“Don't go there”

Add it.
Ristorante I Preistorici
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: It's near the Metro b stop 'Bologna'
Rome, Italy
“Don't go there”
Reviewed 23 November 2011

There are many better places in Piazza Bologna. If you don' want to wait, and wait and wait... Don't go there! Food isn't so bad, but the waiters forget everything, sometimes the cakes aren't fresh, pizza sometimes is good, sometimes not. The general impression is that there aren't professionals working there.

• Visited October 2011

Glasgow
“Good food at reasonable prices but service is unacceptable”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

During a weeks stay in Rome we were delighted to stumble upon this place which was open until midnight and is really nice inside. The menu has English translation which was very useful and the staff speak a little English but not fluently, not that I expect people in other countries to speak English.

The first time we visited our order was taken fairly quickly and we were served drinks quickly too however we must have waited around 40 minutes for the food to arrive which was only a pizza and a very basic spaghetti. Looking around we saw a few other tables had been waiting for very long periods too so we were not too concerned and thought it was maybe how things are done in Italy. My spaghetti then arrived but after a while my partners pizza was still missing and I thought I'd better start mine before it got cold. I was half way through my meal when the pizza finally turned up. It wasn't a huge problem but would have been nice to get our meals together.

Despite this, the food was good, the prices reasonable and it was close to where we were staying so we decided to try it a second time. This time the restuarant was a lot busier and our service was very unacceptable. Firstly we waited a long time to have our order taken (not a major issue but we were hungry), we ordered a beer each, a bottle of water and 2 pizzas. The waiter asked if we wanted fizzy or still water and we asked for still. Shortly the water arrived and it was fizzy which we are not keen on but accepted it as maybe a language problem. Our pizzas arrived very quickly, 10 - 15 mins and there was no problem with them but still no beers had arrived. We had eaten quite a lot of pizza before the waiter was near our end of the restaurant again and we asked for the beers, he said sorry and that he'd forgot and brought them over quickly. By this point we were starting to doubt how good this place was. Our pizza plates were removed but we were not asked if we wanted any more food and were just left there for what seemed like ages before the waiter came near enough for us to flag him down and ask for dessert. We ordered an ice-cream and a tiramisu and 2 coffees. Again a massive wait, we were getting really pissed off then another waiter came near and asked if we were ok, we told him we were waiting for our desserts. Shortly after this the original waiter came over and asked us what desserts we wanted. I then had to explain that he had already taken our order. Not so long after that the dessert turned up, the ice-cream was not the flavour I'd asked for but after already sitting for 2 hours in the place I just ate it so that we could get away sooner. We had no hope for the coffees coming but then only one arrived. The waiter never returned with the other and was never near us again for me to ask for milk so I drank it black when I would have preferred white.

All in all, we had asked for water, beers, pizzas, desserts and coffees and out of those 5 things they got 1 correct and the whole experience took well over 2 hours. If I hadn't have been a foreigner I'd have definitely complained at the time but I was put off by the language barrier and put it down to foreign experiences.

To give an idea of the price the bill came to 31.50 euros which was very cheap really. If you have a long time to wait for your food and can speak the language enough to raise any issues then it is worth going to but otherwise I'd leave it to the locals.

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank Kittoid
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Great Pizza”
Reviewed 3 August 2011

Fantastic pizza, good atmosphere, friendly staff and looked to be frequented by locals. Price reasonable for Rome. Would definitely eat there again.

• Visited July 2011