“Nice place to take a break”
Review of Canova

Canova
Ranked #5,101 of 12,362 Restaurants in Rome
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Private Dining, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Campo Marzio
Description: Canova - The salon of Piazza del Popolo - Restaurant, cafe, bar, happy hour - everything in the square, sitting at the tables of a comfortable and exclusive 'salon'. Here every occasion for refreshment during the day is a unique occasion, because you are surrounded by some of the most impressive works of art in Rome, and because you are immersed in a truly magical atmosphere. Coming to Canova means experiencing the 'piazza' as if it belonged to you.
India
“Nice place to take a break”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

After a long day of sightseeing, if you end up in Piazza del Popolo,this is a nice place with outdoor seating where you can relax and have a couple drinks. Its location gives you a good view of the piazza and one can easily spend an hour or so observing the various artists doing their thing.

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
“Very very bad”
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

The staff is extremely rude.they dont speak english, give bad service because they know that tourists do not have enough time to choose proper places to eat. Great location, no value for money! Choose some other place

London, United Kingdom
“great location for lunch”
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My husband and I went to Piazza del Popolo for lunch. Our plan was to go to the recommended restuarant that the concierge had booked Dal Bolognese but we rejected it had no customers and was too formal for our needs. We went across the square to Canova and found a table in the shade. We liked it because it was full of locals who were eating in the their indoor restaurant. Outside, the tables are small and tightly squeezed in but this is all part of the experience and you have a great view of the piazza. We ordered mostly from the house specials - risotto with Champagne truffles to start which was delicious.. the risotto was al dente and the truffle infused a fantastic richness into the dish without making it too heavy. We were glad we shared it as the portion size is generous. As a main, my husband had veal milanese which was wafer thin and delicious with garlic potatoes and green beans. I had tagliatelle with prawns and courgettes. The pasta was fresh and the sauce was full of flavour. The bill was 56 euros which included a large bottle of water and a coke zero. The only small niggle was that the waiter did mix up my main course but was apologetic and rectified it very quickly.

Visited June 2014
1 Thank Susanaml043
Vancouver, Canada
“Good touristic location and interesting venue”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

It is on a main shopping street and alongside massive sculptures of historical representations within the restaurant in what looks like a working studio! We only had salads and they were very good and healthy which was a change from all the carbs in most places...they have those too! Waiters quite average in attentiveness typical of touristicRome so one cannot judge them too harshly compared to eg North American standards ( where they might be fired). However with interior restful seating or the busy roadside seating, most people ca find something of value. Pricey for sure but then again the location and Rome city costs are what you should expect in this type of place.

Rome, Italy
“Should have been better”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I have lived in Rome since 1986 and dine out frequently. In all those years, I had never had more than a drink at Canova, so was particularly pleased to finally have lunch in Canova's formal dining room, Canova Blu, which provides a lovely quiet respite from the hustle and bustle, albeit scenic Piazza del Popolo. My dining partner ordered rigatoni all'amatriciana, which was acceptable but far from exceptional. I ordered orata (gilthead sea bream) filet, which was accompanied by mixed vegetables (mushrooms, eggplant, peppers). This was not a filet as one might know it, but the entire fish opened and "boned". Unfortunately, the boning was very inadequate, the fish was almost tasteless, and worst of all, the scales had been left on the skin, which I normally eat, but could not on this occasion. The vegetables were, in general, tasty; however, there was an excess of oil in the preparation in my opinion. Nevertheless, compared with the fish, they at least were flavorful. I decided that the bones and scales did not warrant me sending the plate back, in part because I did not want to wait for another dish to be prepared. When finished with the meal, I informed the waiter that the scales were left on the skin of the fish. I was asked if I wanted something else, but his reaction was muted. By the way, I do not complain of prices in restaurants in the center of Rome, even formal ones, however, in this case, the meal should have been better considering the price paid. If you wish to have a formal meal instead of a drink at Canova, you may wish to think twice and try another dining establishment. Rome is loaded with wonderful restaurants that understand the concept of boning and the need to remove fish scales.