“Luxury but...” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #72 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Texas
“Luxury but...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed at the hotel for one night before we embarked on our cruise. Since we had previously been to Rome, seeing the sights was not a priority for us. Instead we wanted a relaxing and quiet place to stay. Cavalieri is a huge traditional hotel - very elegant and certainly luxurious. We had two connecting rooms - so we had ample space. You definitely need to try the buffet breakfast - it was fabulous. We got breakfast with our room rate - but even if you had to pay, it is worth it. Unfortunately, what was surprising to us was the extra surcharge to use the pool (18 euros pp). Nice pool area but I couldn't believe the extra charge - really? On our previous visit to Rome, we stayed in Parco Principei and they also had a pool - no surcharge. Note that this hotel is far from the city. There is a shuttle, but we never used it. At night, I highly recommend the rooftop restaurant. It's a Michelin star restaurant so a dress code is imposed. The view from the top of the Vatican is wonderful. Free wifi available in the lobby area only.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Alma W
RobertaR0SSI, Responsabile reception at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal City and for submitting a review regarding your stay.

We thank you for the constructive criticisms which will help us in our ongoing efforts to improve our service.

Looking forward to welcoming you back on a future occasion.

Front Desk Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,385)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Service, Staff , food , Hotel, cleanliness ,Everything was you would imagine in a romantic love movie. Finished of a perfect wedding the memories will live on forever......Out of this world....................#thatisall

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Everything is what you make of it…even with a few service hiccups, this hotel if fantastic!

The Rome Cavalieri has to be one of the best maintained properties I have ever had the pleasure of staying at. The artwork and details inside the hotel were very impressive, even to my nine year old daughter.

My husband and I made our reservations based on information we had read about different benefits offered at this particular hotel. (Our trip was in March 2014 and the hotel made some changes in January 2014.) About a month before our departure, I read that a few of the benefits for Diamond members had been discontinued. I contacted the hotel immediately to verify all of the information. I received a prompt response with detailed information from the hotel as to what I should expect. The Imperial Level was no longer offered as an upgrade possibility. However the hotel was still making an effort with a few other small things to make a trip more enjoyable for those people who have to live out of a suitcase day after day.

My husband and I decided the Imperial Level and access to the lounge was something which would be key to keeping our 9 year old happy since she prefers mini meals a few times throughout the day rather than sitting down to three meals. We also knew that after spending day after day walking through Rome, that there would be little patience for sitting through a late night dinner at the hotel. We made a decision to change our reservation to have a room on the Imperial Level since it was important to us and we had the new information that there was no chance of us being upgraded to this level.

We had a very long travel day to get to Rome, our first stop on our adventure. We prearranged transportation through Roma Limousine Service for a very reasonable rate. The driver was waiting for us and we had a very relaxing trip in a beautiful new Mercedes van to the hotel. We were not surprised by the exterior of the hotel or the neighborhood the hotel was in, as we had read about this in other reviews. We felt safe and secure here. We enjoyed the location outside of the city.

We walked into the hotel and headed to the reception area. Maybe it was because we were tired from our 16 hour trip, or possibly because we looked like we had traveled for 16 hours…our greeting wasn’t warm and fuzzy. Some of the benefits the hotel said we would be given were as follows:

HHonors Diamond Members dedicated benefits:
- Expedited HHonors check in at designated desk
- Welcome VIP amenity upon arrival
- Late check-out based on availability
- Two bottles of mineral water per day
- Complimentary room upgrade upon availability at time of check in, including standard suites
(upgrades excludes Imperial Floors, standard suites included)
- Complimentary access to the Cavalieri Grand Spa Club & Pools
- A complimentary beverage during your stay at the Tiepolo Lounge Bar
(beer, soft drink, glass of wine or sparkling wine)
- Free Wi-Fi Internet Connection

Additionally, HH VIP Diamond members may choose two of the following benefits:
- 1.000 HHonors bonus points
- One complimentary in room movie
- Summer months: complimentary use of the sun-beds (maximum 2 per room);
- Winter months: 20% discount on 1 Spa treatment per person per stay

As advised above, one of the main VIP benefits you, as valued Diamond member, will enjoy when staying with us is a complimentary room upgrade to the next room category upon check-in. Please be informed that this kind of upgrade is subject to availability and will only be confirmed upon arrival.

