“Great boutique hotel in a great part of the city”
Review of Babuino 181

Babuino 181
Ranked #30 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 28 November 2013

I only have positive things to say about Babuino 181. I chose it because of the reviews on Trip Advisor and was not disappointed. My parents, who are 70, stayed in one room and I stayed in a room next to them. The hotel is an easy walk to many of the main sites...Piazza del Popolo and the Spanish Steps are very close and it's about a 20-25 minute walk to the Trevi Fountain and Pantheon...and Via del Corso, a street lined with a variety of shops (Zara, Gap, Intimissimi, etc.), is right around the block from the hotel. So we shopped as we walked to the sites.
The hotel staff are quite friendly and helpful as well...everyone from the front desk staff to the staff at the covered rooftop (enclosed and heated in the colder months) where we had drinks in the evening and ate breakfast and drank cappuccinos in the morning.

• Stayed: November 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,034)

Reviewed 18 November 2013

The Babuino is a spectacular boutique hotel in the heart of Rome. The location and service does not get any better. 3 blocks from Spanish Steps and Peoples Square. 10 minute walk from Trevi Fountain. Best shopping in city right out the door. Excellent restaurants within 1 block. The staff is amazing. I will never stay anywhere else in Rome.

Room Tip: Their standard classic room has more than enough room for two people. The Babuino Suite is quite la...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank deemartyn
Reviewed 15 November 2013

We stayed here in early October and everything was perfect. The room, food, bar, staff...especially the staff! Great location, very happy with this choice near the Spanish steps and walking distance to everything! Would definitely book it again!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank deborah_hobbs
Reviewed 9 November 2013

I stayed 4 nights in this hotel which is more like an up market bed and breakfast. I had a deluxe suite on the 3 floor, it was a nice sized room with a well equipped bathroom but the noise was unbelievable, obviously a big city is noisy but there was also the noise from the roof terrace which serves as a bar until midnight. The constant moving of tables and chairs combined with the people made sleeping impossible, then at 4.30 in the morning the laundry is delivered by a noisy truck, at 6.30 the breakfast starts again overhead. I found the staff to be quite unprepared and indeed of 3 appointments that I requested them to make only one was at the correct time and place. The breakfast was adequate and the staff at breakfast were very kind but unfortunately when it rains the breakfast area becomes a lake since the water enters under the glass doors. The few cleaning staff have a lot of work and on one day they did not clean my room until 3 in the afternoon, after I had requested it. Since space is limited there seemed to be constant mountain of luggage in the entrance whilst people were waiting for rooms. The hotel is in a very convenient position for seeing the center of Rome with many restaurants around and taxi stand close by.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Linda D
Albert0Moncada, Direttore at Babuino 181, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel.

I was glad that you loved our location. We believe Via del Babuino is probably the best street for a hotel to be on!

Noise in the center of a city can be annoying at times, but this is the first time we had a complaint from a suite on the third floor. I will look into this personally and will improve soundproofing if necessary.

I have also spoken to the concierge and house keeping departments and we will do our best to improve our service with your suggestions in mind.

My only regret is that you did not speak with us about your issues while you were staying with us.

We would have surely done our best to make your stay more comfortable.

Alberto Moncada

Reviewed 7 November 2013

We checked into the hotel after our 7 night luxury cruise and we're not disappointed. The room was very roomy particularly for Europe. The ac worked so well we had to turn it down. The beds were super comfortable, and most of the staff were super friendly. Great location for all sights or just hanging out in the neighborhood. The only issue we had was a clogged shower in room 102 that did not get fixed during our 3 night stay. I hope it is fixed for next guests. I would stay there again!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 7 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed there last weekend. We had a deluxe room situated over the road - this is like a high end apartment block own lift glass entry card doors.
The staff were extremely good - (turn down twice daily) they knew it was our anniversary and supplied a complimentary bottle of champagne, and when my wife wanted to treat me to a breakfast in bed for my birthday they even insisted on paying for it. The roof top bar was extremely nice, a little pricey but not much more than well located bars in the area, with a very attentive bar manager and great nibbles.
The location was great, we are not great walkers but we walked to st peters and back from here no problem, and even walked back from the colleseum in no time at all (and this looks far on the map).
All in all couldn't fault it and wouldn't think twice about reccomending it!

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 29 October 2013

We chose this place for it's location near Piazza del Poppolo and Borghese Gardens, which we had not explored on previous trips, and the good reviews here.
We loved the modern but comfy cozy atmosphere. We had a room at the back of the building across the street and it was very quiet. At first I wasn't sure I liked being across the street but when coming back after sightseeing it was nice just using our key card and not having to pass a reception desk. It felt very intimate.
The location, although off to one corner of the "center", was still very walkable. We chose to take a taxi to the Forum for our tour and walk back though.
We brought up a discrepancy regarding the type of room we had reserved with the manager and it was responded to quite generously. We would happily stay here again if we return to Rome.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple