“Horrible service, disgusting toilets and expensive”

Caffe e Pasticceria U. Giuliani
Ranked #231 of 250 Coffee & Tea in Rome
Price range: US$9 - US$35
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Esquilino
Reviewed 7 July 2014

From outside this looked like a cosy café - so we went inside to have a quick cappuccino and pastry. We thought it was the kind of place where you order, pay, get your stuff on a tray and then sit down, but it was a place where you order from a waiter so we were asked to sit down.

The waiter came right away and we placed our order. The place looks nice and cosy from inside and pastry looks nice. While waiting, I went to the toilet downstairs. There were 2 toilets, both with wet floor. In one of the toilets, water was dropping from the roof. Probably a month since the place was last cleaned (sic!). Horrible smell. No paper or towels, no soap. I think I've never seen a dirtier toilet. Seriously.

The table next to us, a US couple had ordered some pasta. They got their food, but sent it out directly because it was cold. When they got it back, the left right away without eating - making puking faces to us to indicate how messy the place was.

Our cappuccinos were really boring and the pastry was dry. Tiramisu was a shame to all of Italy, not nearby how it should be.

When leaving, you were supposed to pay at the desk by the door. When we left, 5 tables were in line and we had to wait 15 minutes cause everyone had complaints. So did we. Cappuccinos were 5 Euros each, which is about double price compared to the excellent cappuccinos we had at other places.

We wouldn't recommend this place to our worst enemies.

1  Thank Mattias H

Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This place was awful! We needed to eat quickly on our way to the bus station. This is across the street. Food was terrible and too expensive. Only bad food we've had in Rome.

1  Thank Karendotty
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Beware of this place. At the coffee bar, I wanted to buy a cannoli for 2.50 euro, plus an espresso for 2.00 euro. "Sit," the man fixing my coffee said, "and I'll bring it you."
He then charged me double the price for each and when I questioned it, the woman who appeared to be in charge, began yelling and said she was calling the police.
When I paid the bill, she gave me a receipt that showed me paying 4.00 euro less than I actually paid.

2  Thank Liminosity
Reviewed 7 April 2014

The service was terrible, prices are incredibly high for what you get. If you don't want to ruin your day stay away from this place

Reviewed 5 April 2014

Went to this restaurant today and we were disgusted. Expensive, pizza very ordinary. Very rude man "flicked" us to a seat and then we eventually had to ask if it was table service because no one came near us. The toilets were the worst I have seen in a restaurant for a long time - no paper, no soap and filthy. And when I complained was told that it was like that because "boys" use it.