Additionally to the free room upgrade, reserved to our Hilton Honors Gold and Diamond members, we offer on our website the possibility to request an e-standby upgrade at incredible reduced supplements. If you wish to do so, visit our website and from the My reservations tab select the kind of upgrade you would like to request for your stay.

This is the area where we felt the hotel really didn’t live up to our expectations.

We found the staff at the front desk to be almost condescending, maybe put off that they had to check us in at a late hour. I don’t know. There was no dedicated check in for us. We could see the check in area with a bottle of champagne on ice that so many other travelers had written about enjoying after a long travel day. It was not offered to us.

There was no VIP welcome amenity.

There was no mention whatsoever of the beverage in the bar.

No one told us how we go about accessing the spa and pool area – which my daughter was looking forward to.

We didn’t ask, either. Most of these things offered were not really important to us. We thought that maybe the information we were most interested in would be in our welcome letter in our room. It was not. Did missing out on all of this make our stay terrible? No. Were we looking forward to some of it? Honestly, yes.

As promised, we did get an upgrade…from a resort view to a Rome view. I was appreciative of this, as we spent our evenings admiring the beautiful city from our balcony.

One of the front desk employees gave my daughter a Rome coloring book that was pretty neat. My daughter loved going through the book in the evenings.

I felt like, although my family would not use or need most of the benefits that were now offered to HH members, the hotel should not offer these to anyone and advertise them if they have no intention of following through with offering them. I sent an Email expressing my concerns to the person who I had been in contact with prior to arriving at the hotel. My family needed access to the spa and pool, which was a concern.

The front desk manager met with my husband the following day. We were given all of the information we needed. He apologized and took the time to make certain the hotel followed through with most of the things they had promised. He was wonderful. He sent my daughter a small teddy bear which was waiting for her when we returned to our room that evening. I have to say, she sleeps with it every single night, as it reminds her of the great memories we created while in Rome.

The rest of our stay went well. The lounge offered what we had expected as far as food and beverage selections. Our daughter was always able to find a little something she could enjoy. She even discovered pear juice and now requests it regularly. We loved having a glass of wine or a beer at the end of our day, looking out over the city and discussing our favorite memories of the day and planning our activities for the following day.

I do have to admit that we were a little surprised by the staff in the lounge. No one was ever very friendly or accommodating. The staff seemed to rotate through with different people just basically maintaining the area rather than promoting friendliness and great service. It was alright, just different from our experiences at other lounges where the staff is welcoming, friendly, and ever so helpful. We always tip at the end of our stay when we have full service lounge access. The staff at the Cavalieri seemed surprised and genuinely thankful for the gesture.

We certainly had things that we appreciated about this hotel that went above and beyond what we could have hoped for and we were thankful for this.

We found the shuttle into the city center to be fantastic! The gentleman driving the luxury mini bus into the city in the morning was an absolute joy! He was helpful, kind, and very friendly. He seemed truly happy to be at work. We looked forward to seeing him every day. We never seemed to have a problem with finding a seat on the shuttle, either.

We loved that the shuttle dropped us off in Piazza Barberini. It was easy to walk to many areas of Rome to see the different sights. It was a great experience for our daughter to walk through the streets, seeing many things we would have missed if we would have been in a taxi or other vehicle. We found time to stop for gelato whenever she needed a pick me up from all of the walking!

The location of the hotel ended up being perfect for us...Maybe not for everyone. We found that we could be a little removed from the hustle and the bustle of the city while at the hotel. We treasured the downtime at the hotel and used it to recharge and get ready for whatever was next. We felt like we could take a breath and not feel guilty about having time away from all of the historic sights Rome has to offer.

