“Lovely modern hotel in a great location”
Review of Babuino 181

Babuino 181
Ranked #30 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Canberra, Australia
“Lovely modern hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 25 August 2011

Hotel Babuino was a lovely hotel (my husbands favourite out of all the hotels we stayed in across Europe). We stayed in a Deluxe Room which was a great size, had a big walk in cupboard, sitting area, very comfortable king sized bed, and a beautiful bathroom. It had everything you could ever want including a coffee machine, lovely toiletries, English TV and movies (not just news!!), free WiFi etc. Only downside of the room was that we were on the first floor with a view straight into the shop opposite so we had the curtains shut the whole time. The hotel is in a great location, very close to the Spanish Steps, lots of nice restaurants (ask the staff for their recommendations cause they were great) so we walked everywhere (about 30 mins walk to the Colosseum). The staff were really lovely and helpful. Breakfast was nice and the new area on the roof is lovely. Definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AussieJess12

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Indonesian first
Hattiesburg, MS
Reviewed 19 August 2011

One characteristic seldom mentioned in Roman hotel rooms is space. Babuino 181, however, has plenty of it. You wouldn't think it from the humble facade and the petite entry and elevator, but the room we had (303) was large - even by US standards. The bathroom was completely renovated and well appointed.

Also, important to note is the great AC. Since visiting Europe, we've realized that US air conditioning and EU air conditioning should not be considered equal. Babuino 181 knows what US A/C is all about, which is really important in August in Rome.

A few other nice features included the innovative door locks, lighting system and in-room coffee maker - a must have for caffeine addicts like myself.

Plus, Babuino is in the perfect location for shopping and seeing some of Rome's most beautiful places: Gucci, Fendi, Ferragamo. But seriously, there are great restaurants in this area and finding a cab takes just walking half a block to Piazza del Popolo. More importantly, getting a cab back only requires you tell your Italian cabbie "Piazza del Popolo, which always seemed to please them (it's a cab stand - they get to rest some more while waiting on their next fare and Italians, if anything, love to rest).

My reason for not giving a full five stars is the lack of amenities. I guess you can't have it all, space and services, but there is no fitness center, which you will truly need given the amount of food you'll be eating. And I had some difficulty in getting some laundry done. (We had been on a 10-day cruise before arriving and truly needed some fresh laundry.) The hotel's solution just didn't work for me, but I was able to locate a sweet Italian lady a couple of blocks away who was able to turn around my laundry in about 12 hours.

Otherwise, a beautiful hotel with friendly staff - the chamber maids in particular were very sweet. I highly recommend this for a relaxing stay in Rome.

Room Tip: The elevator is a bit slow. So, if you don't like climbing stairs, I recommend a lower floor.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HollisJD
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My husband and I stayed at Babuino 181 for five nights in July and we loved it. Our good-sized room was nicely furnished, the bed was very comfortable and it was quiet. The spacious bathroom had both a shower and a soaking tub. The walk-in closet and the complimentary Nespresso were nice touches. The location was ideal for first time visitors to Rome like us. Many sites in the historic center are within walking distance (20-30 minutes) and a taxi was always available in the Piazza del Puopolo for longer trips. The staff at the front desk were extremely friendly and helpful at all times. If I could change one thing about this hotel, it would be the cost, as it was definitely at the top of our price range. But we decided to splurge and we are happy that we did! A total delight!

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank BobClay
Miami Beach, FL
Reviewed 12 August 2011

We arrived very early and was very fortunate to have been checked in. The staff at Babuino 181 made my boyfriend's 40th birthday very special, from booking a private tour of the Vatican to booking a splendid dinner at La Terrazza dell'Eden overlooking all of Rome. The bed was very comfortable and the room was exquisitely designed. We were very close in walking distance to Piazza del Popolo and the trendy boutiques. I can't say enough about this place!!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank verymary09
Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 July 2011

The Good -Nicely located steps from the Hotel de Russie and close to Piazza del Poppolo and the Spanish steps. Room was spacious and well equipped with excellent air conditioning. Comfortable bed.

The Bad - no room service or dining room, in fact, with the exception of a small room on the first floor which was under construction and a 4th floor roof terrace which was not open there is nowhere to sit other than your own room. Also soundproofing between floors minimal (people above me sounded like elephants stomping around). Impossible to shower without flooding the bathroom

The ugly - the staff tries to be helpful but seems woefully disorganised. My requested wake up call never came due to "a problem with the computer" Only by a miracle did i wake up in time for my first appointment. I had a very busy schedule with only one day in Rome for multiple meetings so ordered a car, giving clear instructions to the receptionist of what time to pick me up at Babuino and all the stops I would be making. Car did not arrive and I discovered it went to my first meeting without me. By the time it came back to pick me up I missed that meeting entirely. We then drove off to the second appointment only to discover driver had been given the wrong address for that and we were twenty minutes in the wrong direction - so two very important meetings lost and a major reason for my trip totally wasted. I would stay here again on vacation when scheduling was not critical but not for a business trip

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
8 Thank frmrbrit
Babuino181, Proprietario at Babuino 181, responded to this review, 1 August 2011
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review on Babuino 181, I’m glad you enjoyed our great location and the spaciousness & comfort of your room. During the time of your visit, our breakfast room was temporarily closed for some maintenance. As you noted, we have a roof top terrace that will be open serving breakfast soon. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the performance of the car service we ordered. We have contacted the management to ensure this type of miscommunication does not happen in the future. We do have many business travelers using our hotel so I hope you offer us the chance to demonstrate our normally high level of service on your next visit to Rome.
Best regards,
Alberto Moncada
Ascot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We used to live in Rome, but we never found a good hotel. This place is modern, stylish and comfortable, with wifi access and plenty of space. Thanks to the staff for giving great recommendations for restaurants and helping me with that parking ticket. The location could not be better for a weekend of great atmosphere, shopping in Condotti and simple Roman food. Not cheap, but it shouldn't be. Our new home in Rome!

Room Tip: As high as possible. Get away from the street noise.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank VespaManRome
Minneapolis
Reviewed 17 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here with our three sons (20, 18 and 12) during the Rome portion of our 25th anniversary trip to Italy. We could not have chosen a better hotel, or a better location, in a better city. The hotel is a boutique-style hotel, near the Piazza del Popolo, and within walking distance to the Spanish steps and the wonderful shops on the Via Condotti. The concierge, Andrea, was outstanding: Professional, friendly, charming, helpful. Recommendations for restaurants were always perfect (which was not always the case during the rest of our trip through Italy). Our suite was wonderful, with contemporary decor, fabulous bathrooms, and a beautiful balcony -- it was perfect to return to such a welcoming (and cool, thanks to the great a/c) atmosphere after our forays during the day, and night. Although the hotel doesn't have some amenities -- restaurant, bar, etc. -- the hotel is in such a great area, with so many good cafes, restaurants, shops, etc., that we never missed them. We can't recommend the Babuino 181 enough.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family