“Great place undone by silly management” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts

Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #72 of 1,292 Hotels in Rome
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Great place undone by silly management”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014

Great hotel, nice and quiet and only 10euro taxi to city. For a Waldorf management need to get far smarter. It's not the money but the stupid decisions that sit behind it.... pay to access pool and 18euro for a seat per person, no free wifi in rooms (25euro for 24 hours), no movie channel or inside pool as both out of action but not advised till you arrive. Looking back the main website is very misleading on this small detail.

Lastly, most expensive hotel in the world likely for food. Just nuts pricing - stuck in dark ages. Just charge everyone 15 euro more for room, give everyone pool seat, wifi access and decent prices on food. Such a shame for such a wonderful location.

I wouldn't stay here again as this stuff really annoys as a seasoned traveller. Time for new management thinking at this hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Adrian M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Queenstown, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We had a magnificent view of Rome from our room and loved it. The hotel is a bit removed from the wonderful places to visit in the heart of Rome, but you get an extra quiet location for it. I was a bit put back by the extra charges for wifi and the use of towels at the pool. For a fairly expensive hotel and a name like Waldorf (Hilton), you would think that they would provide better amenities as part of the tariff.

Room Tip: Make sure you request and or upgrade to a view room. It will make a huge difference.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kimcarp
RobertaR0SSI, Responsabile reception at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 7 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal City and for taking the time to submit a review regarding your stay.

We would like to inform you that our prices are in line with 5 Star Luxury Properties and we do offer many room packages that our guests could reserve in advance that include many facilities to their liking.

Delta, BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed here in July and loved it. Upgrade to the Imperial floor which will give you access to their lounge and a better view. This will also give you drinks , internet and food. They have a shuttle into the center of Rome which leaves every 30 minutes.Its not a cheap place. The upgrade was 125 euros per night. I always book the most reasonable room on EXPEDIA and then pay for the upgrade when I arrive. This way I can negotiate the best deal. I would NOT stay here with my 2 kids , its too expensive. But I would recommend this for a romantic getaway. Rome is a world class city.

Room Tip: Stay on the Imperial Floor - floor 7 and ask to face the city.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travel4free
RobertaR0SSI, Responsabile reception at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal City and for submitting a review regarding your stay.

We are so glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay in our Imperial floors and that our staff, services & facilities met your expectations.

We would like to inform you that we do offer many room packages that our guests could reserve in advance that include many facilities to their liking.

Long Beach Township, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

Loved this hotel the bed the bar area the entrance the paintings and then I pulled back the curtains and my heart sank. After walking the grounds and seeing the flowers and the pool and the view from the lounge I was shocked to be looking at a run down building across the street. Asked for a room move. No dice. Was like being in paradise and getting poison ivy. Service was great food was great. Bus driver was awesome couldn't ask for more. Oh yeah the view. Make sure you can see the pool from your room when you book.

Room Tip: Ask if you will be able to see the pool or gardens.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are so glad to read that you have enjoyed your stay and that our staff, services & facilities met your expectations.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. I regret booking for this hotel. Summer sale means, you don't get anything but the room, free wifi is just in the common areas. breakfast is 25€ per person. If you want to use the pool, don't use their towel & mat for sunbathing, that would cost you 18€, jacuzzi/gym/steamroom for a day is 25€. The indoor pool is under construction. a bottle of water is 9€. There is no other place to eat, but at the hotel. if there is, i didn't see it. A sandwich is €19 & pasta is €22. No coffee machine in the room, tea or coffee is €9. They have a shuttle to the city every hour, but when they are busy, the bus might not be big enough for everyone. The taxi is around 14-15€. We ended up taking the taxi at least 5 times. The rooms are a bit dated, built in 1969, i think. From Ciampino Airport to hotel is €65, no airport shuttle. I have one good thing to say, Rome is amazing!

Room Tip: pick a room w/ a view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles

Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014

For a 4 star hotel it was very nice but a bit of a walk from the hustle n bustle of the night life
Staff very friendly although the room was a bit small it was clean and fresh
A bit of a walk to most attractions although the tube station is very close and cheap to use
Would go back to Rome but will look for a hotel with more going on around it IE Bars n Restaurants

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
      Rooms
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal city and for submitting a review regarding your stay that we are glad to read was an enjoyable one.

We would like to inform you that the complimentary shuttle service we provide to the city centre provides our guests with lots of dining options.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from our trip to Rome staying here. Rome is very beautiful and it was great to be away, a few problems however after booking this hotel through an agent one being the promised view which should have been the Rome view and turned out to be the garden view, I had already emailed the hotel in advance to be met with a no it's not a city view but I can upgrade for a further 82 euros per night which is normally 90 euros and this was put across as I great discount based on the circumstances.

Upon arrival of the hotel I was told there was no booking for me only to find that the name they had me booked under was the correct surname but first name James which is meaningless to me and I have no clue where this came from when ever other document including my several emails with the booking agent and concierge/guest services had my correct name.

The hotel staff some were good some not so much at all and unfortunately I cannot remember everyone's name the shuttle bus driver was fantastic as was the main maid from our seventh floor, the downsides being the front desk I requested a plaster as my girlfriend had cut her foot whilst staying in the hotel this was never sent up to the room as promised and on my enquiry with the concierge going down to the desk I was met with the response " ah well I thought you would just turn up if it wasn't sent" despite being promised it was sent and in it's way.

The doorman was rude on our departure and totally blanked me several times when trying to arrange a taxi to the airport, the front desk never asked how our stay again despite knowing I was there to propose didn't enquires how did it go, there was a 60 euro bar bill added to our account which had a totally different surname as I questioned the receipt but was just asked to sign here when it was first produced. The hotel sent up a bottle of wine to our room and titled the letter mr and mrs and then our surname which was incorrect which may sound picky but considering the purpose of our trip which was to get engaged made things suspicious when it was meant to be a surprise.

I appreciate my Italian isn't the best and I intend to remedy this but the staff all spoke several languages so I wouldnt imagine these issues are a result of a communication error.

During our stay it rained all of a sudden after a beautiful day in rom which is unfortunate and in particular on the night I was to propose outside near avenging hill and after enquiring on an alternative to the location I was simply offered a list of restaurants printed off by one of the girls at guest services and from the personal concierge in the imperial lounge I was advised on a restaurant which sounded great only for the girl to then tell me but it is closed , so questioned why offer. The bathroom door in our hotel room didn't fit the frame properly so as a result wouldn't lock which really surprised me given the level of rooms on the seventh floor.

After emailing in advance stating my intentions to propose I had asked politely if it was possible to have a room with the nicest view for the agreed rate which I wouldn't think is unreasonable only to be placed in a room view the worst view of a massive radio communications tower and an apartment building, it wasn't possible to have our key until ten past three, which whilst I understand check in isn't until three you may want to be aware dependant on flight times.

All told the hotel and the grounds are very well maintained but for such a class of hotel and clear luxury these items mentioned took the shine off it and it felt like they weren't really interested and we were just a number, happy to take our money.

There are many great hotels in Rome so I would be a little cautious before booking this one most especially for an extra special occasion of which this was.

• Stayed July 2014