“Excellent budget alternative”

Ranked #782 of 3,692 Rome B&B and Inns
Seattle, Washington
“Excellent budget alternative”
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Maior B&B is an incredible deal for the price: Lidia and her husband are super sweet and helpful, their location is a very short walk to Roma Termini, and the accomodations are very comfortable. The only downside is that the place can be a bit tricky to find. Navigate to Piazza di Santa Maria Maggiore, find the cafe across the street on Via Dell'Esquilino, and look for a large door to the left. You'll have to buzz in to get inside the first time.

Lidia went out of her way to help us during our short and hectic stay in Rome, and I wouldn't dream of checking out a hostel in Rome before going back to Maior.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mark R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Korean first
Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

Well appointed rooms and convenient walking distance around Roma. Owner recommended excellent non-tourist restaurants. Especially enjoyed being next to the Santa Maria Maggiore church and within a traditional flat. We will stay here on our next visit to Roma!

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank Leon D
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 21 March 2013

By saying typically Roman, I mean that you are staying in the heart of this fabulous city in a large 19th century house, which ressembles an old palazzo. You can hear the bells of Santa Maria Maggiore and walk nearly everywhere by foot.
The appartment itself is clean, the single room is large enough and had wooden furniture in retro style which is much more pleasant than IKEA-genre stuff. The bathroom is perfect. Unlike other travellors I had no problems with WiFi in my room.
On the day of my arrival I met the owner (or someone responsible for the reception). He was very nice and gave me some good advices about restaurants in Rome. I would especially recommend Tempio di Mecenate in via Merulana which is about 7 minutes from the B&B. A large sym supermarket is in the building just to the left of the B&B.
It was one of the best B&Bs I ever stayed and I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank cigalle
Atlanta, GA
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Only 4 blocks away from the main train terminal, this bed & breakfast offers 3 or 4 rooms on a flat. I was given the first room on the right, which has a giant bathroom and a great view to the church across the street. The room was very clean and spacious. Modest decoration and tall ceilings, and a lovely sitting area with 2 chairs and a little table by the window where you could enjoy breakfast or write a letter (or simply day dream about Rome!)

Breakfast offered a variety of packaged pastries, cereal, fresh fruits and coffee/tea. Really nothing to write home about, but it was enough for me to start my day. Kitchen is small but well equipped, and the breakfast table is the best spot for your wi-fi access (I could barely load webpages from my room, but had no problem once I moved closer to the router, which is kept next to the kitchen)

The inn keeper was very friendly. Didn't speak any English (and I don't speak much Italian) but thankfully we found some common ground in Spanish, my first language. ;-) As other reviewers have already said, there is not a permanent resident in the house to assist with questions. Once the inn keeper leaves you are on your own, but I enjoyed this freedom and wouldn't consider it a con. I was the only guest that night and had the whole flat to myself! I had originally paid for a different room and was upgraded to a bigger one at no extra charge.

The only thing I was disappointed about was the fact that they don't take credit cards. I made my reservation online but then had to pay cash (I guess I misunderstood the info. about method of payment, thankfully I had enough cash with me to seal the deal.)

The other observation would be to study your map very well before you try to find this place. As pointed out in other reviews, the main entrance of this place is rather hidden, and there are no visible signs that indicate that you have the right place. To make things worse, the street where they are located only runs ONE block, which means you go back and forth, from corner to corner, looking at the names of the streets and wondering where is the block you are looking for. To make your life easier, simply find the Basilica of Saint Mary Major (the first important tourist attraction between the central station Roma Termini and the Colosseum) and the road you are looking for would be on the right hand side, when facing the church (east side), right next to the cafe in the corner of Esquilino and Vincenzo Gioberti.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the road may be a little bit noisy due to heavy traffic; however their windows seem to...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank solcito_cr
Herceg-Novi, Montenegro
Reviewed 11 December 2012

I've stayed two nights with my friend. Had no trouble finding the place (3 min. fm Termini),and the owner was waiting for me. Good communication with Mr Stefano prior the arrival,with all necessary info and directions rcvd. Very tidy place and very well warmed as outside was freezing weather(!).
If available next time I'm coming back here for sure.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 21 August 2012

The B&B is 5 mins from Roma Termini and very well located. The owner met us at the B&B and showed us around the place and told us how to get around rome (we didnt see her anymore for the next 5 days that we were there). One needs to make the payment in cash upfront and leave the keys at the desk while leaving.
Our room was very spacious and very well laid out. There is no ac in the room but they had provided us a fan instead. our room was facing the main road so when we shut the windows to block out the noises it did become a little stuffy with just the fan.
They had a separate breakfast section which we picked up quite a few croissants and fruits. They also had some cereal and milk. The mini bar was stocked with small juice packets and water which was complimentary.
We had a great time at this B&B and enjoyed ourselves. Would definitely recommend it to others who are traveling to Rome and wish to stay close to Roma Termini.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
bebmaior, Proprietario at Maior, responded to this review, 16 February 2015
Thank you so much for compliments. We are so happy for your good stay!
Now we have air conditioned in every room and in common space.
Bye :)
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Great property in the heart of the city - very conveniently located. Lovely spacious room and bath (none of our other 3 hotels in Europe topped this!). Good selection of breakfast items and well stocked mini bar as well. Will recommend to others and plan to return ourselves!
However, the road next to the room was very noisy and we were forced to close the windows to reduce the noice which made the room quite stuffy at night.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a window to the courtyard not the road
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kraaash
bebmaior, Proprietario at Maior, responded to this review, 16 February 2015
Thank you so much! We are happy for your good stay in Rome.
Now we have air conditioned in every room and in common space.
So if you like, you can close windows and have silence and fresh.
Bye