“A Fantastic Apartment near San Giovanni”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Vetusta Roma

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Excellent
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

German first
Any
AussiesTo...
Sydney
“A Fantastic Apartment near San Giovanni”
Reviewed 24 May 2012 for a stay in May 2012

This was by far the best apartment we rented during our 3 weeks in Italy.
The apartment itself was spotlessly clean, bathroom HUGE and once the water got hot the shower was fine. Bedrooms and sitting room comfy, big and bright - the shutters were necessary for the traffic. We called the sirens "the Italy Concerto". The kitchen was stocked with everything u could possible need including supplies you could purchase and a very generous amount of fruit, bicuits, tea coffee etc for free.
Yes you had to walk up 3 flights of stairs but they are not huge steps. We (two 50+ ladies)managed to carry our bags down OK just going slowly. The reward of returning to this apartment at the end of the day was worth the effort of the stairs.
The owners could not have been more helpful. I can not speak highly enought of them and there efforts to make us feel at home. Maps, resturant recommendations, mobilephone all explained. The WIFI worked brillantly throughout the apartment.
A big Thank you to Mauro & Family

Rochester, United Kingdom
“Tutto Perfetto!”
Reviewed 17 April 2012 for a stay in April 2012
person found this review helpful

We stayed in three apartments during our week in Italy but Vetusta Roma was by far the most welcoming.

Although I was initially worried about the location, I was so pleased that we decided to stay here. It’s about a 10 - 15 minute walk to the Coliseum and is on the bus routes. We had terrible weather during our stay so the buses were really handy with the bus stop right outside the apartment. You can buy the tickets just round the corner at the newspaper stand.

The apartment is on the third floor and because of high ceilings that means 6 flights of stairs…so be warned if you are taking your grandmother like I did.

We were met by Mauro and his wife who were so friendly and welcoming. They explained everything very clearly and made sure we understood the bus routes and how to get to the main attractions.

The apartment was spotless and our early check in was generously accommodated. Our group consisted of me and partner, two large teenage boys and my grandmother. Although it was cosy, there was enough space for everyone. The bathroom is huge and the pictures don’t do it justice.

The bedrooms were very comfortable and so were the sofa bed and camp beds.

There were plenty of supplies in the cupboards like washing powder, coffee, pasta etc and the fridge is stocked with drinks for you to purchase which was a nice touch. Mr and Mrs Di Nicola also provide fruit, coffee, tea, sugar and biscuits for free for their guests so you can have a drink and snack when you arrive.

I loved the area as I felt like we were the only tourists for miles around. It felt so authentic and I especially loved the shops opposite the apartment. There is a little shop with most items like bread, eggs, milk, cheese and meat, there is also a bakery / bar where the drinks were incredibly cheap. There are lots of shops and eateries in the area and Mauro recommended a couple of good restaurants. The one we went to was totally perfect - Romulus and Remus! Eating real Roman food with real Romans and so much cheaper than anything we had eaten in the centre of town with other tourists.

I thoroughly recommend this apartment for lots of reasons and would definitely stay here again.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: I loved the location, the supplies and the welcome
Liked least: Glass bathroom door...although frosted, felt a bit uncomfortable.
Travelling group: Extended Family
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
PatrickPu...
Reading, England
“Outstanding Appartment. Really helpful owner”
Reviewed 17 December 2011 for a stay in November 2011

This was an excellent choice. The apartment is well furnished clean and spacious. It is up 2 or 3 flights of stairs. Mario, the owner met us on arrival having arranged a car to meet us at the airport, which was excellent value. He was really helpful even leaving an Italian mobile phone in case we needed to contact him so we would not need to use our English mobiles! He gave us maps, directions to the attractions and transport tips. The internet worked perfectly. The bus stops outside, otherwise the metro is a 10 minute walk. The Colosseum is just 15-20 minutes walk. The apartment is south of the Colosseum so some will want to stay further north but we found it ideal for a 72 hour visit to the attractions in Rome. On leaving Mario met us on a Sunday morning at 9am and insisted on taking us for breakfast across the street. We will stay here again on our next visit. Highly recommended.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Spacious well furnished appt. Super helpful owner lives down the street
Liked least: 15 min walk to Colosseum but bus stops outside apartment
Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Ewoks
Raleigh, North Carolina
“The Perfect Place to Stay”
Reviewed 23 September 2011 for a stay in September 2011
person found this review helpful

Staying at the Vetusta Roma was a good experience, starting even before we went to Rome. We were staying there after a cruise and Mauro helped us arrange a private transfer from the dock in Citavvichea. The driver was on time to pick us up, offered us water and candy and even with limited English, pointed out several landmarks on our way to the apartment. Once there, we were greeted by both Mauro and Lan who were very welcoming and made us feel right at home. I did not mind the stairs to the apartment when it was just coming and going, but with luggage it was a bit of a strain, good thing we only had to lug it up and down once! Mauro spent some time with us going over a map of the city, making sure we knew where all the major sites were located.

The apartment was lovely and very comfortable, nicely decorated. The beds first appeared to be rather firm and hard, but once you laid down it was very comfortable. The mattress's were what I would call a "Tempur Pedic" or memory foam mattress and I had the best night sleep on it. My husband and I were there with another couple and we had the front bedroom. I was afraid the the street noise would keep me awake, but once you shut the windows and shutters the sound was almost non-existent. The air conditioners in each bedroom worked well and kept the temperatures cool while sleeping, it was rather hot (90's) while we were there. The bathroom was huge and very clean with a double sink, garden tub and small shower. I was happy there was a blow dryer supplied in the bathroom. The hot water heater was small, so we had to take quick showers to make sure all 4 of us had some hot water. We didn't realize this the first day so my husband had a cold shower, we planned better after that.

