“Re: Additional charges and no value upgrade”

Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #72 of 1,291 Hotels in Rome
Birmingham
“Re: Additional charges and no value upgrade”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We unfortunately paid extra for a Rome view to get to the room and find out that the pool and some trees is about all we can see, we are on floor 3. We then wandered down to the fitness centre for a quick workout to find out it costs an additional €62 to use whether you are there half an hour or all day! I asked reception if they get a lot of complaints about this and the guy shrugged his shoulders and said complain if you want to, so I am! We are considering leaving tomorrow if there is not a drastic improvement in service and room. So disappointed, we have stayed in mr and mrs smith hotels in Venice and Florence and wish we would have gone with their choice for Rome.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank JamesVillarreal

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,392)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014

The Rome Cavalieri is a very nice hotel. It is not in downtown Rome and requires a cab or use of the free shuttle bus to get into the main part of Rome. The front desk staff is very nice and helpful. Be forewarned, the food and drinks are expensive. The gym, spa and pool are very nice but are not free unless you have Gold or Diamond status with Hilton. The hotel is old but has been recently renovated. The restaurant, La Pergola has beautiful views but is the most expensive restaurant we have ever been to. Well over 1000 euro for 4 people. The food was good, not great. The service was fantastic. Breakfast was very good. One complaint - the bartenders in the main bar had SERIOUS attitude. Like they were doing us a favor serving us drinks that cost 18 euro each! That being said, all in all a very nice hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Manchester, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

One to be missed I'm afraid, over priced Hilton extravagance at the poorest taste possible. We paid €250 for a one night stay with 'Vatican views' I only wish I'd taken a pair of binoculars to experience this. We arrived around 5pm and yet we were still expected to pay €18 each for use of the outdoor pool and loungers. No wifi in the room (unless you paid) basically everything other than the bed and use of our own bathroom was chargeable. If you're looking for a slice of America (the place is full of rather loud Anericans) in the not so central parts of Rome then this is for you.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Matt D
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I traveled to italy 2 nights in rome 2 nights in milan. When i arrived it was actually quite nice I walked around for a bit after I checked in. First I visited my Room ( num 455 ) lovely big Room. My little brother really enjoyed the fact that there were buttons in the Room he preesed one and shutters came down on the balcony, That made me quite safe in the room. I ordered Room service lovely quality food. Staff nice and friendly. Next day to the pool Lovely pool quite deep aswell! Lovely hotel all together!!

Check out my review of milan raddison blu! aswell

Room Tip: If optional choose room on higher level
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
R0bertaR0ssi, Front Office Manager at Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, responded to this review, 8 September 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts during your recent visit to the Eternal City and for submitting a review regarding your stay that we are glad to read was an enjoyable one.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards
Roberta Rossi
Front Desk Manager
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

nice hotel but far from city centre. good for a holiday, especially for the local people, but not really convenient for the tourists. However, best quality hotel that I have stayed in Rome, much better the Westin and St. Regis.

Review collected in partnership with Waldorf Astoria

Long Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 5 nights (arrived home last week). We knew what to expect as far as surcharges for the wifi and pool so we had factored that into our budget. Our room was spacious and beautiful. The grounds and service are beyond compare. It was a real luxury to spend a several hours per day in Rome sight seeing to return to this hotel and just relax by the pool.
Would recommend this hotel to anyone planning a trip to Rome!

Dear Guest,

What a pleasure to hear such nice comments about the Rome Cavalieri and our team members.

Thank you for taking the time to let us have your impressions about our hotel, which will be definitely shared with our staff.
At the Rome Cavalieri we are very proud of our service and it is always a pleasure to know we achieved our goal: providing a unique experience to our customers and meet every client's expectations.

It would be a pleasure to hear from you again, whenever you may be planning another stay in Rome.
Meanwhile, I truly hope that the time here in Rome will be a most memorable experience and that you will enjoy the rest of your stay with us.

Kind regards
Roberta Rossi
Front Desk Manager
New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2014

I cant say why I took so long to voice my disappointment with my stay here. My husband and I were so excited to stay here after reading so many great reviews.

Beautiful Hotel
The hotel is beautiful I must say. It is indeed one of the most beautiful hotels I had ever been to and to make it even more special, the night we got there, there was a red moon, something I have never seen.

The room
The room was splendid, modern and really a luxury. I could fall into a sleep coma in the bed and the bathroom was. Again, its a really great room, they left no stones unturned.

Dinning
The night we arrived we dined at the hotel's restaurant. I remember ordering liver pate, but somehow they got my order wrong but the manager apologized and offered us free drinks so we were good. At breakfast the buffet was so extensive, and everything was delicious.

My Huge Disappointment
was with the shuttle service from Piazza Baberini which left my husband and I rather pissed. Basically the shuttle service was inadequate and it appears that they not flexible enough to adjust the schedule if they have a lot of guest staying at the hotel. So after waiting on the shuttle twice with another couple, the four of us finally decided to take a cab. We approached the manager about the service, I think his name was Nicoholi, and he was quite indifferent as if he did not care. Needless to say we left the hotel with no intention of returning.

Luxury is not just about how nice the building and the room is, most of it is based on SERVICE!!! If a guest makes a complaint about a service, the proper thing to do is to listen even if you do not agree with our opinion especially if they are simply suggesting an idea.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple