“Stunning hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

B&B Second Floor
Ranked #420 of 3,734 Rome B&B and Inns
“Stunning hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

We were met at reception by Alex who was extremely friendly and efficient. We were then checked into the Michelangelo room which was... Stunningly well designed and decorated. The hotel is situated about 50 meters from the coliseum and we could see it clearly from our window. Large, breezy and bright room which had a fantastic en suite . Set in the heart of the gay district this is an absolute joy regardless of whether you are gay or straight. It's been a fantastic experience.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here on a two night stay in Rome. Alex was super friendly and made us feel welcome right away. The B&B also has an excellent restaurant and bar on the street level. The food was so good that we ended up eating most meals there. You must try the figs, sundried tomatoes, lettuce, and cottage cheese salad. The one waiter, Sole, served us many times. He was very friendly and entertaining. The restaurant and bar’s prices are very reasonable for food and drinks. We will definitely come back and visit again. We also met a number of other guests, which made the stay even more special. The B&B is literally across the street from the Coliseum. The Colosseo Metro stop is one block away, which makes transport very convenient.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Terry H
West Hollywood, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2013

OK, if you have ever lost your passport while abroad you know how scary it can be. Well, it happened to me just a few days ago. Thankfully I was staying at the 2nd Floor. Alex, who works at the hotel told me I needed to go to the police station and write up some paper-work before going to the Embassy. She told me she would help me with this process. Then, the owner, Annalisa heard about me loosing my passport and gave me a ride in her car to the police station and went into the station with me to help me fill out the paperwork. Alex called the American Embassy in the next city, Florence, that I would be traveling to as well to make sure that I could get in and receive my new passport. This experience was NOT great service. This is out of the service scope. This was all GENUINE KINDNESS.

Now, for the review of the service and the room:
We stayed on the 1st floor (new rooms). The room itself is very modern and beautiful. The only downside is that there is not really a table to write on. There is a ledge with seat under it, but it is very small. All in all, the room is 99% out of 100%. The sheets were great. The furniture was beautiful. The celling is AMAZING (all old exposed wood). The lighting is an 11 out of 10, really. There is LED lights under every wall, plus other creative lighting touches everywhere. Oh, and to top this room off, there is a view of the Colosseo!!!!!!!

The hotel is on top of a restaurant and bar. It can get a little loud at night. For some, they may not like that. For my partner and I, it was a plus. We can go party, then go straight up to our room to sleep.

I can't say enough about the hotel, the restaurant/bar downstairs, OR the CRAZY NICE kindness they showed when they went above and beyond as they helped me with my lost passport. This is my third time to Italy. Although I will stay in other hotels for future trips in other cities, I will ONLY stay at this hotel when in Rome.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank artwithdino
Canberra, ACT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

as another reviewer has already written on here, '2nd floor, 1st choice'. An elevator would be helpful for those of us lugging large luggage, but that would be my only 'complaint' nd not really an issue that the hotel can resolve in a large, older, multi-tenanted building! My emails to the hotel pre-stay were always promptly (and politely) responded to, and upon arrival (outside reception hours), the staff at the cafe downstairs (where breakfast is also provided) were only too happy to help me with checking in. The room itself was very clean and comfortable and the small balcony a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle. And what a location for the hotel ! Hard to tire of the Colloseum as your view while eating breakfast ! The breakfast itself was 'patchy' (but always adequate) depending on who was working at the time, but excellent coffee and very charming service :) I was sincerely sad to leave this hotel and move on to my next destination.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank dallachy
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

2nd FLOOR … 1st CHOICE … !!!

Be ready for a review of superlative compliments only, for how can one ever find a better place to stay in Rome than at 2nd Floor …!

RESERVATION.
It all starts with the reservation procedure. Email messages. Phone calls. Always a reply in a friendly tone. And the reservation itself just efficient.

ARRIVAL.
The next step is the arrival. I was tremendously delayed in the airport, but I didn’t need to worry at all about the airport shuttle, which was booked for me by 2nd Floor, who now took care for it that the driver waited for me.

RECEPTION.
It is at arrival that I met 2nd Floor receptionist Gabriele, just substituting at the time, but boy … he was running the stairs up and down to catch me up, carrying my suitcase to … yes: the second floor! Smooth check in procedure. The room (I stayed in Decolte) is simple and nicely decorated, very comfortable and … it has a little cute balcony! Gabriele has been around during my entire four days stay. It was a pleasure. Always smiling, always in a good mood, always helpful.

LOCATION.
Just a single minute walking distance from the Colosseo. Well, do I need to say more …! For the ones who are not familiar with Rome: just next to the Colosseo is the historical open air museum Foro Romano that takes you to Piazza Venezia with its sparkling white Vittoriano. I just cannot think of a better location. Moreover, just across from 2nd Floor is a park on a hill.

RESTAURANT.
That park treats you on a peaceful view that you can enjoy when having breakfast, which is served downstairs at restaurant Coming Out. “Tell me everything” is the one liner of a cheerful guy welcoming you at your first meal of the day. His words are still on my mind … Handsome guys, no nonsense service. Breakfast, lunch, dinner and drinks. Great food, small prices!

All over I can say that my stay at 2nd Floor felt like a warm eiderdown. Together with the overwhelming historical beauty that Rome has to offer, 2nd Floor is certainly a reason for me to come back …!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
Vienna, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2013

This modern room in an ancient building next to the Colosium is the perfect location for your visit to Rome. Lots of water pressure, comfortable bed, A/C. No English on the TV :-), but good WIFI. Dominic at the Coming Out Bar is so friendly, and beautiful, and makes great coffee! We loved our stay.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Kobedog703
Seville, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2012

This is a gay boutique hotel about 200 m from the Colosseum in Rome, a Metro stop, and at the center of Gay Rome. The location couldn't be better The rooms are nice and spacious, well appointed. Despite being on Gay Street in Rome, with large drinking crowds at night, the room is quiet even with the windows open. Breakfast was at the Coming Out gay bar on the ground floor, and it was satisfactory.

Two minor problems: Water pressure, especially in the shower, is very low and inadequate if one person uses the sink while the other showers. As far as we could determine the coldest setting for the airconditioning was 24.5 which is warmer than we found comfortable for sleeping. However, we solved that by sleeping with the balcony door open. These two problems are the only reason why service and value were rated only good. When fixed it would warrant excellent on all counts.

Room Tip: To gain admittance when you check in, go to the Coming Out Bar on the street level, as most of the t...