ordered and some Stefano wanted to share just out of his infectious passion for great food.

From complex dishes such as the house specialty (a turbot dish that will have you writing poetry) down to the basic ingredients, this place knows food. How many times have you raved about a simple side dish of spinach or even the butter (a homemade bit of heaven that drove me to embarrassment, I was praising it so highly)?

We dined here midway through our visit to Rome, and when we were pondering where to go on our final night, we didn't want to risk anything less than a perfect evening. So we headed right back to Caffe Universale for a second time, and this meal was every bit the equal of the first.

On my next visit to Rome, I know where I'll be eating the very first night!

Newquay, United Kingdom
“great food, great service - well worth it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2013

This is a great little restaurant tucked away on Via Delle Copelle. Its a good location and the restuarant itself is very contemporary. We went in on the afternoon to check they had our booking (had left UK before we could check our email) and we were invited for a coffee and had a great conversation with the maitre'd about the wine list. When we went back for dinner we were given a glass of prosecco and a taster before dinner. we had four courses and each was amazing. the food was wonderful, the service was brilliant and all in all a really memorable night in rome. it was our wedding anniversary so couldn't have asked for more.

Cardiff, UK
“First rate!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2013

This is the first time I have been moved to right a restaurant review!

Fantastic service, wonderful food, great atmosphere!

My dietary requirements (gluten free and vegetarian) were met with no fuss. In fact, I was made to feel that this was an entirely reasonable request!! I was offered a range of dishes, some of which were adapted from the standard menu.

Worth every penny and I shall certainly be back next time I'm in Rome!

Sotogrande, Spain
“Made our holiday one to remember”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

What can I say, we booked this restaurant online before we arrived in rome after reading reviews on trip advisor. We arrived in rome on the Friday and we were booked in at caffe universals at 19.00 on the Saturday, After a long day walking around rome taking in the culture we were a bit cold and hungry so at 17.30 we were in the vicinity of the restaurant which was easy to find using our trusty street map (that you get from any hotel) so we popped in and asked if it was possible to eat earlier, well a lovely girl called Latitsia (not sure how you spell it) said yes come on in, she sat us down and brought us a complimentary glass of fizz and some lovely bread, she said was it ok if we ordered at 6 as the chef is still doing some prep as they did not actually open untill 19.00, I did not realise and said we can always come back but she would not have that, we sat there and they then brought some Brushetta and then some ham & rocket and olives plus another glass of fizz they really looked after us and never charged us for a thing, we then ordered the £30.00 taster menu, the food was lovely and could not fault it and the Tiramisu was amazing, they then brought us a dessert called Frappe for us to try, I would definitely go again and give this restaurant 10/10. This is a place not to miss if your in rome to make that stay extra special the girls Julia & Latitsia really have there customer service down to a fine art, 100% perfect . Thank you

1 Thank henrylouise
Stefano F, Direttore at caffe universale, responded to this review, 13 February 2013
Thank you!!