“Avoid” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #825 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Oak Creek, Wisconsin
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2013

Spent 4 nights here July 2011 at the end of a 2 week trip to Italy. This was by far our worst room of the trip even though it was the most expensive. Room was musty, dingy and in disrepair (you could see into the hallway through gaps around the door). Staff was only mildly interested in making sure we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dhaulagiri247

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Turkish first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

the location is outstanding - near everything you want to see. walking distance to most sights including the vatican. excellent staff - both carlo and narco were friendly and very helpful. rooms are a bit small - but why are you spending time in your room? your in rome!! trevi fountain, spanish steps, pantheon all just steps away. excellent restaurants around every corner. you couldn't ask for more for the proce.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travis s
Poland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

This small Hotel is located in best arrondisement in Rome. When you go out, you are just near the Spanish and Pantheon and Via Del Corso and ... Capitol etc. Everywhere you can reach without using a communitation if you are just a bit "city-hiker".
In the hotel there is always some staff ready to help you, answering your questions (in english also) etc.
There is AC and you can really rest after long walking on the Rome's streets (especially in the summer days). Breakfast is fair with italian style. Bathroom was quiet small, but clean and towels changed every day. We stayed 5 days and never got any problem with the hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank karthaus
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Do not judge this book by its cover ! location is excellent easy walk to Trevi,Span steps, Pantheon short walk to the Corso (maybe best shopping in Europe). Resturaunts around every corner that serve authentic food. Hotel staff are well above average and only too happy to help out. Rooms are a little small, however we started to call it home. Breakfast every morning was fresh and enjoyable. Internet available and private. Important to have card with address on it if catching a taxi, as it is in a older district. We had 2 rooms June 2012 and will go back to stay next time in Rome.
Clark Australia

Room Tip: all rooms are good
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

The location is great since its only about a ten minute walk from the Spanish Steps. However, the hotel is pretty basic, and the room that we stayed in did not appear to reflect the pictures on the web. The room was on the smaller side and did not have a lot of lighting. Also, the bathroom was quite small, but clean, which is the most important thing. Breakfast is very basic, and consists of rolls and other pre-packaged items.

We mainly stayed here because the price was reasonable for the area, and in a good location. If we had to do it again, I probably would have chosen to stay in another location for a slightly better room.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Bemmybear
Naperville, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

I booked Hotel 939 because of my Rick Steve's book (I use his books for all my European destinations). I have already posted a comment on his website that this hotel needs to be taken out of his book. My wife and I are frequent travelers to Europe and are in our twenties, we usually book basic hotels for a good price.

I never interacted with Aurora, who RS and another review commented on, I wish I had. The two staff member I dealt with with like night and day. One gentleman, Italian, was very nice, did not speak very much English, but that is no problem (we were in Italy after all). But the guy that I saw the most, Indian, was so shady and everything seemed like he was trying to scam my wife and I. Just like another reviewer on here, he insisted that I had to pay for my room the night before checkout, even though my email confirmation from 939 and their website say differently.

The worst part was the same guy that made us pay early told us we would only be able to stay there for 3 of the 4 nights we had booked. As we checked in, he told us that we will have to stay at another hotel (they would tell us which one) on the third night, because they did not have enough rooms. Are you kidding me? I just walked in here, after walking around for 30 min in Roman heat after 16 hours of traveling, jet lagged and now you are telling me that the hotel I booked four months ago does not have a room for me on the third night of a four night booking? We ended up not having to switch hotels, but it may have been a blessing.

The bed was two doubles pushed together, typical for Europe, but where the beds touched it was higher and both angled down. I had a sore back every morning because I have to hold myself towards the middle so I would not slide off. Worst bed in Italy. Also, the ceiling lights did not work, front desk said he'd fix it, never happened.

I will also post this same review under Hotel Marcus, because they are one in the same. My RS books said 939 had recently renovated rooms and that is the one I booked with. Yet, my key said "Marcus" and the room was in shambles, it had not been renovated.

Location is good, but if I had to do it over, I'd pay more for a better place and stay one less night in Rome. This is the worst hotel I have ever stayed in, in any country at any price range.

Room Tip: To get the best room, do not book it at this hotel. Book it almost anywhere else.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
12 Thank Traveling-Illini4

Travellers are raving about these Rome hotels