“Beautiful room and excellent host!”

Althea Inn Roof Terrace
Ranked #10 of 3,734 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 June 2014

My husband and I recently spent part of our honeymoon in Rome and stayed at the beautiful Althea Inn. The room was spotless, stylishly decorated, and very comfortable. Alessandro was a wonderful host, helping to make recommendations for dinner and giving us information about transportation to and from the sites we wished to tour. His breakfasts, delivered to your room right on time each morning, are fresh, delicious and personalized. My husband has a milk allergy and Alessandro took care to provide him with things he could eat. In addition, when he realized how much we liked espresso, he made sure to deliver a second one about 15 minutes after delivering our first. For the price, you absolutely can't beat Althea Inn. Fantastic location, as well--very close to the metro station, great restaurants and away from all the tourists. Highly recommend!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Christie Z

Reviewed 31 May 2014

My husband & I had a FANTASTIC 1 week stay at the Althea Inn in Rome. We have stayed at many wonderful B&Bs in Europe, but the Althea Inn is truly extraordinary! The Althea Inn is absolutely perfect, owing to its charming rooms (ours had a balcony), terrific host Alessandro, wonderful breakfast and great personal service. The Althea Inn is located in one of Rome's wonderful historic neighborhoods that is very close to major historic sites & great little restaurants. We loved walking from the Althea Inn (or taking the quick metro) each day to see Rome's ancient sites & special neighborhoods. This was our 2nd stay at the Althea Inn, and we can't wait to return to this absolutely extraordinary B&B again!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

We had an amazing time staying at Althea Inn on our first and very special visit to Rome.

Alessandro is the perfect host and was very helpful from the moment I made my enquiry about the B&B. He not only provided helpful information about the sights of Rome & what's advisable to book ahead of time but also offered to arrange a transfers (highly advisable) but also helped with many small queries and questions I had.

Upon arrival we found a gorgeous room with a small but very nice terrace that smelt great from the plant pots. Allesandro was very welcoming & went out of his way to ensure we had a pleasant stay.

Room - we loved it. Very big comfortable bed, nice bathroom with shower & lots of personal touches to make it a unique boutique B&B. Our refrigerator was constantly replenished & the housekeeping are very nice & made sure our room was immaculate for when we returned from our busy days out exploring the city. We found fresh flowers in vases & chocolates in our draws which was a thoughtful gesture that didn't go unnoticed.

Allesandro came himself to serve breakfast every morning which was a selection of pastries, cold meat, fruit, juice & hot drinks. Everything was delicious & me & my boyfriend tried to savour as much as possible.

We had the BEST time in Rome & cannot imagine staying anywhere else. Althea Inn is truely worthy of all the praise it has received so far & we wish it all the best for the future. If you want an authentic stay in a great location where the staff goes out of it's way to make your stay special than this is the place to go.

We cannot wait to return.

Krupa & Nimit.

Engaged in Rome on 18th May 2014 xx

1  Thank Krups8
Reviewed 27 May 2014

A wonderful trip to the city of Rome, made all the better by our delightful accommodation. A real find, beyond our expectations, with a spacious, comfortable room, relaxing terrace and a charming host.

The Althea Inn is a great location for all the main sites, easy for public transport and local amenities. If your looking for a warm, serene, friendly and convenient then this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: Ask the host for local restaurant suggestions.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Isabelle122
Reviewed 27 May 2014

