“almost perfect”

Ranked #25 of 1,256 Hotels in Rome
Tel Aviv, Israel
“almost perfect”
Reviewed 30 September 2011

I would love to say this was all perfect, especially since I decided to be generous with my hotel choice for our romantic 10-year anniversary in Rome.
The hotel indeed was comfortable, beautiful, great location, loved the coffee machine in room, bed, docking station for the i-phone, the staff was kind and welcoming, etc.
But still. I read a review from a guest who was disappointed (rightfully) for having to eat breakfast in the room, since the dining room was not ready. I emailed the hotel to make sure that within 2 months, by the time we visit, the dining room will be open, and was assured it will be. I don't mind as much that it wasn't, as much as I think we should have been notified about this earlier than check-in.
Having breakfast in your bedroom MAY be romantic once, but having to eat on a tiny table, on a tiny platter, with no room for the plates, coffee mugs and saucers etc., is NOT my idea of nice. I was told that all is ready and the hotel was "only" waiting for a permit, which could arrive at any moment. Well, it didn't arrive on our 5 nights there, and I would have even preferred to get a discount on the room rate and go have breakfast across the street, at Hotel de Russie, for instance.
If I give a list of the tiny details I have noticed that were not perfect you will think I am MAD (perhaps I am), but since I am an interior designer there are things that cannot escape my eye, and I had a feeling the hotel was designed to be mainly trendy and good-looking, not always thinking of comfort and efficiency. (Just one example is the sliding glass door which separated the toilet from the bathroom, which didn't close all the way because of some details not thought of entirely). When i decide to pay more than 300Euro per night i expect it to be perfect to the tiniest details, which this one, sadly, wasn't.

Room Tip: check again about the breakfast..
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank kfironit
Babuino181, Proprietario at Babuino 181, responded to this review, 8 October 2011
Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor which I found to be very constructive.

I was extremely glad to see that you enjoyed many aspects of our hotel during your tenth wedding anniversary trip to Rome.

I do want to take this opportunity to apologize for not letting you know about the delay with our terrace opening. It suffered a delay, but hopefully it will open soon.

If you find a moment I would be grateful if you could send me any other comment you may have which could help us better our hotel for our guests.

My email is; info@babuino181

We hope to see you back at Babuino in the near future.

Best wishes

Alberto Moncada

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
  • Indonesian first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Stayed here based on recommendations from various guides and its high rating on Tripadvisor. The service is great, as described by other Tripadvisor members, and the rooms actually look much better than in the candids on this site. The B&B is in a very good location close to the Spanish Steps but a bit away from the crowds, which is nice.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank HopingThisHelps
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 25 September 2011

We loved the room, location and staff at Babuino 181. The location near Piazza del Popolo is fantastic as there are many great restaurants (Babette, il Brillo Parlente, il Gabriella, and Ad Hoc) within walking distance. The hotel has great rooms that are nicely decorated and large. We stayed in Room 205 which is located on Via Babuino and has the only balcony overlooking the street and Piazza del Popolo. The room is wonderful and worth a request. It has a huge bathroom with separate tub and shower, dual sinks and a private toilet/bidet room. Complimentary continental breakfast is brought to your room and the Concierge's (Andrea in particular) were very helpful with restaurant suggestions and directions. There is a great deck area on the rooftop level which is currently being renovated into a bar/kitchen. It will make a nice addition to an already perfect property.

Room Tip: Stay in Room 205 which also has a connecting room for families.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank SlickWilliam
Menlo Park, California
Reviewed 23 September 2011

Our room at Babuino 181 was beautiful - well designed, highly functional, quiet. It was a fantastic respite from the heat and hustle bustle of Rome. The staff was friendly and helpful. The breakfast (served in room) was a typical continental spread. My only suggestion to the hotel is that they serve each person's breakfast on an individual tray - we couldn't juggle everything on the single tray.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate F
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 18 September 2011

great location for shopping, food and taxis
staff were generally friendly and helpful
full selection of cable channels (unlike many other hotels in Italy)

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Our stay in Rome was enhanced by our accomodations at Babuino 181. The room was spacious and finely appointed, the staff very helpful and the location right in the heart of the areas that we toured. It was wonderful to find a small hotel with first class amenities in a big city.

Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2011

My husband and I stayed at Babuino 181 for 3 nights from 7th - 10th September. (Our friends also stayed at the hotel but they liked it so much they're writing their own review!) Our stay should have commenced one night earlier on the 6th but an Italian strike delayed our arrival. When the hotel heard of our plight they went out of their way to accommodate our needs, explaining what they were able to offer us to make sure we had the very best stay possible!

Andrea, the Guest Relations Manager, Vincenzo and Benedetto are just three examples of the hotel's courteous and extremely helpful members of staff.

Because of our delayed arrival we had to change our room for our final night's stay...... OMG the Babuino Suite is awesome!

The whole hotel oozes understated style and attention to detail, I would definitely stay there again given the opportunity!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends