“Watch out for the ticket scam”

City Sightseeing Rome
Book In Advance
More Info
US$118.98*
and up
City Sightseeing Transportation and Skip-The-Line...
Ranked #737 of 851 Tours in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Rome Hop on Hop Off Open Top Sightseeing Bus Tour
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Brought two tickets from a kiosk (paid cash as kiosk would not accept card payment).
Boarded bus and the attendant ripped the stub and gave us one end and kept the other.

We got off the bus at the Vatican and 3 hours later we tried to board again.
However, we were unable to board as we had not been given a white receipt when we first boarded.
Could be a innocent mistake by initial member of staff although as time passes I strongly suspect this is a well executed scam and our tickets were probably later resold to supplement a fraudulent employees income.
I sent a email to make company aware but 1 week later have not received a reply let alone an acknowledgment.

As with other reviews we heard many passengers complain about how infrequent the service was , particularly as it was a very, very rainy Rome day.
Furthermore despite the roof cover many of seats were soaking wet.

I would avoid and maybe look at a better service.

5  Thank Rab S
Write a ReviewReviews (1,743)

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We visited Rome over the Easter bank holiday. On arrival to the airport we followed the signs to airport shuttle bus. Note this is quite a long walk but signs are clear to follow. Once you reach there you will see many stands but we went with the one that was going to leave next, (romeairportbus.com). They all charge the same 4 euros per person, kids under 5 are free.

When you reach the train station which is the drop off point you will have to walk through the station and there will be boards giving directions where to go.

I had booked my tickets before hand direct with City Sightseeing and it was much cheaper. I paid £40 for 2 adults and 2 Kids for the 24 hours.

Now a few points to note with regards to the tour and staff itself;
1) Unfriendly staff, half of them don't even speak english.
2) The headphones that you can use to listen into the commentary were not working on some of the buses and if you were luck enough then the volume would be really low.
3) The drop off points to the attractions were really far esp at the trevi fountain ( 20 min walk) and at the Vatican (25 min walk). My little ones were really tired as the weather was warm and the places were crowded with people.
4) Be aware that when waiting for the bus there may be people who try and jump the queue. The staff or drivers do nothing about this which is a real shame.
5) The tour lasts around 2 hours if you just stay on it and don't get off. However, if you do get off and visit the sites then can be longer. That's why I bought the 24 hour tickets so I can take my time.

Some of the buses were looking really tired. Leather was ripped off the seats, paint coming off the rails, rubbish left by other guests but the staff would not even clean it up. Looked really shabby.

Overall if I were to visit Rome again I would not use them. I would try my luck else where.

3  Thank RajaStyle
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

This was the WORST tour we have ever experienced! The conditions are so poor and dated. Customers are made to wait hours in lines in the hot sun and even worse when finally board the busses they are hot, no aircon and packed full. Our tour had 2 young staff, who were both very rude and uninformative. As the bus turned a corner a old man tipped off his wheelchair and smacked his head into the ground. Everyone on the bus raced to help while the staff stood back. Afterwards they proceeded to go back to the front of the buss and laugh and tell jokes while completely ignoring the fact the elderly man was bleeding and bruised. A women went to the front of the bus to ask where the commentary was as there was nothing coming from the headphones. She was basically yelled at and told when we get to the spot they will speak. The commentary was poor and out of time. Overall for the price of the tour we expected ALOT more. You need to work on your systems, customer service and update your busses. We would not recommend this to anyone travelling to Rome.

3  Thank tinyperson
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

It's totally not worth it to get onto this bus tour because it is impossible to get to sights using this services during the day. The brochure also provides misleading and deceptive information by saying that the frequency is 10min but in reality it's every 30min. It's also impossible to get on if you start mid way so we had to wait an hour at least to get onto a bus. The stops are far away and it skipped many sights. If you had a good experience with this company in Florence and think it's the same in Rome, you are wrong, just like me. Also, their service representatives are extremely unhelpful and rude, saw them yelling at an old American lady and ask her to be silent as she was complaining that she had to wait for an hour for a bus.

4  Thank Qu J