My daughter and husband enjoyed the indoor pool area. It gave them both something to do together in the evenings while I prepared for the next day. And after long days of walking through Rome, it was truly a refreshing treat for my daughter.

My daughter got a kick out of taking the private (and very tiny :) ) elevator to our level. She was tickled by the two huge bowls of candy next to the elevator.

The artwork throughout the hotel was stunning.

Our room was large and comfortable. It was exactly as we had expected from the online photos and from the reviews we had read. We found plenty of plugs throughout the room for all of our gadgets. We loved having the sound proof door which blocked out the hallway noise. And the shutters which closed to block out the light and any outdoor noise were very appreciated! The furniture was in great shape. The bathroom had plenty of space for our family to get ready in every day.

The housekeeping and maintenance staff, along with their management team, have got to be the stars of the show here. Everything in this hotel was absolutely spotless and well maintained. The choices for the artwork, hotel finishes, and furnishings were lovely and really made us feel comfortable. The housekeeping staff always had a smile and a kind word as we passed them in the hallway. There is nothing I appreciate more than being in a room and a hotel where the people take pride in the way it is cared for. Hilton could learn from the people who care for this hotel, as it is head and shoulders above many of the Hilton properties we have stayed at.

All in all, Rome itself was as friendly and welcoming as I remembered it being about twenty years ago. I do wish the front desk staff at the hotel conveyed this feeling to all of their guests, as well. The Rome Cavalieri ended up being the perfect place for my family to have a relaxing start and end to each day while in Rome. We would stay there again in a heartbeat.

*** There is a small restaurant located right off of Piazza Barberini called Colline Emiliane. The interior is nothing fancy, but the food was amazing. We found it thanks to a recommendation from the Katy Parla app. We did not have reservations, but the family made room for us. The family who owned the restaurant was welcoming. My daughter, who rarely eats much at one time, ate an adult plate of the homemade pumpkin ravioli…along with dessert, too! We chatted with the nephew of the owners. He said his aunt makes the pasta daily from scratch and his mother makes the desserts every morning. He even invited my daughter to come to the restaurant in the morning to learn how to make the pumpkin ravioli since she loved it so much! Unfortunately, we found this restaurant on our last full day in Rome. My daughter still talks about the pumpkin ravioli being the best meal she has ever had and this is months after our trip! She wants to go back to learn how to make it one day! I did read the restaurant is closed for renovations through August 2014.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
      Sleep Quality
2 Thank tamara2298
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Finally a Hotel which really deserve their 5 stars. The People on the reservation-desk are very friendly and effective as are the concierges. The personnel overall perform very well. Hotel is very clean as are the rooms. Maybe one minor point: It is situated on a hill overlooking Rome. You have to summon a taxi to go to town or come to the Hotel. They operate a complimentary shuttlebus to the centre, but only every hour on a base of first come, first serve. Of course the restaurants and other things in the hotel are quite pricey, but you should expect this at a house of this standard.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RobertaR0SSI, Responsabile reception at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 12 August 2014

Greetings from Rome.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Eindhoven
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

Great hotel with beautiful big rooms with great view on Rome! Good breakfast and friendly personel.

It's only far away from the centre, approximatly 15 euros with a taxi to the centre (one way). For this money you can better book a five star hotel in the centre of Rome (walking distance to shops, restaurants and sight seeing). There is also nothing to see in the neigbourhood of Cavalieri.

Also very expensive (high prices) for simple things like tea or water.

We like luxury and often stay in luxury hotels, but this luxury hotel isn't what we are looking for. We made a mistake booking this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Pieter K
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal city and for submitting a review regarding your stay.

We regret reading of you impression and hope to welcome you on a future occasion in an attempt to truly show you the level of service we reserve for our guests.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Having just spent 5 lovely days at this hotel, I cannot recommend it enough. The staff were lovely, and the room we were given was out of this world. The Imperial Club was fantastic with stunning views over Rome and the Vatican.

With the weather being great we spent most of our trip by the pool and the pool guys were really attentive. On leaving I got a lovely email from the general manager as I had written him a thank you note and this quick email response was indicative of the high levels of customer care. A truly wonderful hotel and could not recommend more!

Room Tip: If you can afford to you should pay for an upgrade to the Imperial Floors. The benefits will save yo...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Rome. How refreshing to receive such a nice message of compliments. Thank you indeed for choosing our hotel for your special occasion and for taking the time to write your impressions. It is always a pleasure to be able to pass on such positive feedback to the team members who contributed to the success of your visit.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

My family stayed at the Cavalieri for 4 days at the end of July as part of our vacation. Wonderful hotel in terms of room, service, food, spa and pool.

I booked my room via Amex FHR which actually made this a great value relative to some of the other hotels in Italy that we stayed in. We reserved a Imperial room which I highly recommend. Upon arrival in the hotel, the bellmen helped with our luggage from our taxi and directed us to the front desk. We arrived around 2pm and there was a very short wait. Upon checking our reservations, the young woman asked us to come around with her to another area to check-in where we could sit down and she offered us some cold sparkling water. There she confirmed our rate and our benefits (I'm a Gold member) and took us up to the Imperial Room on the 7th floor. We got an upgrade to a Rome view (glad as the view was wonderful).

We had to wait for our room to be ready so we had some snacks, drinks, espresso while waiting. The Imperial lounge had lots of seats and a few people waiting for their rooms but is a lovely place to unwind and relax. When our room was ready, the front desk person came over to give us our room key.

Our room was as pictured on their website. Plenty of space, large comfortable bed and great air conditioning. Not sure why another reviewer said no wifi but wifi in my room and the public areas worked fine and was free as a Gold member. Good working desk with multiple outlets for different plugs which was a nice touch. Lighting was great with controls by the bed. Electronic safe in the room to leave stuff. Bathroom was good sized with a full bathtub/shower. I really liked the soundproof door that you can pull close at night to shield any noise from the hallway (wish other hotels would think of this) and the shutters that blocked outside light/noise.

Turndown service every evening would leave us 3 bottles of water which we appreciated.

Breakfast buffet in the restaurant was amazing. Great selection of hot and cold foods with great service. On nice days, we sat outside. Our rate included breakfast for 2 so we were charged 20 euro for the additional person each day. We did have breakfast in the Imperial lounge one day as our Vatican tour required an early start. The food there was good also but didn't have the variety of the restaurant. We also had snacks and drinks during the day through the early evening and really enjoyed the space.

The outdoor pools were very nice. As a Gold member, we had free access to the pool and spa. They do charge for sunbeds though. The main pool is very deep and great for swimming laps. The indoor pool was closed in July for renovations. We used the spa one evening and enjoyed the steam room and cool plunge pool but the whirlpool was lukewarm. My wife's massage was good though expensive. There is also a large gym with plenty of equipment and space.

Hotel is well maintained. We saw staff cleaning outside including the pool every morning.

As others mentioned, the hotel is outside of ancient walls of Rome and there is shuttle to take you to Plaza Barberini. We always got a seat so maybe we were lucky but never had a problem. The drivers were nice and one of them gave a little tour. We took taxis other times, especially in the evenings to get back to the hotel. We never paid more than 15 euros back and forth to the centre.

Check-out was done in the Imperial lounge. My family voted that we really enjoyed the hotel and the services it offered. It is expensive and outside of the centre but you enjoy larger rooms, views of the city and a great swimming pool.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
RobertaR0SSI, Responsabile reception at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Rome. How refreshing to receive such a nice message of compliments. Thank you indeed for choosing our hotel for your family trip and for taking the time to write your impressions. It is always a pleasure to be able to pass on such positive feedback to the team members who contributed to the success of your visit.

We are delighted that you have such happy memories of your stay and we hope to welcome you again in the future.

Sincerely yours,