“Pleasant experience”

Babuino 181
Ranked #26 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
“Pleasant experience”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I stayed one night on a business trip.

Great central location, a very nice room. A convenient lounge with coffee and biscuits on the first floor. I also liked the complimentary drink in the evening!

I could hear voices from the corridor at one point during the day, though not too loud; and the night was quiet.

I appreciated Teodora from the front desk, who was nice and helpful from the beginning to the end.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank SouthMole

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Indonesian first
London
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Amazing - from the moment Ameen confirmed the extra bed within a minute I knew it would be good - but it was better than good. We have stayed 5 star all over the world and the rooms were on a par if not better. The location was fantastic with all the best shops on your doorstep. The bed was huge - 6 foot - so even though we ordered an extra bed we didn't need it as I slept in it with my two daughters! Linen luxurious - bathroom fantastic. But for me the best thing start to finish was the staff- they were absolutely amazing - nothing was too much trouble.
Thank you to all 3 of you Theodora and your two colleagues.
We will be back!

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank SophieC02
Babuino181, Direttore at Babuino 181, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

What a lovely review of our hotel – I'm humbled you would give us an 11 out of 10. Thank you for acknowledging the work of Assem, Teododora and the rest of our staff who made your stay so memorable.

We hope you all return soon.

sydney
Reviewed 4 August 2014

A couple of positives, first.

The location is great. Really good part of Rome to be based.

The rooms are nice - but make sure you stay in the main hotel - not the annexe which is off site.

We booked 3 months ago for 2 rooms and on arrival last week, there wasn't both rooms available in the main hotel - where you have breakfast, where the terrace is - with the only inital option being that one of our group had to move offsite to the annexe.

Not being acceptable, and after a lot of 'holding our ground' and 'juggling' they eventually found rooms for us together in the hotel proper.

Also, try not to stay in rooms 101 and 102 (and maybe 201 and 202), as the side street beside the hotel has bars and restaurants that go on very late into the night - and we had a couple of nights when the music was just too loud to sleep.

A sour note was that we asked Theodora, one of the reception / concierge staff, 2 months ago to book a special restaurant for us (Aroma - overlooking the Colosseum), for our last night as an anniversary event for one of our group.

We emailed and got confirmation that the restaurant had been booked 2 months in advance and then on arrival we double checked with Theodora and she said, yes she had booked it.

We triple checked again, by asking Theodora the day before the event dinner, to telephone and re-confirm and Theodora said she would.

You can probably guess where this is going. Unfortunately when we got to the restaurant, dressed in our best, there was no booking. The restaurant then told us that Bambuino had book the table for 2 days later. Seriously.

This ruined our last night in Rome and the special event we had planned.

The worse part is that the next day, when we told them what had happened, they weren't overly concerned and were dismissive.

So, if you are expecting quality service forget it. Especially at the price they charge.

For the amount that you need to pay here you could go somewhere else and get a similar room - but with the service that you need when you are traveling.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
7 Thank paul w
Babuino181, Direttore at Babuino 181, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Mr. Paul W,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. While I'm glad you enjoyed our central location and the quality of our rooms, I was very upset to hear about the mix-up with your dinner reservation. We are known and respected for our high level of service so I want to personally apologize for any distress this caused you and your family. I spoke with our front desk staff and determined that your reservation was booked and confirmed, but unfortunately the wrong date had been entered and no one caught the error. I also contacted the restaurant and was very relieved to hear that you did get a table that evening and enjoyed your meal.

While no one in your party stayed in our newly renovated wing across the street, some of these rooms provide a little more buffering to the normal hustle and bustle of Rome, and in fact have some of our most sought after suites. Should you travel back to Rome, I would love to meet you in person and oversee your stay.

Best regards,

Hong Kong
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I booked the Babuino 181 because I read lots of good reviews about it on this site, but after staying there for a week, I can only say that it was average. The location was certainly a plus and the rooms were of good size. And we got sort of connecting rooms which was good because my children are only small. But the breakfast was quite awful and certainly not wroth the €20 per person. And most disappointing of all was the service. Whenever we asked for something, like changing the time of our car booking or getting tickets to the Villa Borghese, we were always given the impression that the effort was quite half-hearted with responses like "ok, we'll try." Well I have certainly seen better service than that, especially after our experience with Andaz in Amsterdam. We stayed there for 5 nights before we went to Rome. There at Andaz, whenever we asked for something, the response was always "Certainly, that's no problem at all." and accompanied by a big smile. We never saw that at Babuino 181.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Lamcks
Dear Guest,

I appreciate you taking the time to review your recent stay with us. The large, connecting rooms seemed to work well for your family and I'm glad you enjoyed our central location. I'm distressed to hear that the service you received was not up to our normal standards and I will personally talk with our front desk staff. And I'm sorry our breakfast did not meet your expectations. We offer guests a buffet of fresh fruit, meats, cheese, yoghurt, cereal and eggs so if there was something specific we are missing, I would love to hear directly from you.

If you return to Rome, I'd love the chance to personally oversee your stay.

London, Canada
Reviewed 31 July 2014

Babuino 181 was outstanding and posh. Amazing location and luxurious. The service was incredibly friendly and all the staff went above and beyond. Breakfast was delightful, with fresh fruit, breads, eggs, cereals, yogurt, meats and cheeses. Upon check in we were given a book with the owner's reviews of local restaurants and things to see and do. Every recommendation was bang on and certainly helped us avoid tourist traps. Being of Italian heritage this was most helpful as we ate and toured as the locals do and made new friends everywhere we went. We loved staying there and plan on making it our home away from home when we return to Rome.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary D
Dear Guest,

It is our goal for our guests to feel like they are experiencing Rome as a true Roman – how wonderful that you felt Babuino was your home away from home. Thank you so much for letting us know we had achieved our objective. We look forward to your return!

Alberto Moncada,
Reviewed 29 July 2014 via mobile

Wonderful place to stay while in Rome. Clean and modern rooms at a great location. Assem and the other staff were very helpful, friendly, accomodating and professional. I look forward to staying there again on my next visit to Rome.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Claudia N
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The hotel staff are amazing and very professional. They went out of their way to show us the room, to make us feel welcome, to introduce us to their favourite restaurants and the 'Roman notebook' that is left in the room for each guest is just a gem to unlock local area 'know how's.' The rooms were excellent - clean, welcoming and typically Italian Chic.

Expensive but worth the extra pounds especially if its a romantic weekend away and you want to be close to the Spanish steps. I love this hotel and I would definitely stay again - this time for more days.

Room Tip: There are only two floors, we stayed in 301 which didn't have the best view but ask for 305 as i...