“Vatican view was awesome”
Review of Vatican View

Vatican View
Ranked #37 of 1,257 Hotels in Rome
“Vatican view was awesome”
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Vatican View was difficult to recognize at first, but the cab driver knew where to go. We were welcomed by friendly English speaking Daniel & Allesandra. After check in Daniel took our luggage 8 steps to the elevator and showed us to our very modern and comfortable room. As a middle aged couple we were pleasantly surprised. Location was perfect . So close to The Vatican & St Peter's Square. We did a tour of The Vatican and were able to walk to the meeting point. Also walking distance from great shopping and many many sidewalk bars and restaurants. We walked to the sightseeing "hop on hop off" bus stop at St Peter's Square and were able to go all over town, see what we wanted and get dropped off back near our hotel. We spent one evening in the rooftop lounge which was very pleasant, with special attention from Daniel. Fabio was very helpful in printing off our vouchers & making phone calls to Italian speaking tour organizers for us. All in all a very personal friendly stay that we recommend highly and will remember for a lifetime. Thanks guys it was awesome.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
vaticanview, Receptionist at Vatican View, responded to this review, 15 August 2012
Dear Jan,
Thank you for your fantastic review!
"All in all a very personal friendly stay that we recommend highly and will remember for a lifetime".. sweet words.
Come back soon!
Regards,
Alessandra.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 17 June 2012

This is not a hotel. It is a building with 15 rooms for rent with a laminated paper sign that actually said "Rooms for rent." The reception area was the wine shop next door. This "hotel" was a joke. The AC was broken. And there was no view of the Vatican.

• Stayed June 2012
7 Thank TwinSistah
Dear TwinSistah,
The Relais Vatican View is a little Hotel but good things come in a small sizes. When you enter in our reception, you can find a little magic world to enjoy your stay.
Every day we try to do our best to make special your holiday thanks to our rooms with kit for breakfast including, our kind staff and our terrace where you can see the Vatican. Sometimes we fail in it for technical problems like your air-conditioned, but we try to solve it ASAP.
I’m really sorry for the inconvenience during your stay and I would like to rectify with an invitation to stay again at our hotel where, personally, I will make sure that everything goes according to your needs.
Please contact me as soon as possible. I care very much!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 June 2012 via mobile

My partner and I stayed at the Relais Vatican View for three nights at the beginning of June and had a great time at this hotel. The location is literally right next to St. Peter's square so perfect for exploring Vatican City. It's 10 minutes' walk to the nearest Metro station (Ottaviano) and about 15 minutes' walk to the cool neighborhood of Trastevere in the southwest of the city.

We stayed in the Double Room, which is the cheapest room offered. The room was definitely small, typical of European city hotels, but all of the hotel was clean and tidy with funky modern finishings. Maid service daily; coffee, tea, croissants and water are all included as standard - which was a nice touch - and bottles of wine are in the room for purchase. The roof deck is really cool with great views over the city and comfy seats to chill out with a book and a drink while the sun sets over this amazing city.

Reception is in the building next-door to the hotel and the staff were very helpful and friendly. LGBT-friendly and they didn't blink an eye when my boyfriend and I were checking in. Would definitely recommend for couples who are staying for a few days in the city and want to be well positioned to view the main sites.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Dtridley,
Thank you for your nice review.
We're happy to read that your stay was good. We hope to see you soon!
Also, I promise you a big room for the next time!
Regards,
Hong Kong
Reviewed 4 June 2012

I went to Italy in mid May. I wanted to stay close to Vatican as it was a semi-pilgrimage trip for us. At the beginning, I struggled if I should choose Visconti Palace or Vatican View (a proper hotel vs an apartment type hotel). I chose Vatican View at the end after reading good reviews from Tripadvisor.
This is probably the longest review I wrote because I don't think the hotel is as good as what other reviewers commented.
The positives: 1) right next to Vatican 2) Super friendly and helpful staff.
The negatives: I was disappointed with the rooms and housekeeping of the hotel. Vatican View is not really a 4 star hotel. There is no proper entrance and lobby. The check-in was done in a small shop next door. I picked a Suite for the 3 of us because I wanted my parents to be more comfortable in a spacious room, but the room is not really a Suite. It is just a bigger room with a small washroom. The Suite in other hotels in Rome come with a living room + bedroom and a lot bigger. I was not happy with it and discussed with the hotel staff. I was trying to cancel and move to another hotel, but because I had to pay cancellation penalty I decided to stay. It was very nice of them to offer me 2 connecting rooms so I could have my own room. Although more spacious, we found that the rooms were quite dirty. It was dusty everywhere. We tried boiling water with 3 kettles and all of them were filled with dust. The boiled water had strong soapy smell for some reason (the smell of their hand soap....). The smell didn't go away even after 3 boils and we gave up. This is quite disgusting. I saw dirty marks inside the kettle, so I tried cleaning it with one of the towels. It was SO dirty! The towel had big black mark from rubbing the kettle!! I left my dirty towel next to the sink, hoping the housekeeping person would change them. But he didn't. None of the towels were changed during our stay for 4 nights. He just hung them back up the rack. I didn't notice until I used it to dry my hair and saw the black dirty mark from cleaning the kettle. Very disgusting!
The hotel does not offer any breakfast as they don't have any restaurant. This is fine, but for the price we paid (on average more than EUR 350 per night - very expensive), we could have stayed in a proper 4 star hotel at a cheaper price with proper breakfast and clean rooms. We checked the rooms in Visconti Palace and their Junior Suite was huge and beautiful for less than EUR 320 per night with a living room + bedroom.

The hotel staff were very friendly and helpful, especially Fabio and Alessandra. They were trying their best to help, but I understand there is nothing much they could do because it is not really their problem (esp they have already upgraded our rooms). Fabio was sincere and nice to hear my feedback when we checked-out, and I hope they could really look into improving the housekeeping of the hotel. My suggestion is that, if you are just staying for one night and want something very close to Vatican (esp for special events in Vatican), that's fine but watch out for the price.

P.S. The Bar Cafe next to the hotel was really bad. The pizza was basically not edible.

Room Tip: Expensive rooms but dirty and without proper hotel amenities and housekeeping standard
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank lawi
Dear Lawi,
I'm sure that your next stay will be fantastic!
Please contact me as soon as possible. I care very much!
Brea, California, United States
Reviewed 27 May 2012

A small but wonderful hotel that is maybe a 5 minute walk to the Vatican. Very friendly, helpful staff and plenty of small restaurants within a 2 block area. 10 steps out the door and you can have an early morning cappuccino and pastry. Our bathroom was huge, bedroom was small but very comfortable bed and closet space. The patio on the roof was wonderful as the evenings were warm and this was our little escape place for a rest after a busy sightseeing day. Bring a bottle of wine, some amazing Italian bread and cheese and you are in heaven. Loved it!

Room Tip: If you reserve early, ask for a room away from the street. We actually enjoyed the music and just p...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
vaticanview, Receptionist at Vatican View, responded to this review, 18 December 2012
Dear Patty,
Thanks for the review.
Relais Vatican View is like good wine .. is located in a small barrel but it is fabulous! We are happy to know that he liked everything! Next time we will give you a bigger room to make your stay even more enjoyable.
Thank you and see you soon.
Colorado
Reviewed 26 May 2012

We spent seven nights at the Vatican View this month, along with friends. We arrived tired from a red-eye flight and had no difficulty finding the hotel. Check-in is next door to the hotel,but the great staff, Fabio, Alessandra, Daniel and Francesca keep a sharp eye out arriving guests. Our rooms were all ready for check- in and we were able to throw our bags in our rooms and get to St Peter's Square to see the Pope. Unlike the previous reviewer, we did find some decent restaurants in the area (with a little help from Rick Steves). Our rooms were clean and updated. The elevator is small but we just took turns. The roof garden was great. The staff and location of this hotel are great. We'll return.

Room Tip: We were in 314, whichhas a sofa sleeper if you ate traveling with family.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Kawback,
Thank you for the wonderful review and for your stay.
We are pleased to read these wonderful words about us.
We hope to see you soon because we miss you!
Regarding the elevator .. we will try to improve it! ;)