“A view to remember - an enormous radio mast”

Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #66 of 1,258 Hotels in Rome
London, United Kingdom
“A view to remember - an enormous radio mast”
Reviewed 28 June 2012

We asked to book the restaurant for a big birthday celebration. They said they would put us on the waiting list but never bothered to let us know. Reception was cold and arrogant you'd have thought she was paying us to stay there! When I saw the room I was super disappointed to see an enormous radio mast right outside our balcony. I asked to change but the reception said there was nothing to be done at that time of night. I called first thing in the morning, but again got no response - not even a reply phone call.

The website is very misleading. The 'garden' facing rooms actually face the road, blocks of flats and the enormous radio mast. We had an Imperial room and used the club where the staff were very helpful and pleasant. However the image shown on the website from the Imperial Lounge does not exist.

The shuttle bus drops off at Piazza Bernini and the journey takes 30 minutes or more depending on the traffic. The only way you could get to the Vatican in 10 minutes is by helicopter! The bus stops at 9.30pm so from there it's taxis and it costs about €13 without a tip from Piazza Norvona.

If this is your first visit to Rome then stay somewhere more central as it's expensive getting back to the hotel, or to Bernini to get the bus. I thought we'd have time to use the pool, which looked lovely, albeit busy, but there was so much to do in Rome that we didn't get round to it (after all you can use a pool anywhere). The gym looked good from what I saw through the window!

The beds have a very lumpy mattress cover.

Don't drink out of the mini bar - it costs €9 for a small bottle of beer! The room was very clean and bigger than your average hotel room - but we had an imperial room.

Room Tip: For a view of St Peters you need to select Rome view and be on the right hand side as you look out o...
2 Thank tipster647
GUEST_RELATI0NS_TEAM, Manager at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal city.

We are so glad to read that you have enjoyed our Imperial Club facilities and that our staff met your expectations.

We would like to inform you that advance bookings are required for La Pergola restaurant, so you hope you let us know with the proper notice for your next visit.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

A. Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,421)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Princeton Junction, New Jersey
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I read the reviews for this hotel before we left on this trip and my expectations were high. My husband and I spent a week at the hotel for our 25th anniversary and we were not disappointed - had a wonderful stay.
Used the shuttle everyday to sightsee between 11 and 4. Had the concierge make reservations for restaurants that we wanted to have dinner and took a taxi to and from dinner.
Recommend getting a room with the Rome view - it was spectacular. Service was great. The Imperial Lounge was a great place for unwinding after walking through the city.
Only down side was the no iron rule in the room but we had access to the ironing room on the 7th floor so it has manageable.

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts to celebrate your wedding anniversary in the Eternal city.

We are so glad to read that your stay was a memorable one and we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

New York, New York, United States
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Second-to-none hotel/resort. Fantastic views, artwork, spa, gym, and pools. A great place to come home to after touring the town but even a better place to take time off at and enjoy all the ammonites the Roma Cavalieri has to offer.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Steven M
Dear Guest,

We are so glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that our staff met your expectations.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to your ‘home away from home’ real soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This is a mixed review. I stayed at this hotel as part of a conference. When I arrived at this hotel I was dazzled by the appearance of the hotel and the beautiful room and property. The view was fantastic from my room and the property. Check in service was good - but ended there.

First, the room prices even at conference rates were on the high end at (291-419 euros / night). That would be OK if we received first class service. But the experience was akin to buying a full fare First Class International airline seat and then experiencing a Low Cost Airline type service, where everything from that moment on cost something. And I don't just mean cost "something". How about $20 euro to use the treadmill. How about $39 euro for two average Mojitos at the bar. How about $79 euro for a simple room service order - with no liqour. How about $14 euros to use the swimming pool. No room coffee or free bottled water. How about $5 euro for one single plastic shaving razor - the kind you get in an airline ammenity kit.

