“Loved the rooms and location”
Review of Babuino 181

Babuino 181
Ranked #27 of 1,272 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We stayed here during a family trip to Rome and found the location perfect. The concierge service was excellent and the tour guide she arranged for us were incredibly knowledgeable and engaging. The little breakfast/lounge area on the top of the hotel was a nice place to start and end the day.
The rooms were clean and large for a European hotel and were perfect for a family. It's almost like a luxury serviced apartment.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Ellie J
Write a ReviewReviews (1,048)

Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

As a frequent traveller I'm very picky about hotels ... And I have nothing to complain about this one.
Not only the hotel is very nice , rooms are nicely designed with all that u may need , location is perfect ... But to top all that is the staff . Teodora at the front desk was so friendly , helpful & professional from the 1st minute until our check-out. Also the staff on the roof terrace were very friendly always smiling and very polite.
Another nice touch was the RomanNotebook that they give at check in , written by the hotel manager , he gives all the info you might need during your trip in Rome , and what made it so special was his very personal friendly approach in his writing.
Looking forward to coming back

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MrsJazwi
Reviewed 15 April 2014

Excellent location, very convenient both for shopping and sightseeing. Wonderful staff, extremely helpful and knowledgeable, beautiful rooms, generous amenities , special extras, delicious breakfast on a green and flowery terrasse.

Room Tip: Do not Choose rooms overseeing the street
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank nahla51
Reviewed 13 April 2014

We stayed here for our wedding anniversary and wanted a good hotel in a central location so that we could walk to the sites. This hotel more than lived up to expectations. They arranged for a car to collect from, and return us, to the airport. This was well worth it, firstly it was no more expensive than a taxi and secondly it was prompt, with the drivers telling us about the city. We stayed in room 303, this was spacious and well laid out. We were also given a free welcome drink and a bottle of Spumante to celebrate our anniversary. The breakfast room/bar is on the roof of the hotel. This is a lovely area and the breakfast was excellent - much more than a continental breakfast as described on the hotel website. The location of the hotel is hard to beat. We were able to walk to all of the major sites in and 30 minutes sometimes 15. We walked back from the Colisseum and from the Vatican. The hotel is also close to the Flaminio, Metro station, Flaminio, on line A. The hotel staff were very courteous and helpful. They also recommended some excellent restaurants, however a word of caution, a meal for two in Rome comprising one course each and drink costs ~ €50. A larger meal was €80 -120.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank doormouse2
Albert0Moncada, Direttore at Babuino 181, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Dear doormouse,

I was so glad to hear that we able to contribute to making your anniversary in Rome even more special!

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Babuino 181 next year!

All the best,

Reviewed 9 April 2014

Aside from being right in the heart of Rome, near fantastic restaurants, bars, shops and major sites.... this is a fantastic hotel to stay in. The rooms are well appointed, spacious and the staff are simply wonderful to deal with.

Room Tip: Take advantage of the Luxury Taxi Service. Nothing beats arriving in style! Local taxi's cost...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business

Dear Rick T.,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on our hotel, Babuino 181.

I was pleased to see that you enjoyed our central location, close to the Spanish steps - Immersed right in the middle of great restaurants, shops and major attractions.

Best regards from Roma,

Reviewed 7 April 2014

The staff at Babuino went out of their way to make my birthday memorable. Rome was the last leg of our trip and Babuino was a great way to end! The front desk staff was very helpful and knowledgeable. The rooftop bartender was very friendly as well. The hotel assisted with making dinner reservations and car service to the airport. The location was also very ideal. Walking distance to most of the landmarks in Rome. Thank you Babuino for being apart of an amazing birthday trip!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Geomyra,

Thank-you for taking the time to write about our hotel! I was so glad to read that our staff was able to make your Roman birthday-trip a memorable one!

Best regards,

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This review is long overdue, having visited last summer, but hopefully will be useful to those planning their summer vacations. I found this hotel as recommended by Trip Advisor as well as its sister hotel and booked my reservation for 4 nights in June 2013. It was the best thing I could have done -- the location perfect, the staff over the top, and the all-important room - quiet and spacious with a bed that makes you wish you didn't need to get up and visit one of the top cities in the world. First getting there was easy from the airport by taxi, but I was not used to the narrow streets and tight parking (same in Florence, too), and they had to let me out about a block away. No problem -- checked into small ground floor front desk and they walked me across the street to their second building (both small boutique style, but had to split them). When I got into the room, I was sure they made a mistake. But I didn't say anything… Then found a little note from the manager welcoming me. The room I got was over the top amazing. Large main room with absolutely luxurious bed and one of the biggest bathrooms in Europe (at least for a normal sized hotel room). Large glass walk in shower and all the other amenities. View out the window was across the street at a rooftop patio of a local resident watering her beautiful red flowers each morning.
Then I saw it -- don't know how I missed it earlier -- The steps in the corner of the room leading up to a balcony loft. Had a great desk up there with outlets for all my toys and a great L-shape sofa and a giant screen TV. Very relaxing place to come put your feet up after walking all over Rome and before heading out to dinner.
So - great room. What about the rest -- well being split was really no big deal, so I walked across the street each morning and up the modern elevator to the rooftop lounge for a light breakfast. Nice, peaceful, good view - nothing to long for there. All good.
Now the best part of the whole place -- a great hotel, like a greater restaurant, is nothing with the best people to give the customer the perfect experience. I tell you, if these wonderful desk people worked at any other hotel, I'd follow them there. (I hope they don't because I can't wait to stay there again). Each night, they gave me excellent dining recommendations to places they actually knew the staff and ate their themselves. One person in particular, Teodora, went 110% out of her way one night. She had recommended a place nearby and I walked there, but it was quite busy. I didn't want to be pushy, only being in Rome a couple days and not sure how to act in such situations. They acknowledged me, but it was clear they were running back and forth, in and out of the front (they actually had more tables set up in the alley -- what I found out was very common for good restaurants at night). So after waiting about 20 minutes without being actually addressed or told how long, or taking my name or anything, I decided to just head back to the place I ate at the night before since there was plenty of great food I hadn't tried there. That took me back past the front of the hotel. I stuck my head in to confirm the direction of the other restaurant. Teodora asked about the other restaurant. I told her my story. It was about 10 pm (you learn to eat late there, but worth it). She was not only sympathetic, but downright irritated at the place she sent me. She asked if I could wait about 10 minutes. I said sure. Then she came out, having changed and being off duty, and walked me to the original place she recommended. As we walked up to it, they came and greeted her enthusiastically, whereupon she read them the riot act for not taking care of me and how dare they… Evidently she knew everyone there quite well and made them feel pretty bad for ignoring me. Well, I was immediately sat at a nice table indoors, the owner came over with a nice glass of wine and the freshest mozzarella ball and prosciutto. Then he apologized profusely and kissed my cheeks! We all sat for one glass before I went on with my great dining experience. All that to say -- above and beyond is the kind of people they hire there. I have not doubt anyone of them would have done the same under the circumstances, and I hope I don't get her in trouble, but it was a highlight and oft told of my many stories of my vacation.
Oh, one last thing -- a block from Spanish Steps -- be sure and plan to relax there eating gelato and people watching, then back to the hotel for a nap, shower, and watching NCIS in Italian!
Enjoy.

Room Tip: Just ask. They will give you the best of what they have, and all are good. I lucked out with the lof...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank jazzman7777

Dear jazzman77,

Thank you so much for writing such a long and detailed review on your stay at Babuino 181. It is always very helpful for us to hear comments and suggestions from our guests.

I was particularly glad to read that you enjoyed staying in the Moncada suite which I named after my family. Perhaps you noticed the historical family portraits of my ancestors hanging on the walls!

This is indeed one of my favorite suites in our new wing at Babuino 181.

I was pleased that all the suggestions we gave were to your liking and helped make your stay in Rome more memorable.

We are looking forward to having you back as our guest soon - we have more great surprises for you to discover!

Best regards,