I carefully read the reviews of this hotel before our trip, and once armed with knowledge we had a fantastic time. We got the city view each time (we had two different stays)--imagine seeing all of Rome from a balcony on a hill! The view at sunset and sunrise, the view of the grounds, the incredible breakfast buffet, the snappy and helpful service made this a great honeymoon spot. We actually liked the fact that it was far from the city--downtown Rome is very noisy, busy, and very dirty. Plus, the people are not exactly charming. We also took full advantage of the Colosseo lounge (the free VIP lounge) and so rarely paid for lunch and afternoon drinks. We did notice most tourists did not tip the lounge staff--that is shameful :(
Now to address some of the complaints by reviewers. The staff is excellent if you tip like you are staying at a 5 star hotel--don't stay at such a place if you don't know how to tip.
The place IS expensive, but it is a 5 star destination hotel. While we were there, we saw athletes, celebrities (as well as the dogged paparazzi), and many weddings and special events. It is an LA kind of scene--this is what I liked least about the place, actually. The gym was full of local women looking to be someone's trophy wife...though that will make some readers more inclined to go.
The bottom line is that the critics got a bad room (one with no view) and didn't spread around the wealth.
With that said, how to save money: take the shuttle--though taxis are cheap and fast (10-15 euros), and eat out. Many reviewers have vaguely referred to a Sicilian trattoria down the street. It is cheap and wonderful and will save you from spending an enormous amount of money at the hotel on food. The trattoria is called "Ai Vespri Siciliani"--turn right out of the hotel and walk five minutes down Alberto Cadlolo way--it will run into Medaglione d'Oro as a T. Turn left, walk 50 meters and there it is. There are also other places to eat on the same street.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking the panorama that has inspired visitors for centuries is Rome's most prestigious address – the Rome Cavalieri hotel. Though only minutes from the city's great monuments, the Rome Cavalieri has the tranquility of an oasis. Enclosed in fifteen acres of lush Mediterranean parklands, this luxury hotel is a calm retreat in the heart of the Eternal City, an elegant refuge where time slows and hearts quicken.The first hotel in Europe to be part of the exclusive Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts, the Rome Cavalieri hotel is more than just a 5–star property. It's the pre-eminent luxury hotel in Rome, with an art collection that outshines many museums, a Grand Spa that would be the envy of a prestige health resort, and standards of luxury that set it apart from other Rome hotels. The Rome Cavalieri brings new meaning to notions of Italian style, and new purpose to the fine art of exclusive hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Priceline, Ebookers, Agoda, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., Cancelon, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotels And Resorts
- Rome Cavalieri, Waldorf Astoria Hotel Rome
- Hilton International Rome
- Hilton Rome
- Rome Hilton International
- Hilton Hotel Rome
- Rome Cavalieri Hilton