“Treated like royalty”

Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #73 of 1,270 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 5 January 2009

From the moment we arrived at the front door to the day we left we could not find a single fault with the service and standards of this hotel. Admittedly, being a diamond VIP meant that we had a more personal service when checking in, but thereafter, as far as the hotel staff were concerned, we were normal guests. However, the service was second to none, whether it was being seated at the breakfast table for the seemingly endless buffet, or asking for advice on the sites of Rome, even when passing the housekeeping staff in the corridors, everyone was friendly and courteous. There was a free shuttle bus into the city every hour, but failing that the taxis were only about EUR10 to EUR12 for the journey.
Overall experience - unbeatable!

1  Thank Mission_world
Write a ReviewReviews (6,006)

Reviewed 2 January 2009

We stayed at the Cavalieri for 2 nights. As I am a gold member I could use my points and enjoyed every bit of it. The lounge was great and we didint have to pay for any food, drinks or internet. The hotel was awesome. (I have been to several fine hotels worldwide). The staff was very helpful.

Tips
Do visit the Turkish bath if you can. Quite good.
To save money, you can have light dinners (sandwiches, lasagna etc) in the Colloseum lounge.

But you might want to consider the following.
1. Everything in the hotel is very expensive.
2. Its out on top of a hill (Use the shuttle as much as you can)
3. Very residential area. So no other restaurants or bars nearby.
4. I wasnt given a Vatican view room even though I was a Gold member.

Unless you want to spend a lot of time within the hotel to enjoy its fine comforts, I would not suggest this expensive hotel

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SiddMoras
Reviewed 30 December 2008

This hotel was wonderful and having the shuttle bus saved a lot of money. We didn't eat at the hotel as it was too pricey but would go back again.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 December 2008

This hotel was incredible. When we arrived, they upgraded us to the executive suite. Excellent service and great food (especially the margherita pizza!). Breathtaking views of the Vatican City from our room. The most comfortable beds ever! Turn-down service with delicious chocolates. Shuttle service to downtown area well worth it. Nice pool and spa area. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled with family
1  Thank LindsSweet
Reviewed 17 December 2008

I stayed at the Cavalieri three nights prior to a cruise. Having never been to Italy, or Europe for that matter, I was nervous since I was exiting my "comfort zone." Well, that nervousness went away the second I walked through those front doors. The concierge greeted my wife and I with a welcoming smile, and the service never declined from there.

The ladies at the front desk all spoke English, so language was no barrier.

The room was one of the nicest hotel rooms I have ever seen. The all marble bathroom was spectacular. The room was equipped with additional privacy doors. A second, heavy door could be closed inside the main door that blocked out all hallway noise. This was handy because the locals tend to be lively at night. Also, there was an electric shutter that closed over the balcony doors to block out all light. Being from the Florida Keys, it was great to see a hurricane shutter used for another purpose.

The single greatest part of this room was the view. Do not book this hotel without securing a City View Room!!! This hotel is perched on a hill overlooking all of downtown Rome. The view actually took my breath away. Seeing the Colloseum, Pantheon, Spanish Steps, etc for the first time from that balcony was simply awesome!

Beware, you may have a hard time getting up in the morning. The beds are almost too comfortable.

The only down side is that the hotel is not downtown. However, there is a free shuttle that runs downtown on the hour. It returns from downtown on the half hour. Although, I must say that the drop-off location is not very good. It is several blocks behind the top of Spanish Steps and it is very difficult to get your bearings the first time. They should find a more central location.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Cruzaholic
Reviewed 15 December 2008

I feel extremely fortunate that I have stayed at the Rome Cavalieri and at a very reasonanable price due to family connections. It is the most amazing hotel I have ever stayed in.

The room was beautiful and we were fortunate to be upgraded to the Rome View which was breathtaking.

Breakfast - which we had included - was fantastic and the setting by the pool was brilliant.

We had no problems with the shuttlebus and the friendly driver crammed us in a couple of times to make sure we could get on. The drop off points were perfect and very central to Rome - you expect to walk a lot in a city so had no problem getting to where we wanted from the locations.

It's a shame the hotel isn't more central as I don't like working to a (bus) timescale when I'm away but that is the only downside there is. The fact there was a free shuttle was a great service.

There is a fantastic restaurant within walking distance from the hotel which was very reasonable, head back towards the main road and then at the junction head up a long road (only a 5-10 min walk) it has brilliant views of Rome and great food for about £10 a main course.

Overall an amazing hotel and wonderful break though it is expensive on a full rate!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Rucky.England
Reviewed 24 November 2008

We stayed there only one day but it was awesome. The hotel was really nice and luxurious, the room was perfect, it's the best I've ever seen. The bed was really comfortable. Altough it wasnt at all close to the city center, I loved the hotel. As the price was quite high but it's normal for this hotel. The only thing we didnt like was that they asked money for pool towel and pool chair. After paying that much money to the hotel, we were shocked to hear that we had to pay for towel and chair. It was a bit to much! We had lunch at the restaurant near to the pool, it was expensive compared to the restaurants in the city center.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple