“Nice place to stay for a fair price”
Review of Villa Urbani

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rome
Villa Urbani
Ranked #443 of 1,261 Hotels in Rome
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Nice place to stay for a fair price”
Reviewed 11 May 2012

A nice place to stay in Rome, the rooms are big and the quality of sleep you are going to get there is very very good...

Laura is a good host.. although she seems to be bit shy so maybe few travellers may think that she doesnt care for her guests... well everything we asked her to do (arrange taxi, giving tips...) she did... so I have nothing to complain...

I would stay there again.. specially if you are with your whole family...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joao T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Finnish first
São Paulo
Reviewed 12 February 2012

We chose Villa Urbani based on location and price and were not disappointed. We found the Gold Room good value for money at EUR100 per night. The Villa is about 10 mins walk uphill from the popular Trastevere neighbourhood - close enough to not worry about transport provided you're fit, far enough to get away from the crowds when you're done sightseeing. I can understand that some travellers would find the hostess, Laura, a bit aloof. But I found her service professional and her prices honest in a city that isn't really known for either quality. I would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
Kent, Connecticut
Reviewed 1 December 2011

located in trasavere is the fabulous villa urbani. chic neighborhood, chic owner and wonderful acoomodations. the value is tremendous. 150usd. The rooms are large, tasteful and comfortable.the palazzo has been completelty updated. a large common area to have breakfast in. Laura the owner is most helpful. Marcello and his wife often help with breakfast and maintain the property and gardens. The pictures on line do not do it justice. if you truly want to experience rome as a city this is the place to stay.

Room Tip: all of the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank igoldspiel
Melle, Gent
Reviewed 21 November 2011

Since several years, my wife and I go on an annually trip to Rome, last year we chose for the first time Villa Urbani as B&B. It has pleased us so much that we went back this year, and we have no intention to change that for our future trips.
It’s a very beautiful palazzo along a nice boulevard with large trees from which it’s a 5 to 10 minutes walk to Trastevere. If you’re not too keen on walking you can decide to take the bus that takes you to the centre, the bus stop being only at 1 minute away. The B&B has large comfortable rooms, nicely and tasteful arranged and disposes of a very nice common place were breakfast is served or where you can relax, listening to music or reading in one of the interesting books of the library.
Laura is a charming person, interested in art and culture in general and is eager to help you if you need any information.

Pascal, Belgium

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 25 October 2011

My visit to Rome this time was a quick one (just one night) which was a shame as I would have loved exploring more of the neighborhood in which this bed and breakfast is located.

The room I stayed at was small, but beautifully decorated, comfortable, and quiet. I loved the walk home from dinner with friends over the river, through Trastevere and up the hill to the Villa Urbani a jewel box of a mansion in a neighborhood with huge graceful trees and winding roads. I slept like a baby!

Laura provided a delicious breakfast and suggested that I head up the hill for the "view". Wow. A panorama of the city all to myself on a crisp day in October.

As a note to other visitors - yes, there are stairs, but the staircase is large and elegant and easy to climb/carry cases. Walking is the best way of transport in this neighborhood (which I love - how else can you stop and drink it all in?), but the bus stop to get you to the center of things in mere minutes is only a few steps away.

When I return to Rome I hope to stay here again and will recommend to friends.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 11 October 2011

Totally agree with last review posted by dhs13!

It is a beautiful home - but Laura lacks the warmth and friendliness you would expect at a minimum for running a B&B.

We had little to no access to her and on the odd occasion (if we saw her) her responses to the questions we had were short and it seemed like we were interrupting her. When asked about a place for dinner she handed us a business card - turns out it was a dear friend of hers who owned the restaurant. Tastevere is a magical place - but she had given us skimpy directions to get there and we only found what we were looking for on our last night - so unfortunate as she wasn't able to direct us properly. No maps were available and no time spent helping out write out the directions.

Breakfast was minimal at best - and 3 times it was served up by her Gardener! Hellooo! She was nowhere to be found and we would have appreciated seeing her in the morning before heading out to see the sights.

Only accepting cash caused us great dismay not to mention the need to go into town to withdraw from bank. She should be more up front about this and it also leaves one to wonder why is it cash only (if you get my drift).

There are so many other B&Bs in this area that we could have stayed in and regret spending our time and money at this one.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 456_11
South Florida
Reviewed 1 October 2011

My husband and I are frequent travelers and this was our fourth trip to Rome. I chose this B&B because I saw a small writie-up in Travel and Liesure touting the nice decor and the owner's background. What a mistake!
First, the good: The rooms are clean and the property is a beautiful mansion in a quiet neightborhood.
Now, the reality.We arrived and were met by the owner, Laura Urbani. She was pleasant and showed us to the "guest" entrance and up TWO fights of marble stairs to our room. We are in good shape, but there is no other access if you have a disability. There are only 3 guest rooms and a good-sized sitting/breakfast room. The AC was off in the sitting room and the hall areas- our room AC, luckily, was turned on. After showing us to our room, we asked about a place for dinner. ( It was about 6 p.m.) She handed us a a card for a local restaurant and I asked for a map. She had none. I asked about transportation- she vaguely suggested we walk, yet she gave no directions?! She then excused herself and we started to unpack. We had some questions and went looking for her or anyone else. All of the downstairs doors were marked "privato" and no one answered. We finally rang the front door bell and she came out, looking surprised. We asked directions again and she directed us toward the closest area of local restaurants. It involved walking about half a mile including down 66 steps and large landings down the side of a large hill. We had to take this route every time we wanted to get to anything and obviously, we had to return UP these same steps to get back. The hotel sits in a very hilly residential area of Trestavere. We liked the Trestavere area and ate there most nights, but the hotel is HIGH ABOVE the main area of Trestavere and not easily accessible.
Breakfast was continental: some orange juice, (no fruit), croissants, (one type of preserve), and coffee or capuccino. The capuccino was very good. At breakfast, we saw Laura again.
We asked about local information and instead of having anything on hand, she directed us again to the information booth in Trestavere which was about 3/4 mile away walking DOWN the steps and toward the river and the main part of Rome. Then, she said "If you don't have any ,more questions, I'm going to walk my dogs"- and she disappeared! She did this every morning. It became a joke between my husband and myself. If we hadn't been to Rome before, we would have been lost!
IMPORTANT: You can book your room using Paypal, but paying the balance of your bill will require cash. She doesn't take credit cards. AND, although there is a TV in the room, there are no channels in English- only a few and only in Italian.
BOTTOM LINE: If you stay here, don't expect any service or much help and plan on spending a fortune on cabs or wasting a lot of time just getting into the main part of Trestavere. For sightseeing, the location is poor and the owner, although she's nice, has no idea how to run a bed and breakfast.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dhs13
urbla, Proprietario at Villa Urbani, responded to this review, 5 October 2011
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. As you will have seen from the site, and read from the other comments about the B&B, the location is 10 minutes walk from the centre of Trastevere, something that does have its pros and cons: one has to either take a bus/cab if one does not want to walk for 10 minutes, however it is a quiet area, away from the noise and confusion of the busy restaurant area that is Trastevere.
When you asked me for information I am sorry that I did not have any maps (something I do usually have) but when I directed you to the tourist information office it was because they have all the information and they sell tickets for museums/transport as well as the “Roma Pass”. As you go down the hill and into town you pass in front of the office anyway.
Again I am sorry to hear that you found the stairs you had to climb were a problem. Villa Urbani is a villa built at the turn of the last century and installing a lift would mean radically changing the look and feel of the building.
I regret to hear you felt abandoned when I left in the morning to take my dogs for a 15-minute walk. If you had any problems you could have asked me while I was there, called me on my mobile phone - as I would have come back to help you if I could, or asked Marcello who was there serving breakfast.
My idea of a B&B is to offer help and assistance when I can but give my guests the freedom of the villa so they can feel that they are in their own house. I wish you had approached me during your stay as I would have been more than happy to have given you more assistance.