“Horrible rip off”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Esquilino
Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

This is a place to avoid! Expensive, double price as elsewhere and just not even average. They tried to doubled the numbers of coffee and grappa at the first bill!
This is a genuine rip off place!!

1  Thank CarlVik
There are newer reviews for Caffe e Pasticceria U. Giuliani

Reviewed 7 July 2014

When trying to order our starters the waiter refused to serve us and instead pointed to he main section of the menu and insisted we only order from there.

I had a spaghetti whilst my aunt had lasagne. The food was tasty but served in horrible cheap bowls and clearly microwaved.

It was clear that the server did not want us to spend any time in the restaurant..

Very disappointed and will not be going back!

2  Thank Zara E
Reviewed 7 July 2014

From outside this looked like a cosy café - so we went inside to have a quick cappuccino and pastry. We thought it was the kind of place where you order, pay, get your stuff on a tray and then sit down, but it was a place where you order from a waiter so we were asked to sit down.

The waiter came right away and we placed our order. The place looks nice and cosy from inside and pastry looks nice. While waiting, I went to the toilet downstairs. There were 2 toilets, both with wet floor. In one of the toilets, water was dropping from the roof. Probably a month since the place was last cleaned (sic!). Horrible smell. No paper or towels, no soap. I think I've never seen a dirtier toilet. Seriously.

The table next to us, a US couple had ordered some pasta. They got their food, but sent it out directly because it was cold. When they got it back, the left right away without eating - making puking faces to us to indicate how messy the place was.

Our cappuccinos were really boring and the pastry was dry. Tiramisu was a shame to all of Italy, not nearby how it should be.

When leaving, you were supposed to pay at the desk by the door. When we left, 5 tables were in line and we had to wait 15 minutes cause everyone had complaints. So did we. Cappuccinos were 5 Euros each, which is about double price compared to the excellent cappuccinos we had at other places.

We wouldn't recommend this place to our worst enemies.

1  Thank Mattias H
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

This place was awful! We needed to eat quickly on our way to the bus station. This is across the street. Food was terrible and too expensive. Only bad food we've had in Rome.

1  Thank Karendotty
Reviewed 25 April 2014 via mobile

Beware of this place. At the coffee bar, I wanted to buy a cannoli for 2.50 euro, plus an espresso for 2.00 euro. "Sit," the man fixing my coffee said, "and I'll bring it you."
He then charged me double the price for each and when I questioned it, the woman who appeared to be in charge, began yelling and said she was calling the police.
When I paid the bill, she gave me a receipt that showed me paying 4.00 euro less than I actually paid.

2  Thank Liminosity

Been to Caffe e Pasticceria U. Giuliani? Share your experiences!