The althea inn is owned by alessandro who provides a perfectly balanced personal service. From meeting us outside the inn when we arrived, helping us with our bags, finding out what we wanted for breakfast, bringing it to us every morning, providing us with travel directions and being available for us to text and email at any time. He was the perfect host. The althea inn itself is unassuming and situated on the top of a residential block. The room itself is a haven of tranquility and the shabby-chic decor is clearly well thought through. Cleaned every day, after long days of sight-seeing in the sunshine, we came back to out spacious double room with good size shower en-suite and the gorgeous terrace, providing us with a place to relax, enclosed by beautiful plants. The inn is located near a pyramid, providing an easy landmark to find our way back to. There is train, metro, bus and tram access nearby and cabs take approximately 15mins (€10-15) to get to the Vatican, colloseum and key sights in the centre of town. The inn is within walking distance to clubs, bars and good restaurants (definitely try novocento!). I would recommend the althea inn to couples or friends who are looking for good value, good location, relaxing, clean and friendly accommodation.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank CeriLS
Reviewed 5 May 2014 via mobile

When looking for places to stay for my trip to Rome, I knew I wanted to stay in a B&B to have a little bit more of an authentic experience (versus staying in an impersonal hotel room). I looked on TripAdvisor for reviews and saw Althea Inn... The pictures looked gorgeous and the reviews were excellent, so I booked hoping that the pictures and reviews would be accurate for my experience. I am happy to say that all of the glowing reviews and pictures are 100% accurate and spot-on.

This B&B is, in a word, exceptional. Alessandro goes above and beyond every chance he gets to ensure that your stay is comfortable. My flight into Rome arrived well before check-in time... Not a problem, and I was greeted with a smile and breakfast (which after a long day of flying is always appreciated). Breakfast every morning was delicious and filling (I particularly loved the meats and cheeses, as well as the espresso), which for someone who relies on breakfast for fuel was especially important! The room was spotless and beautifully arranged in purple and white. The terrace was probably my favorite part of the room - it was huge (I had a corner room), and had many potted plants and lights that at night just looked magical. The Testaccio area is, I think, authentically Roman, and never once did I feel unsafe (which is especially important for a single female traveler). The neighborhood also has several great restaurants (Novecento just down the street is particularly good and decently priced), markets, pharmacies, and Eataly is just a 10-minute walk away. It's also very close to the Piramide metro stop (3 blocks) as well as the Ostiense train station, which made getting there from Fiumicino a breeze.

Alessandro is warm, kind, and always on hand to help with anything you need. I needed to print out my pass to go to the Vatican Museums and he was happy to do it for me! He checked in with me every day to see what my plans were and gave me very helpful advice for seeing the sites in Rome. Finally, on my last day when I was leaving for Firenze, Alessandro offered to drive me himself to Termini so I wouldn't have to lug my (very heavy) bags through the metro stations, at no extra cost!!! That is the definition of good customer service and going the extra mile to ensure your clients are happy.

This is by far the best B&B in Rome... It's a truly exceptional place. When I come back to Rome, there's no question as to where I'll be staying... This is it, look no further! Thank you Alessandro for your hospitality and impeccable service - you made my trip to Rome unforgettable!

• Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank darklikefox
Reviewed 26 April 2014

We stayed at the delightful Althea Inn for a week,and for a week we felt like honoured guests. Alessandro organised a taxi to collect us from the airport,and from the moment of our arrival,was always on hand for help or information. Our room was beautifully decorated,and a lot of thought had obviously gone into the decor. It was spotlessly clean,with,as previous reviewers have said,everything you need for your comfort,i.e,hairdryer,safe,kettle,with tea,coffee and sugar replenished daily,and a mini-fridge with very reasonably priced soft drinks and prosecco,and free bottles of water. The breakfasts were simply lovely,fresh fruit salad,cheese,ham,and delicious pastries. And when we returned hot and tired to our room after a day's sightseeing,Alessandro had either left a bottle of wine,fresh fruit or flowers,or was on hand with reviving coffees,freshly squeezed juices or dishes of fresh fruit. Althea Inn is perfectly situated in the Testaccio/Ostiense area,very handy for Pyramide metro and bus station,and with plenty of restaurants around. A favourite of ours was Olio,Sale e Pepe,which is literally around the corner. We really cannot recommend Althea Inn highly enough,and can't wait for a return visit. Definitely the best B and B in Rome.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple