“It's all about the people and the experience!”
Review of Domus Valeria

Domus Valeria
Ranked #483 of 3,640 Rome B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersGold level
Seattle
“It's all about the people and the experience!”
Reviewed 19 September 2012

If I were rating Domus Valeria purely on the criteria of a hotel, it wouldn't get a five star rating. Don't expect a traditional five star hotel when you are coming here. However the experience of staying at Domus Valeria far exceeded those at much "higher quality" hotels and B&B's. Domus Valeria is about the people and thats what I enjoy most about travel. We stayed in a much posher B&B while in Rome as well and I will book DV as my first choice when I come back for my next visit.

1. This is a proudly gay owned B&B and we felt totally welcomed the moment we arrived. Over the week we were there there were several other guests staying, both gay and straight, and it made for a very fun and comfortable mix.

2. Marco helped us out with all our little issues and problems, even when we didn't ask. He printed maps, gave great recommendations, helped us with online reservations, and chatted with us as if we were part of his family. There is a very genuine, caring feeling to this place.

3. The location is awesome, breakfast every morning on the rooftop was a treat, and even though you share common areas and bathrooms, we were never disturbed or felt a loss of privacy.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
I want to thank you for your wonderful review.

Your words struck me!

You have understood and shared the philosophy of my house, and I'm glad to hear that your stay was nice.

Hope to see you in the near future

Marco V.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Just returned from 3 days in Rome, staying 2 nights at Domus Valeria and was very impressed. We stayed in a nearby apartment hotel for the 1st night at 3 times the price which was fine but couldn't compare in value with Domus Valeria. Marco looked after us really well - booking tickets, restaurants, printing maps and gave us some great insight into life in Rome - charming and a great host. His apartment is beautiful, exactly what you would imagine from a central Rome home and the roof terrace is a great place to start and finish a busy day of sightseeing. Our Room was comfortable with great air conditioning (essential!) and everything we could need - TV, robes, slippers, local guides, etc. Although the bathroom was shared there was never any problem using it when we needed. Lots of other things at your disposal if you need to use the fridge, glasses for drinks, nespresso machine etc. Would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, 17 September 2012
Thank you very much for the nice review.

Hope to see you very soon!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We arrived in Roma yesterday after a 24 hour journey. We were made to feel welcome from the first minute. Marco has thought of everything and his kindness make this a great place to stay.

The location is fantastic, we have walked everywhere, and seen most things without any hassle or trouble. Marco's background in travel means that he knows how to do things in a very busy tourist city of Rome.

Another nice thing about Domus Valeria is the other guests are very friendly, and at breakfast you find out so much more about what to see and do.

Thank You Marco for opening your home to us.

Craig and Leo

PS: If you are Australian and coming to stay here, bring Tim Tams. They are Marco's favourite!!

Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for the nice review.

Hope to see you very soon!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 25 August 2012

I stayed here with my friends for a couple days last October. The B&B is in a palazzo on a toney street very close to the Spanish Steps. The location could not be better. Our host, Marco, was most gracious. Our rooms were very nice (shared bathroom), and there is a wonderful rooftop terrace to relax, season and weather permitting. I highly recommend this place!

Room Tip: Large double rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, 26 August 2012
Many thanks for your nice review.
I hope to see you in the next near future, I wish you all the best

riyadh
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I couldn't speak more highly of this place. Marco is a wonderful host and made me feel at home the moment I arrived.

The apartment is tastefully decorated - coffee machine and kitchen available for guests. Each of the rooms are a good size (I stayed in the single room which was more than adequate). Upstairs on the roof is the garden area where breakfast is served each morning.

The B&B is located right in the heart of all the action... couldn't ask for a better location. Absolute value for money. I'm so glad I stayed here... it made my stay in Rome all that more enjoyable.

• Stayed August 2012
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, 19 August 2012
Many thanks for your nice review, It was a pleasure to be your host!
I hope to assist you once again on the next near future.

With warm regards

Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Marco is the warmest and most welcoming host you could find. He made us feel at home and helped us with booking entry tickets to galleries and museums. His apartment is very clean and well maintained. The location is superb as it is only metres from the Spanish steps, very convenient!

There was nothing like waking up in the morning and going up to the roof top to enjoy a sumptuous breakfast and perfect coffee. We felt very regal!

Thanks again Marco and hope to see you again sometime.

Mario and Sam from Adelaide Australia xx

Room Tip: If you are a couple then either of the double rooms are great. They are both very close to the bathr...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mario G
Marco Valerio A, Owner at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Many thanks for this review. It was a pleasure to assist you during your stay.
I really hope to see you once again in the future.

With warm regards

Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed 14 July 2012

Everything about my stay at Domus Valeria was perfect.

Location: Fifty steps from the Spanish Steps on the northern part of Rome. Near restaurants, shops, and everything you could want or need. It was easy to walk anywhere I needed to go, even as far at the Colosseum, which took about 20-25 minutes. Buses and taxis are right outside the door if you are not the walking type, and the Metro is 2 minutes away.

Marco the owner: He made me feel like I was home. This is his apartment with 4 bedrooms and the kitchen and dining area were open for me to use. I never felt like I was intruding. Marco was always available whenever I needed him, served a delightful, wholesome breakfast on the gorgeous roof deck, gave great recommendations, chatted about anything, and spoke English very well. He felt like a friend.

Facilities: The room was charming and spacious with a lovely view of the quiet, quaint surrounding apartments. The shared bathroom, which was actually no trouble at all sharing, was spotless. There is a young man who cleans thoroughly everyday and is super sweet. The decor makes you feel like you are truly in Rome. Marco has good taste for decorating. The refrigerator is big; you can put leftovers in there. If you wanted to cook, open a bottle of wine, or cut up some cheese, Marco has what you would need to do so and it's no trouble at all. Also, access to the roof deck is worth every penny of your money spent here. It was beautiful, spacious, and comfortable with couches to lounge on, tables to sit at, and cover from the sun if needed. Lastly, the Internet access was fast and free. Huge plus.

Food: Like I said, breakfast was fantastic. Marco actually waits on you, providing you with a generous spread of toast, pastry, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, oatmeal, fruit, jams, juice, coffee, tea, and more. He even leaves out a pastry in case you get hungry after breakfast hours (or you slept through them).

Atmosphere: Domus Valeria is gay friendly, which gives it a warm, welcoming feel to it. Even though I was straight, I felt completely welcomed and comfortable. Marco goes out of his way to make you feel like you belong here. Even if you are a straight couple or you're traveling solo, don't pass up the opportunity to stay here just because you think Domus Valeria is gay-only. It's not that way at all. I met a couple of gay travelers during my stay and they were so friendly and personable yet unobtrusive. I think the atmosphere of Domus Valeria attracts really good people.

Overall, I would very highly recommend Domus Valeria. I loved my stay there, it was affordable, and Marco's service was fantastic. He sure raises the bar for all bed & breakfast accommodations. I can't imagine finding another B&B to match!

Meri

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
Marco Valerio A, Proprietario at Domus Valeria, responded to this review, 17 July 2012
Many thanks for the nice review.

I was happy to be your host and I hope to see you once again in the future!

I wish you all the best of luck for your future projects.