We didn't plan on cooking, but it was nice having the kitchen, especially the cold drinks in the fridge they supplied for a very nominal fee. We did end up going across the street to the small market to buy some sliced meat, cheeses, olives, bread, wine and beer for an impromptu happy hour and used the kitchen supplies. The employees of the market were very helpful in helping us make our selections and even went so far as to make sure we knew if we needed anything the next day they would be closed between 2 and 4.

We could not get connected to the internet, but we did not take the time to call Mauro and ask for further instructions. Also, the TV in the front room only worked on the first 3 channels, but again, we did not call to see if the problem could be resolved, so I can't complain too much about that.

Overall it was the perfect place to stay. We were traveling with 2 other couples that opted for a traditional hotel room, they now wish they had stayed in Vetusta with us!

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: I felt like I was getting a true taste of living in Rome.
Liked least: The wi-fi and TV not working properly.
Travelling group: Other
Large groups
Travelinp...
Orlando
“Pictures don't do this place justice”
Reviewed 12 August 2011 for a stay in May 2011

Really hard to find! The directions they gave us were to get off the bus a certain number of stops, but if no one wants to get off the bus, it doesn't stop! So we got off one stop too far and had to walk back. There was a small market in the building where the condo should be, and we didn't see any numbers. The non-english speaking person came out and pointed to the door to the condo when I showed her the address. The entry was not impressive, and I was worried, but when we got there, it was amazing! The owners were charming young people who showed us around and were so kind! The place had been renovated very nicely. The furniture and decorating in the living room was a bit unimpressive, but the rest was really nice. There were two very comfortable king-size beds. They felt firm at first, but I slept better in it than in my own bed. The bathroom was unbelievably huge. I didn't know Europe had bathrooms that large! There was a typical small European shower, and a separate tub, a toilet and bidet. It had two windows and was very bright and sunny. The kitchen was modern and well equipped with a bright sunny window. They even stocked it with some free items of food and some you could pay for if you used. Nice the first night and if we felt too lazy to get groceries! There was a nice market about a block away. You could walk to the Colosseum from there in 20 minutes and could catch the bus right out front. The metro was 15 minutes away, and we found a great flea market on the way to the metro. I would love to come stay here again. There was scaffolding up outside the windows when we were there, but apparently it normally has an outside deck, also. The neighborhood was very nice with lots of restaurants right outside. It was on the 2nd floor, which is actually the 3rd floor in U.S. There was no elevator, so if that's a problem for you, don't stay here. Other than that I would highly recommend it. They also have roll-away beds they could put in each bedroom, and the rooms are huge, so it is not crowded.

Travelling group: Family with Teenagers
Large groups Rugged travelers
USA
Reviewed 20 July 2011 for a stay in July 2011

Check-in / front desk Service
Travelling group: Family with young children
Your age range 35-44
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
MarieCE
London
“Felt luxurious and better than expected”
Reviewed 10 June 2011 for a stay in May 2011
people found this review helpful

I was so pleased when I walked into this apartment. Usually we don’t spend money on the type of place that we stay in but rather spend that extra cash on sightseeing, shopping and days out. So, I felt spoiled when this place was so nice. It is very spacious and much larger than the pictures suggest. I think TWO of our 2 bedroom flat in London could easily fit into this 2 bed apartment! The style, décor, furnishings and facilities are above average. I did not miss a single thing from home.

I think the place is too cheap for what you get, but that is probably because it is on the third floor with no lift. So, if you bring heavy luggage this might be a problem – or a good workout when you arrive! We are a young family with a 12 month old baby. The apartment was so nice that we did not mind carrying the pram up and down the stairs every morning and night. I would return any day!! (We did however bring own travel cot with as I found it too hard to specifically look for places that had one)

The entire apartment has marble floors, which made it nice and cool. The large bathroom also has two marble basins, so we could each brush our teeth at our own basin. I felt spoiled! We went in May/early June and the weather was hot and humid, but bearable. (can’t image what it must be like in August) I can’t comment on the heating or fans, as we had no need to us them. It was about 29 degrees every day but the apartment was always nice and cool.

The owner was so nice on our arrival. He offered cold water and fruit. He also took his time to explain how things work and provided maps for the city and circled all the top sights. He also showed me on the map where a quite big supermarket “Sma” was, about 5 minutes walk. We were lucky that the apartment was so close to Sma, as we bought all our food there at very reasonable prices. Also, in the apartment there was plenty of left over unopened packs of spaghetti, pasta and pasta sauce – probably more than you can consume in a month!  They also had things like salt, sugar, tea, coffee that we could use. The owner also provided a fresh bottle of milk. So, it was very nice to make ourselves some coffee/tea and some pasta (starving from the trip from airport), without having to rush to a supermarket the first thing.

Location: it is about 7 minutes’ walk from the metro station: San Giovanni, which is 3 stops East from “Termini”, the central station in the city. It is also walking distance from the Colusseum. It is probably about 20 minutes, but we got a little lost that day and took longer.

I would definitely recommend this place to any of our friends. Just do not bring heavy luggage. And your knees must be okay with stairs.

Travelling group: Family with Young Children
Your age range 25-34
A romantic getaway Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists
Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing