“Luxury in Rome”

Althea Inn Roof Terrace
Ranked #9 of 3,735 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 May 2014

A wonderful trip to the city of Rome, made all the better by our delightful accommodation. A real find, beyond our expectations, with a spacious, comfortable room, relaxing terrace and a charming host.

The Althea Inn is a great location for all the main sites, easy for public transport and local amenities. If your looking for a warm, serene, friendly and convenient then this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask the host for local restaurant suggestions.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Isabelle122

Reviewed 27 May 2014

The althea inn is owned by alessandro who provides a perfectly balanced personal service. From meeting us outside the inn when we arrived, helping us with our bags, finding out what we wanted for breakfast, bringing it to us every morning, providing us with travel directions and being available for us to text and email at any time. He was the perfect host. The althea inn itself is unassuming and situated on the top of a residential block. The room itself is a haven of tranquility and the shabby-chic decor is clearly well thought through. Cleaned every day, after long days of sight-seeing in the sunshine, we came back to out spacious double room with good size shower en-suite and the gorgeous terrace, providing us with a place to relax, enclosed by beautiful plants. The inn is located near a pyramid, providing an easy landmark to find our way back to. There is train, metro, bus and tram access nearby and cabs take approximately 15mins (€10-15) to get to the Vatican, colloseum and key sights in the centre of town. The inn is within walking distance to clubs, bars and good restaurants (definitely try novocento!). I would recommend the althea inn to couples or friends who are looking for good value, good location, relaxing, clean and friendly accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank CeriLS
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

When looking for places to stay for my trip to Rome, I knew I wanted to stay in a B&B to have a little bit more of an authentic experience (versus staying in an impersonal hotel room). I looked on TripAdvisor for reviews and saw Althea Inn... The pictures looked gorgeous and the reviews were excellent, so I booked hoping that the pictures and reviews would be accurate for my experience. I am happy to say that all of the glowing reviews and pictures are 100% accurate and spot-on.

This B&B is, in a word, exceptional. Alessandro goes above and beyond every chance he gets to ensure that your stay is comfortable. My flight into Rome arrived well before check-in time... Not a problem, and I was greeted with a smile and breakfast (which after a long day of flying is always appreciated). Breakfast every morning was delicious and filling (I particularly loved the meats and cheeses, as well as the espresso), which for someone who relies on breakfast for fuel was especially important! The room was spotless and beautifully arranged in purple and white. The terrace was probably my favorite part of the room - it was huge (I had a corner room), and had many potted plants and lights that at night just looked magical. The Testaccio area is, I think, authentically Roman, and never once did I feel unsafe (which is especially important for a single female traveler). The neighborhood also has several great restaurants (Novecento just down the street is particularly good and decently priced), markets, pharmacies, and Eataly is just a 10-minute walk away. It's also very close to the Piramide metro stop (3 blocks) as well as the Ostiense train station, which made getting there from Fiumicino a breeze.

Alessandro is warm, kind, and always on hand to help with anything you need. I needed to print out my pass to go to the Vatican Museums and he was happy to do it for me! He checked in with me every day to see what my plans were and gave me very helpful advice for seeing the sites in Rome. Finally, on my last day when I was leaving for Firenze, Alessandro offered to drive me himself to Termini so I wouldn't have to lug my (very heavy) bags through the metro stations, at no extra cost!!! That is the definition of good customer service and going the extra mile to ensure your clients are happy.

This is by far the best B&B in Rome... It's a truly exceptional place. When I come back to Rome, there's no question as to where I'll be staying... This is it, look no further! Thank you Alessandro for your hospitality and impeccable service - you made my trip to Rome unforgettable!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank darklikefox
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at the delightful Althea Inn for a week,and for a week we felt like honoured guests. Alessandro organised a taxi to collect us from the airport,and from the moment of our arrival,was always on hand for help or information. Our room was beautifully decorated,and a lot of thought had obviously gone into the decor. It was spotlessly clean,with,as previous reviewers have said,everything you need for your comfort,i.e,hairdryer,safe,kettle,with tea,coffee and sugar replenished daily,and a mini-fridge with very reasonably priced soft drinks and prosecco,and free bottles of water. The breakfasts were simply lovely,fresh fruit salad,cheese,ham,and delicious pastries. And when we returned hot and tired to our room after a day's sightseeing,Alessandro had either left a bottle of wine,fresh fruit or flowers,or was on hand with reviving coffees,freshly squeezed juices or dishes of fresh fruit. Althea Inn is perfectly situated in the Testaccio/Ostiense area,very handy for Pyramide metro and bus station,and with plenty of restaurants around. A favourite of ours was Olio,Sale e Pepe,which is literally around the corner. We really cannot recommend Althea Inn highly enough,and can't wait for a return visit. Definitely the best B and B in Rome.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heathersmile24
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We had a wonderful few days here in April. The rooms were spotless and each has a beautiful terrace. Alessandro was the perfect host, making delicious breakfasts in the morning and recommending great restaurants nearby. I would thoroughly recommend staying here.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tim P
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We stayed at one of Alessandro’s lovely apartments for our honeymoon in April and were treated with some of the best client/customer service we have experienced for a long long time. All our queries were answered constructively and solutions were found to any problems. The ease with which all of these exchanges occurred – such as organising a taxi pick-up at the last minute and finding train times/connections – really helped us relax and enjoy the overall stay in Rome. The room was laid out very nicely with some lovely, well considered design choices, and all of our needs as guests were thought of – such as a safe, a hairdryer, a kettle, a cheap minibar, free drinking water along with lots of little ‘extras’, such as fruit put in our for us in the afternoons and a bottle of wine to greet us. The breakfasts delivered to the door were amazing and simply delightful. The room was really clean and tidy, and the terrace had lighting for the evening as well as a brilliant range of plants that made it a great environment to relax in. Alessandro obviously takes great care and pride in his apartments and thought of every detail from a traveller’s perspective. We had an utterly fantastic time and would thoroughly recommend staying here. In fact, we plan to come back to Rome and stay as return visitors in the lovely Althea Inn!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 April 2014

Stayed at the amazing Althea Inn last weekend and have to say it's one of the best places i've stayed in (and i've been to plenty of 5* hotels). The help and service given to us by Alessandro was excellent. The accomodation was fantastic, spotlessly clean bedding and fluffy white towels. Wine on arrival, complimentary bottles of water. One word sums it up really - Perfect! Will definitely recommend to family and friends. Thank you Alessandro!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family