“Great addition to our go-to Rome spots”

Hotel Metropolis - Chateaux & Hotels Collection
Ranked #255 of 1,269 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 1 July 2013

On our latest trip to Italy, we spent a lot of time in Rome (about two months) and apartment-hopped for the most part. We did spend a weekend in the Hotel Metropolis while we were in between accommodations and we were really happy with our choice. We wanted to stay out of the main tourist fray and thought the Prati neighborhood was perfect. We had walked through the neighborhood previously and kept it in mind for future reference. The hotel's restaurant was great and the staff at the hotel was fantastic. The room was very cool--a good size and the furnishings were super modern. We didn't spring for a Jacuzzi room but we peeked into one and it was very cool! The breakfast downstairs was great--standard options, but quality was good. I loved the modern design, very Italian. We loved the Hotel Metropolis's proximity to the Tiber River--great for people watching--and we loved the easy access to Piazza del Popolo. We had already been to the Vatican and with all of the pope hubub we didn't really want to venture back over there, but for those visitors who want a hotel close to the Vatican (especially first-timers), I would say HM is a great choice. Very close and convenient for those early wake-up calls to go stand in line for the museum. We really enjoyed our stay at Hotel Metropolis--it fit in perfectly with the rest of our Rome trip!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 26 June 2013

Hotel Metropolis Rome was the second destination on my new husband and I's honeymoon-trip. Believe me, we did an AWFUL lot of searching to find the fanciest "best bang for the back" hotels. The hotel itself was extremely beautiful, and there was lots of historical architecture yet still remains fresh and modern. The whole place was honestly like 1 big piece of artwork. As a graphic designer, these things are important to me.

The rooms were extremely spacious, and It felt more like living in a small house vs a hotel room. The jacuzzi was used frequently. Very frequently.

The staff was really nice and helpful. I get kind of lost easily, and they made sure we got to the right place. (This is why I'm not the one that drives!)

Outside the hotel, the entire city and surrounding area was lovely. The Prati neighborhood had lots of stores for shopping, many restaurants to try... The local people seemed very happy and polite to tourists! I'd love to come back!

It's pretty close to some major attractions, like St. Peter's, Vatican City, the Spanish Steps, Piazza del Popolo, and many many more. The bus system made it a snap to get to all these places. It felt like an adventure, there was so much stuff to explore. I come from a small town, so it was really exciting.

I hope to visit again the future, it was definitely something I will remember for a looooong time!

Room Tip: Ive only stayed once, so i cant say which is better than another!
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stayed here for two days in June and was not satisfied by the experience. I will give credit to the hotel for the proximity to the Vatican sites and the metro. This is obviously helpful for exploring the city. I have stayed in very nice trendy, chic budget hotels in other places before, but the Metropolis Hotel left much to be desired when compared to my previous experiences. We were given a room with NO window (a covered skylight let in a sliver of light) that was very claustrophobic. I could hardly sit in the room for more than a half hour. It felt like I was on the inside level of a cruise ship or something. The pictures that are posted by the hotel do not accurately represent these rooms with no window but they really are horrible and I do recommend getting a guarantee of a room with a window before booking a stay here. I also found the customer service reaction to my request about a room with a window to be very rude - almost as if I should have known that the room would have no window. The room was also very small, although I expect this for a budget hotel of this type. The bathtub setup is also very weird - there is a small plastic pane that blocks only half of the bathtub so all of the water spills out and makes the floor of the bathroom very wet when taking a shower (see pic). This seems to be something common in Italian hotels but I found it very annoying. The breakfast was mediocre at best and you could probably do better grabbing a coffee and pastry from an outside place.

Room Tip: Do not get a room without a window. It is very claustrophobic.
3  Thank Raj B
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This small hotel is well situated close to the Vatican City and the shopping .Metro station and bus stops close by for traveling around the city but no more than 10 minute brisk walk to the Vatican City. We booked a suite which had a Jacuzzi bath in the room lovely and spacious and the bed was very comfortable all very clean. My only complaint would be the early morning noise form the traffic outside they start early so being on the corner it could be heard. Breakfast was excellent with a good choice.

Reviewed 18 June 2013

A good hotel with great rooms and a super breakfast! the reception people where all so helpful. always kept suggesting good restaurants and good bars i could visit. Ive been 3 times to this hotel when i go to business trips to rome and ill definately be there again!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank SalibaD
Reviewed 7 June 2013

We stayed in Hotel Metropolis in April 2013 and everything was excellent. In a quiet residential area, 15-20 min walk to the Vatican. There are a couple of restaurants and cafeterias just around the corner. The hotel was very clean and modern, with free fast wifi. Although the rooms are small, they are designed in such way that you don't feel cramped. We had a big window overlooking a common space, seemed like a play area and a parking lot among buildings but it was beautiful with lots of plants and very quiet. You could feel the atmosphere of Rome as a local.
Breakfast was very good and what really surprised us was that 2 of the mornings we needed to sleep more, so we decided to skip breakfast that is until 10.30; when I called room service about 11.30-12.00 and ordered 2 cappuccinos they brought them within minutes and told us that they won't charge us for the coffees because we missed our breakfast. The waiter also asked us if we want him to bring us some pastries or go to the nearby cafeteria and get us something for breakfast as the first day we didn't know where the the cafeteria was! Very polite and helpful, first time ever!!! We will definitely stay there again in our next visit!

Room Tip: We requested a smoking room as the hotel asks you to smoke near the window. Other rooms have skyligh...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Finding a room in rome was proving a problem as very busy no availiablity or very expensive, so found Metropolis on website a little way from centre around 30-40 mins walk or around the corner a metro station to take you in to town the walking was a good chance to see everything same side of the river as the Vatican so approx 15 walk to the museum, the hotel is set on the corner of two two avenues so quite easy to find we took the metro from the main rail terminus and four stops later came out to a 5 min walk to hotel a quick checkin and we went to our room I booked a suite which had a jacuzzi bath in the room lovely and spacious bed was very comfortable all very clean and the maids were always friendly in the morning, breakfast was more than enough for both of us and the staff were vere helpful with any additional requests, my only complaint would be the early morning noise form the traffic outside they start early so being on the corner it could be heard but other than that a lovely little find more than happy to stay there again

Room Tip: we stayed on the third floor building corner not sure on the other side but may be quieter from road...