“Wonderful last night in Rome”
Review of Enoteca Spiriti

Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Navona / Pantheon / Campo de’ Fiori
Reviewed 3 June 2013

After three nights in Rome and 10 in Italy, I still hadn't found a place that I wanted to give five stars to. Until this place. My husband and I visited in the early evening on a Tuesday, and the owner, Nana, was a delight. She talked to us about our wine preferences and recommended one we were unfamiliar with. Great choice. The wine was accompanied by a nice plate of bruschetta. Nana was fantastic throughout the night, explaining the dishes on the menu and basically being an excellent hostess. I ordered a Piemontese steak (18 euro), which was so tender and flavorful. It also came with potatoes and a small salad with fennel. My husband ordered the insalata di riso, which had chick peas and a hint of fennel. Delicious! Nana brought us a slice of the most heavenly apple pie (custard base) and I had to try the chocolate cake too (delicious and moist). She also had us try a wonderful wine for dessert, because we share the same name as the grape. It was fantastic!

The prices were varied as was the menu. There is an obvious emphasis on Slow Food. It would be easy to stop by for just a drink and appetizer or create an evening out of it, as we did.

All in all, it was a delightful evening with excellent wine, food, and hospitality. Nana chatted with me in my broken Italian (her English is better than my Italian), and I loved how she described the wines and the foods. The setting is perfect, just around the corner from the Pantheon but on a much quieter street with outdoor seating. We were the only non-Italians. If I get back to Rome, I'll definitely return to this gem!

Reviewed 17 February 2013

High quality food and wine. Slightly on the expensive side but they do rotate their menu and the selection is great. No brainer if you're in the area. Very cramped bathroom.

Reviewed 8 January 2013

When I was writing the 1st review of this place a couple of months ago, it was after a visit on which we have had some salmon and other salad-like food. This time we have tried the cruda piemontese, which turned out to be an excellent tartar made of raw unmarinated meat, as well as the steak, which was probably the best fillet I have tried in a very long while. Slightly marinated in a rosemary and olive oil and left almost raw. Yet it was incredibly juicy and tender. So I can say there are at least three reasons to visit Spiriti: 1) nice outdoor seating on a quiet street in the very center of the town (as well as the fact that the guys open for dinner earlier than most of the good places - at 6PM); 2) the wines; 3) the steaks made of excellent piemontese meat.

Reviewed 11 December 2012

When we found this little haven in central Rome we where instantly charmed by the wonderful hostess who greeted us. Most places in central Rome are not orientated around customer satisfaction but the instant you head in the door your get that feeling.

Their menu is in Italian only and we where amazed as we had almost the whole menu translated for us as best as they could with a smile and wine suggestions.

The atmosphere was warm and the food absolutely delicious, the chef even kept poking his head out to see if we where enjoying our meal! The wine choice is vast and very reasonably priced, we tasted various different wines before eventually deciding which one we would have a glass of, we felt spoiled to say the least.

After the meal we were offered their special chocolate cake, rich but not to overpowering we laughed out loud at how good it was! We even decided to have a glass of prosecco (generous glass - again) to celebrate what a marvellous experience the night had been.

If you want a slice of the REAL Rome, get a large slice of Enoteca Spiriti.

Reviewed 20 November 2012

It is just a few steps away from the two main attraction points of the area - Caffe St Eustachio and Pantheon. But the street where this establishment is located is incredibly peaceful and calm. We sat there for an hour or so, sipping our wine and enjoying the chatter of apparently locals, who came by, greeted each other, dressed up in an old-fashioned aristocratic way. The first thing to pay attention to is the wine selection - not only will you find a good range of decent wines at 20euros, but also you would be surprised that some of the upper-class Italian wines will be poured by the glass at a reasonable price. Cuisine isn't the main feature of this establishment, but this doesn't mean that we didn't enjoy our light dinner. It is just designed in a way to be a nice company to the various wines you can taste here. If it is not too cold, sit outside and enjoy the air of Rome... It is lovely altogether.