Residenza Borghese
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
US$222
US$625
US$414
  • Breakfast included
Boutique Hotel Campo de Fiori(Rome)
US$273
US$733
US$443
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsvia venetodouble bedmetro stationstaff was very friendly and helpfulon footcontinental breakfastvisit rome againrooms were very cleannice roomlocation was perfectthree nightscolloseumneighborhood
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 September 2012

I booked this a couple of nights ago in Rome.

First of all, the pictures are completely misleading. The "hotel" is actually on the 3rd floor of a dilapdated residential building.

They do not have proper staffing.

After ringing the bell several times, I was let into the building, and after much struggle found the "reception".

The receptionist was rude, and racist. He said they had given my room away and that I would be re-accomodated near the train station. He refused to show me pictures or the web site of this hotel.

NaOn asking for my money back, he told to "stop crying" and threatened to call the police on me. He kept calling his so-called "manager" on the phone and consistently referring to the "Indian" i.e. me....

The manager refused to speak to me.

Fortunately, I had the presence of mind to turn on my iphone and record the entire exchange. On showing the recording to this person, and on actually calling his bluff by dialing the police myself, he calmed down and refunded my money.

All in all I wasted 2 hours, a lot of headache, and left with a very very bad taste in my mouth.

Sadly, this is the reality of travel in Italy. A beautiful country with ABOSLUTELY THE WORST TOURISM INDUSTRY IN THE WORLD.

Room Tip: Do not stay here.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Rohan P
Reviewed 20 September 2012

We made a 3 night reservation through venere.com at a cost of 142 euro/night, starting Sept 13, 2012. The reservation was made based on what appeared to be good picures on their website and because we were paying MORE than the 130 euro/night (charged for a wonderful 4 star hotel =Hotel Impereale on the Via Veneto) where we stayed the previous week.

We finally found this decrepant apartment building in the pouring rain; only to be told that "yes, we had reservations" but the R. Borghese was sending us to "another property of theirs" called the Residenza Ludovisi. We had to get another cab and drive to the other place. When we arrived, I had to climb up a several floors (the elevator didn't work) to look at the "room". I was in shock!* It was a "box" barely large enough to hold a cheap bed and table/chair. I turned around and literally was running up and down the blocks in Rome trying desperately to find another hotel who would take us in...but it was too late by this time. So we had to stay for one night, but immediately checked out the next morning at 6 AM after paying $300 to change our plane tickets back to the USA...My husband and I are professionals and use a telephone,, with prepaid calling cards to conduct our business while traveling. We desperately need to make some critical business calls, THERE WAS NO FUNCTIONING TELEPHONE in any of the rooms!* One could not get an outside line! We were trapped.
Other reviewers here reference paying what seems to be about 50 euro/night. In fact, the next day, I went on to the Residenza Ludovisi's own website and their quote for 3 nights came up as 44 euro/night!!** Yet we had been tricked into paying 142 euro/night/!

The website specifies "colazione a buffet" ..what a lie! "Breakfast" was instant coffee on a plastic tray in the room, not the gorgeous 20 ft long buffet breakfasts that one gets when paying 142 euro/night at a 4 star hotel.

Their website specifies "business services"...again an absolute lie.

We saw NOTHING that looked like the on line pictures that the R. Ludovisi has on their website. There are only 9 rooms at this place so we would have seen anything different. In fact, we have a large number of pictures taken of the room.

I have filed complaint letters with the on line travel service = venere.com, which I am told is part of Expedia. The venere customer service rep called the R. Borghese several times and got NO response.

This utterly spoiled what was to be our last 3 glorious days in Rome.

There are other comments on line regarding this Bait and Switch pulled by the R. Borghese, wherein other travelers were sent to an inferior room/facility after making reservations. To the other reviewers here who said this is a great place, it may by that if one is only paying 50 euro/night...

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank drjoanv
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Upon arrival at 9pm we had no idea where to go, worse because it was dark! The buzzer let us in the door but signage was quite poor and it took 5 or so minutes to find the reception on the 2nd floor of the 2nd set of stairs! Our room was quite small but fine for just the 2 of us, it was fairly clean, sheets & towels were changed daily but walls were marked and the floor was grubby. Very disappointed the first night when we were woken several times due to the poor soundproofing and also had our minibar missing quite a few items as well as having a half drank juice, possibly from previous guests! Wifi is not available in the rooms, only in the small reception, and dont expect a good view! Depending on budget, there are many more hotels within a 500metre radius!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 21 August 2012

Just returned from a 4 night stay. The staff were more than helpful. The rooms were unusual in that the continental breakfast was served in the rooms. The rooms were very small (3 In our group) but very well laid out, especially the bathroom. The reception is accessible by lift (2nd lift on the right) on the 2nd floor, all the staff were lovely. The location of the hotel is in a very nice area but a good walk from the Barberini Fountain. The N4 night bus goes along the Via Veneto which is not too far from the hotel. A beautiful, emotional city.

Room Tip: Room 109 was very nice.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 July 2012

It was clean and the hotel staff were very friendly. Reasonable price. The staff couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. There was a hot pot in the room with instant coffee and cappuccino (very good). Also, it was very secure, and we felt very safe

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple