“A must see”

Ranked #8 of 1,971 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Certainly the most famous and photographed fountain in Rome, legend has it that whoever throws a coin into the pond will return to Rome.
Reviewed 27 June 2018

This beautiful fountain seems to be one of the busiest places in Rome unless you visit early in the morning, especially on a Sunday when you can really enjoy it to the fullest - and get a photo without the crowds!

Write a ReviewReviews (88,473)
All reviews
in 580 reviews
"legend"
in 392 reviews

Reviewed 27 June 2018

This is an iconic spot that most will say is a must see.
Our group walked to this site and there was very little wiggle room even at the time we arrived - close to 6 pm., you have to be ready for the onslaught of people jostling for a photo that won't show just how crowded it is. Even late at night, this place stayed crowded.
It is customary to throw coins in the fountain to bring you back to Rome or to find a spouse - save your Euros I say.
Again, be prepared for the May through July heat and humidity. This is peak tourist season. I just wish there was some way of thinning out the crowds to really enjoy the sight.
I ended up seeking refuge at the nearby Church : Chiesa di Santa Maria in Trivio, another beautiful, if smaller church.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

I visited Trevi for the first time about 10 years ago. If I thought it was crowded then, I was wrong. It's insanely crowded, but you have to see it and you have to toss your coin in (right hand over left shoulder) to guarantee your return! My first visit/coin toss seems to have worked as I've just been there for a second time.

Reviewed 27 June 2018

On a school trip this week, one of my students became ill as we were passing the fountain. He received aid from one of the military guards there (offered, not asked for) and the volunteer guards were very helpful in explaining what the ambulance personnel were going to do - their English was far better than my Italian. At all levels, the care and attention we received was excellent and given willingly.