“Beautiful Hotel. Terrible Location.”

Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts
Ranked #71 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 24 February 2009

We stayed in this lovely, but grossly overpriced hotel. The view from the room was lovely. Unfortunately, the hotel is poorly located on a hill that is pretty far from the city. A cab ride each way costs 20 Euros to go into town. There was a shuttle bus, but it is small and was often filled to capacity. It also ran on the hour and didn't run for 3 hours in the afternoon. The last bus is at 8 PM. So must go to hotel for dinner. Hotel food was was dried out and very expensive. It was 10 Euros for a diet coke and 30+ Euros for an entree. The only consolation was the hotel room cost was paid by the company. I would not stay here again. The staff were top notch.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank CAK9230

Reviewed 5 February 2009

My sister and I decided that since we had a very limited time in Rome on our treck across Europe that we would make this hotel our splurge. It turned out to be the best decision we made all summer! This is by far the most fabulous hotel I have ever seen or stayed in. The lobby is absolutely breathtaking and check in only took about 15 minutes. Besides the emmaculate luxury, the best part of this hotel is the staff. Every staff member is your typical life-loving Italian. They were SO happy to help and the concierge gave us an excellent dinner recommendation.
Our room had everything! It was old style luxury with new age technology like a plug in Ipod speaker. The solid marble bathroom with hermes toiletries was also fantastic.
Perhaps the best part of this hotel is the Turkish bath and relaxation room on the 1st floor. Make sure you set aside a couple of hours one day to hang out here! We came in from an exhausting day of sightseeing and regrouped in the spa and had tons of energy to go out that night. It was GREAT!
There is no better place to stay in Rome!

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 January 2009

I have stayed at Cavalieri Hilton several times, and this time brought along family for a week end in Rome. The hotel's location is not particularly good for tourists and short stays, but its other qualities outweigh this. If pressed for time, take a taxi, you can afford it.

The view from rooms on the Vatican side is stunning. Roomy furnished balconies makes it tempting to simply sit there and watch. The rooms are luxurious in every detail, absolute bliss after a long day sight seeing.

We only ate breakfast, since the hotel restaurants seem very expencive, and its more fun to eat down town anyway. Breakfast, especially if you grab a table by the pool, is excellent. Also, the terrace is great for afternoon drinks or coffee.

We took advantage of the hotel's limousine service to the airport, and actually saved money! Alternatively one can take a taxi to Termini Central Station, and then the airport express train, but for a party of 4, that was more expencive.

I really like this hotel, highly recommended, but the price stings.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MisterCoconut
Reviewed 28 January 2009

The single most opulent hotel room I have ever stayed. The marble bathroom was spectacular. And the breakfast! I'm Hilton Gold VIP, so the breakfast was complementary, but it was unbelievable... there was a pastry room: there was one table just for the dozen different honeys. As many of the reviews will say, the Cavalieri is not convenient to the sights-- it is a destination in and of itself. But, there is the shuttle bus to take you into town, and if you need to get a taxi back all you have to say is "Cavalieri".

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank dougbunger
Reviewed 21 January 2009

We converted our Amex points to Hilton rewards. We stayed here with our children in two adjoining rooms. This luxurious hotel is one of the better in Rome, it's a bit out of the way but the shuttle outside takes you to the various points in the city where most tourists visit.

Comfortable elegance at the end of a long sightseeing day is exactly what I wanted. The Evelyn and Crabtree products that smelled heavenly combined with a deep tub took all the cities grime away.

This is a hotel with a pool and that's fairly rare in Rome. The hotel will charge extortionist fees for towels and chair pads. These items should be a given.

You can walk down the block to a wonderful small restaurant that had fresh fish and menu changes daily.

The breakfast is another treat with it's extensive buffet layout and silver service, perfect way to start the day!

We did not get the side of the hotel that has the Vatican views but given that we needed the two attached rooms we couldn't complain. Check out the Gucci boutique, when in Rome.......

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 January 2009

I stayed one night for a meeting having pre booked and pre paid through the Hilton website. On arrival I was upgraded to a suite because the hotel was full, which I thought was great. The suite was like two hotel rooms (I think its a corner suite on the site) - a bedroom and bathroom on one side and a lounge on the other.
It was cold in the rooms when I arrived because the a/c was on in the lounge (it was around 10 C outside). I changed it to heat but the lounge never warmed up. Worse, the heating in the bedroom did not work at all. I called down twice about the heating but no-one came to check/fix it.
I spent a cold night in the bed room and in the morning found that there was a leak in the bathroom sink. I found this when my feet got wet while I was shaving!
I mentioned this on check out and was told that they were sorry. No more. I gave some feedback about this on the Hilton website the following day and got a request for more info a week later. Since then, nothing, despite a reminder.
I have stayed at the hotel a few times in the past and always found it to be great but I suspect that on this visit I was given a room with known problems under the guise of an 'upgrade'. I would rather have had a fully operational standard room...

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank dk011
Reviewed 20 January 2009

We were reccommended this hotel by a friend, and knew that it was a little out of the city but was worth it if you booked a Deluxe Rome view room. I waited for the January Sales on the Hiltom web site and got a Rome view room for 3 nights for a much cheaper price.

The hotel was everything we imagined and more - very classic and elegant with fabulous art. Didnt get time to use the spa and swimming pool but looked amazing. The staff were courteous and very friendly. The shuttle bus very reliable. The room and full marble bathroom very luxurious - bed was the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in, pillows enormous, bed turning down with chocolates and replacement towels and tolietries at night as well as morning, and the highlight was the shutter switch next to the bed so you could open your shutters in the morning and watch the sunset rise over rome and surrounding hills from your bed - just spectacular. The breakfast has so much choice I was overwhelmed. I actually counted 31 types of Jams, honeys and marmalades to choose from and there was even a Japanese table in the corner. Waffles, omlettes, smoothies, smoked salmon, champagne, you name it you could have it for breakfast. We didnt eat other meals in the restaurant but there is a fab little rustic Scililan restaurant just up the road from the hotel called Vespri, where the seafood is just lovely (around 58 euros for a bottle of wine and 2 courses for 2) and its just full of locals - always a good sign!. This was much chepaer than in central rome on Via Veneto where we spent 100 euros - best chateuabriand steak I have ever had though!! and this was a fine dining restaurant. Trastevere district is another little gem where we ate in a restaurant caled La Scala on via Della Scala - well worth a visit for 68 euros for 2 people including a good bottle of wine. The taxis werent too pricey we paid around 12-15 Euros at night to get back to the hotel as the shuttle bus stops running at 8pm from central Rome.

Overall we had a fab time, weather for Jan was mild and blue skies, and as long as you dont mind paying the evening taxi fares and walking/bus hopping to/from the shuttle bus rendezvous point in Piazza Barberini, the Hotel is well worth going to for that peaceful Rome view and of course some luxury!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple