“Disappointing”

More attraction details
Owner description: Rome Hop on Hop Off Open Top Sightseeing Bus Tour
Useful Information: Wheelchair access
Reviewed 8 July 2014

More expensive than the other providers. The commentary was very poor, instead of music between commentary silence would have been preferable. We chose to buy tickets for the fast track entry to the Vatican, the museum gave us a voucher for the bus ride back and we then had the embarrassment of being questioned when we got back on the bus. Staff unhelpful for a tourist attraction. Was not worth the money and would use another provider in the future. Check other bus providers before you chose this one.

3  Thank Andrew P
There are newer reviews for City Sightseeing Rome

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Just got back from a weekend in Rome, booked hop on hop off to make sure we maximised the 48 hours we had there. Wish I hadn't wasted my time or money!!

It's 35 degrees and the bus stops are not under cover, you spend most of the time just sitting on a bus not going anywhere getting heat stroke, that is if you can even get close to a bus in the first place! It's disorganised, unprofessional and a waste of time and money! The reps aren't interested in the angry hoards of people waiting for buses but push past you trying to sell even more tickets!

We gave up using them after the first two failed attempts and walked to the tourist attractions, yes it's warm but at least you can duck in the shade or stop to have a drink unlike having to sit on a bus for 40 minutes in the full sunshine which isn't actually going anywhere.

My one tip for this company - AVOID!!

4  Thank KellyandDean14
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Ok it is a tourist bus, and there is a commentary so you do learn bits and pieces, but the music in between the commentary gets really annoying. We were there in July, it is stinking hot, yet most of the buses do not even have a partial canopy on the top deck therefore you get roasted as you spend a lot of time in the hot sun while you wait in the traffic jams. On the lower level there is no air con, so it's the " you wouldn't leave a dog in a hot car" idea. It is unbearably hot on the lower level! The other real snag is that the traffic in Rome is very busy, so it takes ages to get anywhere and the stops are few and far between.

3  Thank celtical0
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Brought two tickets from a kiosk (paid cash as kiosk would not accept card payment).
Boarded bus and the attendant ripped the stub and gave us one end and kept the other.

We got off the bus at the Vatican and 3 hours later we tried to board again.
However, we were unable to board as we had not been given a white receipt when we first boarded.
Could be a innocent mistake by initial member of staff although as time passes I strongly suspect this is a well executed scam and our tickets were probably later resold to supplement a fraudulent employees income.
I sent a email to make company aware but 1 week later have not received a reply let alone an acknowledgment.

As with other reviews we heard many passengers complain about how infrequent the service was , particularly as it was a very, very rainy Rome day.
Furthermore despite the roof cover many of seats were soaking wet.

I would avoid and maybe look at a better service.

5  Thank Rab S
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We visited Rome over the Easter bank holiday. On arrival to the airport we followed the signs to airport shuttle bus. Note this is quite a long walk but signs are clear to follow. Once you reach there you will see many stands but we went with the one that was going to leave next, (romeairportbus.com). They all charge the same 4 euros per person, kids under 5 are free.

When you reach the train station which is the drop off point you will have to walk through the station and there will be boards giving directions where to go.

I had booked my tickets before hand direct with City Sightseeing and it was much cheaper. I paid £40 for 2 adults and 2 Kids for the 24 hours.

Now a few points to note with regards to the tour and staff itself;
1) Unfriendly staff, half of them don't even speak english.
2) The headphones that you can use to listen into the commentary were not working on some of the buses and if you were luck enough then the volume would be really low.
3) The drop off points to the attractions were really far esp at the trevi fountain ( 20 min walk) and at the Vatican (25 min walk). My little ones were really tired as the weather was warm and the places were crowded with people.
4) Be aware that when waiting for the bus there may be people who try and jump the queue. The staff or drivers do nothing about this which is a real shame.
5) The tour lasts around 2 hours if you just stay on it and don't get off. However, if you do get off and visit the sites then can be longer. That's why I bought the 24 hour tickets so I can take my time.

Some of the buses were looking really tired. Leather was ripped off the seats, paint coming off the rails, rubbish left by other guests but the staff would not even clean it up. Looked really shabby.

Overall if I were to visit Rome again I would not use them. I would try my luck else where.

3  Thank RajaStyle