Here is just one of the most amazing insults:

There are no irons or ironing boards in the rooms. No big deal - pretty standard for Europe. BUT, there is no ability to order one from guest services. Why? The "Fire Marshal" prohibits in room ironing. Really? I stayed at the Marriott 5km away 6 months ago and had an iron in the room. The only option was to submit your clothes to the standard laundry service for pressing. And by the way, it must be submitted before 0900 with no promise to receive them back before 1800 (which I recieved at 1755). This is really nice for a business traveler who arrives late afternoon on day one - has business meetings first thing the next morning - must attend the meeting in frumpy cloths and during that day, surrender the balance of one's shirts and suits to this "laundry service". And by the way, how do you like the prices for a simple PRESSING? 9 euros / shirt, 8 euros / trouser, 15 euros / suit. About 80 euros or so takes care of the rest of the week.

The most entertaining part of this was when one of my collegues made an issue of this highway robbery with the front desk - the response after an animated conversation was - can you believe this? - "Italian men do not iron their own shirts. They send it out or the woman does it". This is an International hotel with many "women" who are accomplished executives. Italian culture notwithstanding, I cannot believe that in 2012 hotel personnel would make such a statement.

As a hotel it is somewhat isolated so one feels trapped. But the good news is that it is about a 10-15 minute walk up/down hills to reach other options of food and quite frankly this is worth the walk. Excellent small family bistros and shops are in the area if you a willing to walk. Once discovered, the Cavalieri shops, restaurants and ammenities became history. As an example of the issue:, my razor blade broke and the "tobacco shop - gift shop" was closed on Sundays. Could I get an "emergency razor" like they provide at Holiday Inn if needed - NO! I had to wait until Monday to get the $5 euro cheap plastic razor. Later on Monday, I discovered the shops which would have provided better value.

This is not a good place for a businessman who has to monitor and control costs. I and others vigorously critisized the event organizer for imprisoning us in this financial sink hole with the "ambiance" of staff who are arrogant, sexist and could have cared less. And by the way, the number of staff standing around looking for something to do was astounding. Some of the event attendees stayed at other hotels and dealt with the cab fares and saved money overall and had a much better hotel experience.

On the good side - the hotel restaurants were expensive but very good in both quality and portions. Also, the SPA and fitness center was one of the best I have ever enjoyed.

For perspective, I travel almost every week somewhere around the world. I am easy going and generally go with the flow. It is rare that I pick up overt anti-American sentiments but I did feel this here.

So, if you have an unlimited budget and can tolerate indifferent service - this is the place for you. If your organization books this for a conference, before you sign up to staying at this hotel I implore you to consider other options. My collegues who did were quite pleased.

I do not mind spending good money for a good value. I have no hesitation to do this and I do this often. However, it pains me to report that the Rome Cavalieri does not represent such value. I will never stay here again nor will I stay here as part of a planned event.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank H B
Dove Canyon, California, United States
Reviewed 26 June 2012

The hotel is everything you'd think of for a luxurious five star property. Beautiful, lovely grounds and pools/amenities, very comfortable rooms. That being said, it was not our favorite of the trip because it was not conveniently located. To get into city proper, it was a 20-30 minute shuttle ride. From there, you could get to all the sites- Colesseum, Old Rome, Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain. Vatican City was closer, but that meant a taxi instead of the shuttle. The hotel is not an easy walking distance to anything as it is on top of a hill overlooking the city. I would have liked to go back to the hotel for a break during the day, but that wasn't convenient. If you are looking for luxury with only a few excursions into the city, you would love this resort. First time visitors to Rome, pick something more centrally located. Lastly, skip lunch at the pool. We had a terrible lunch of Ceasear salad and a chicken sandwich both in terms of food quality and service. And it was $80 with only water!

• Stayed May 2012
3 Thank Jill H
, Manager at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 27 June 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal city, we were so glad to read that you have enjoyed our rooms & facilities.

As many of our reviewers mentioned, our location is considered a plus as we are far enough to be away from all the city centre's traffic noises, so our guests could enjoy the beautiful view of the city, but also have a relaxing and goodnight sleep.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 26 June 2012

If you have the means and greens, this is one hotel that’s worth it. My budget is far below the lowest rate at the Cavalieri but luckily for me I was on work and was booked into this amazing hotel. The service and rooms were impeccable but they were both overshadowed by the amazing amazing amazing view from the balcony. The hotel is built on a hill so the rooms toward the swimming pool have a complete panoramic view of the whole of Rome, you can’t help but feel like Cesar when you’re up there!
The beds and pillows make you feel like you’re sleeping on a big fluffy cloud and the little touches, like an update of the weather for the next day and the small treats left on your pillow each night, is the icing on the cake. However, wifi is not freely available – you need to pay for it on an hourly or daily basis, which can be difficult if you’re there on work, plus the connection can become quite slow at times. The other issue was that the hotel is about a 15 minute drive from Rome’s city centre and shopping areas, so you’d have to invest in a cab or rented car. But if you’re staying at the Cavalieri its best to spend your whole day there and get as much pampering as possible, it’s the perfect place to recover from the fast-paced Roman city centre and sightseeing tours. And as long as you’re splurging, you might as well bring along your pooch since it’s a completely dog-friendly hotel!

Room Tip: Pick rooms that are higher up and face the swimming pool
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Guest R, Manager at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 20 April 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your visit to the Eternal city.

A. Front Office Manager
Phoenix
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Just returned and had a wonderful stay here. We arrived on an early morning flight (arrived on a Saturday) and were unable to get into our room right away. The spa was available and we went in and quickly changed and hopped on the shuttle back into the city for a few hours. If we had wanted, we could have gone poolside as well. They are usually full, and to expect a room to be available at 11 am was not expected. Unfortunately, one couple was very upset and made a "scene" in the lobby - my heart went out to the wonderful staff as they were doing their best to calm this couple.
The rooms here are beautiful - each with a balcony and view. Remember that irons are not allowed in any hotel room in Italy (fire code). There was an ironing room on the sixth floor, and as my husband and I are both Diamond members with Hilton, we were able to use this room. If you are not a Gold/Diamond member, you cannot use the ironing room. They do have laundry/pressing services available for a fee.
With regards to the shuttle bus - very prompt and reliable. The driver may arrive in town for the pick up five minutes early, and trust me, he would wait even a couple of minutes after the pick up time to make sure everyone that wanted to go was there. The trip in and back was about 20-25 minutes, depending on the traffic. Across the street from the shuttle, there are some great restaurants as well (so many great ones in Rome!). But, if you want to run back into town and not worry about rushing back to the shuttle stop, the two that we went to were great.
But, one of the best restaurants has to be the one at the hotel, La Pergola. We had dinner here our first night in Rome (they are closed Sun/Mon). I booked this well in advance so that we would have a table with a great view of the city. It was amazing to watch the sun set on the city and The Vatican. And, then for all of the lights to start lighting up around the city was perfect. What was wonderful, too, was that it was so quiet. We expected the noise of the city (sirens, cars, scooters, etc), but the restaurant sits in the perfect setting as to not hear any of that. Just amazing. Our dinner and servers were wonderful as well. Great wine was selected for us, and they even laminated the label for us so that we would remember it. And, yes, we did the Grand Dessert which was served on beautiful Murano glass plates. The flowers were even changed on the table (in a Murano vase) for dessert. It was perfect.
While we were there, I believe the Executive lounge was under renovation which re-opened our last night but we were in town having dinner. They did have a nice temporary one set up.
Breakfast here each morning was wonderful - you can sit inside or outside. I could have had jam/jelly alone....I think there must have been 30 choices. Wonderful fruits, cereal, eggs, meats and more. Little stations tucked in here and there throughout two rooms. Don't miss the champagne bottles sitting to the side....yes, you can pop one open and make a Mimosa!
If you love art, the owner of this location has an amazing collection throughout the hotel. You can actually get one of their IPods and walk through the property, listening about each piece. Worth it, if you love art and have time.
If you are a family traveling to Rome, I would suggest staying here as well. It was just my husband and myself, but I could tell that for families with children and teens, this was a nice break in the day to go back and swim, play tennis, etc.
And last, a huge thank you to the staff here. They were all amazing and so professional in what they do. They made our stay perfect.

Room Tip: You'll have to pay extra....but try to get a room with the view of the city! If you are on the...

A. Front Office Manager