“Super nice owner, price of the rooms is unbeatable but the area is quite stark and poor breakfast”

Centre of the World
Ranked #490 of 1,169 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I only put 3 stars out of 5 but it's really because I didn't like the area in which the B&B is situated, which has not a good atmosphere, it's guite dirty and smelly and there are no good restaurants around. Or they are very average. Plus there were construction workers in front of our windows in the morning, which woke us everyday but I know you can't blame the hotel for that.
Termini station is about 20mins walk and not the most beautiful walk of your life :D as the area is pretty much like every capital train station...
The coliseum is not far neither, 15 mins walk with the forum and palatin next to it. For everything else it's best to use the metro which is next to the hotel.
Luigi was very nice with us, and so helpful so we were quite satisfied with how we were received. We are independent so we did not mind the fact that he was there only the morning to clean the rooms and deliver breakfast. He always left around noon.
I have to say that as a French, for whom breakfast is very important, the one prepared by Luigi was a bit poor. You have 2 slices of dried bread / person, not more, and one sort of croissant in a package, which did not taste like haven. You have only one tiny industrial packed jam per person, and one coffee or tea. No cereals, no juice, no butter, no fresh bread, no cakes or anything of the sort. I think Americans or generally English speaking people who tend to eat savoury meals for breakfast must not really be thrilled :D
The AC did not work, it sort of warmed the room more than it cooled it, weird. We used the fan instead.
The mini fridge was not powerful neither but it worked and was great for soft drinks.
But then let's also face it, the price is very good, there are only five rooms so it's not an awful beehive, the breakfast is still existent though poor, the metro is near, you are not in the historic centrer but still in Rome and you don't have to share your bathroom.
I think the place would become a real bargain if there was a shared kitchen! So that everyone could make his own breakfast and other meals.
So again, I have to stress that the hotel is great for the price but it would not be honest to put 5 stars because it was not perfect. It's just that when we went out at night we just did not want to stay around, not because we did not feel safe but more because the area is not pretty and everything is closed after 9pm.
So all in all, it remains a bargain!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 July 2013

The location of the hotel is far from being 'the Centre' of anything. Yes it is close to the metro (about 1 minute walk) but it is not in the nicest of areas. It was dirty and seemed unsafe if you were to walk around there at night. It was a 20min walk to Termini and the Colosseum but apart form that it was a fair few metro stops to anywhere else of interest.
The room was basic, but nice. It was a shame that there was scaffolding outside our window with construction workers banging away all day. I could of looked past this if the hotel staff apologized for the noise or at least acknowledged that it was somewhat of an inconvenience. Check in was fine. He provided us with a map and quickly pointed out a few important points. Apart from that, we didn't see any staff around for the remainder of our stay except for the mornings when breakfast was delivered to our rooms. Breakfast was a joke. A coffee and a horrible tasting packet croissant with a sachet of jam. There was no knife supplied. Needless to say we did not ask for breakfast the following days.
He organised a taxi to take us to the airport on check-out which he said was 'a friend of his'. Well his friend has a speeding problem! Scariest 15minutes of my life.
To sum up: for the price you could find a hotel of the same quality closer to the attractions Rome has to offer, with better breakfast and service. It's a nice place, but there are nicer.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amie M
Reviewed 21 June 2013

10 min walk to colosseum, 5 mins to metro line. Very convenient but in back street so not noisy or crowded. Clean rooms and decent daily breakfast (great coffee). Owner Luigi very helpful on directions and itinerary, as well as great advice on where to eat (has been to oz and English is excellent). Would definitely recommend for good price and convenience in Rome.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Great little B&B in a residential part of Rome. The owner was amazing, offering advice and directions for getting around Rome. Little touches made this stay, like emailing a few days before to check arrival time then offering directions from the station. Even checking the best route for us to take to meet up with family on the far side of the city.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The owner (Luigi Bellazzecca) of Centre of the World is friendly and helpful. The room was clean and nice. Location of B&B is very good, close to metro bus and tram. It is just a short walk away from Colosseum. Grazie Luigi

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 May 2013

Everything fine. The staff was amazing, helpful and nice. The room was clean and it was very close to the metro station. I think we would come back if we stay again in Rome and I can fully recommend the hotel :)

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 May 2013

I stayed here by myself for a few nights, and I found that it is in the perfect place if you want to get out and about as I did! I used it as a place to keep my belongings and to sleep (and maybe nap when the walking become too much). Luigi, the owner, was ever so friendly and his English is great which makes it so much more welcoming as you are not flustering around with broken Italian phrases while being looked at as if you are going mad... unless that is just what happens when I attempt Italian.

It is just a short walk away from the Colosseum and just around the corner from the Metro so you are instantly linked to nearly everywhere you want to go and visit. Before I stayed I contacted Luigi several times with queries and little bits of information that would make the whole process easier and he was a star always willing to help. Did not even seem bothered at the fact i turned up nearly two hours later than expected as my plane was delayed and had to suffer a few complications before I had even taken a walk on the cobbled ground.
The room I stayed in was quiet and clean with a large bed especially considering it was for a single occupant, Breakfast is served at around 8:00 however I have no view on this as I do not tend to eat that early or eat breakfast for that manner.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo