US$124
Hotel Colosseum(Rome)
US$114
US$104
Savings alert! 19% below average rates

The price you found is 19% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$128/night.

US$258
US$189
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Hotel Nord Nuova Roma(Rome)(Great Value!)
US$145
US$131
Hotels.com
Hotel Diocleziano(Rome)
US$161
US$123
Savings alert! 25% below average rates

The price you found is 25% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$163/night.

US$91
US$185
Trip.com
  • Room Service
6,296 results
All reviewsimperial loungela pergolacity viewdiamond memberhilton pointsexecutive floorart collectionbeautiful hotelshuttle buspiazza barberinicomplimentary shuttlepillow menuindoor poolpool sideturkish bathsteam roomper day
Reviewed 20 September 2017

This special hotel is my only & unique choice for my time in Rome.The hotel is so special due to the location, the view over Rome, the comfort of the room, the safety provided by the security discrete control, the extra great SPA, the lovely outdoor swimming pool, the imperial lounge
But finally what makes this Hotel not only a luxury hotel but your only choice for Rome, it's all about the team: they can listen to you and really understand your needs. Particular thanks to Umberto G. for the unique experience he ensured to me and my family, Thank you and hope to be back soon. Stefano R.

Room Tip: Imperial Floor, Rome View
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
RobertaR0SSI, Front Office Manager at Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2017

Dear Stefano R,
Thank you very much for choosing the Rome Cavalieri to celebrate your special occasion in the Eternal City. We are delighted to read that you had a wonderful stay and we hope to welcome you back at the Rome Cavalieri.
Warmest regards,

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I took away one star for location because although it has a shuttle service that runs during the day every hour, it's just not in walking distance to anything. At all. There's nothing around. Take the 20 min shuttle ride in or a €18 cab ride into the city. Not convenient. I took the other star away because the staff were just not up to par with the level of standard the hotel should be at. First, there is nobody to even open the heavy doors at the entrance, I saw women with kids struggle as well as people handling luggage. For a place with a 3 Michelin star restaurant and multi million dollar art collection, they should do better. Second, the staff were somewhat incompetent, slow, and pretty unhelpful. Service was really really slow at the bar, and you felt you were inconveniencing the staff if you had a question that might interrupt their personal conversation. Check in was pretty awful. I handed the front desk clerk our passports, she looked up my name and said I already checked in. After I told her no, I just got here she insisted I already had checked in. She insinuated that I must suffer from amnesia and showed me the paperwork with all my personal information and signature on it. Except it wasn't my signature. So they obviously aren't doing their due diligence by properly checking identification. So yeah we were off to a bad start and I was worried that perhaps things might be charged under my name to my credit card (still worried). The clerk did nothing to explain anything about the hotel or its amenities.
The prior week I stayed in a lovely boutique hotel in the heart of Rome, this hotel was just a one night stop over to catch our flight from Rome after spending the weekend in Sardenia. I chose this hotel because it is a chain (Hilton) and I do have status (Gold) so there are some perks, albeit minor, for choosing this hotel over the hundreds of great boutique hotels in Rome. One of the perks is a room upgrade if available...*if* being the key word, so I don't pin my hopes on that, but I do expect the staff to at least acknowledge that they tried or understand the membership benefits. When I was finally given my room after they tried to figure out who they gave my room to (I never even got an apology or reassurance) I asked if there was potentially a room upgrade. She didn't understand what I was talking about and looked at me confused. So I explained to her the membership benefit and she said "oh", then said "ummm, there are no rooms available" without even looking up anything on her computer (there were plenty of rooms available when I looked online later). Now, being that Im only a gold member I don't expect to be treated like a king, but at least make an attempt to fulfill the benefits that your company has said it aims to provide. She couldn't be bothered. She was incompetent and not pleasant. The staff really lets this place down.

3  Thank Jmweez
RobertaR0SSI, Front Office Manager at Rome Cavalieri, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2017

Dear Jmweez,
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts with us and for your feedback posted regarding your recent stay on TripAdvisor.
First of all we would like to thank you for choosing Waldorf Astoria Hotels & Resorts for your visit to the Eternal City even though we regret to read that some aspects did not meet your expectations.
I apologise for your disappointing check in experience and please rest assured that I will immediately be raising this with the team to ensure re-training is given where appropriate.
We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the near future and we trust that you travelled home safely.
KInd regards

Reviewed 17 September 2017

This hotel is absolutely outstanding! Loved the incredibly friendly and helpful staff. Got an instant upgrade for two rooms that I booked (we have Hilton Gold status), and got an excellent balcony view room. The room and each aspect of the hotel is done in exquisite Roma/Mediterranean fashion and leaves nothing more to be desired. While we were there, they had a nightly singer and piano player that both performed very well and there were even fireworks to cap each night. Our balcony gave us an excellent view, but we got an even better one near the pool. Turndown service, the shuttle service, the restaurant staff, and everything in between was flawlessly done. We'll definitely visit this hotel again when in Rome, it's simply phenomenal!

Dear Brick127,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this great review!
All of the Rome Cavalieri team are happy to read that we exceeded your expectations with the hotel and the service received.
We appreciate your kind words and hope you will come back soon.
Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 17 September 2017

This year was a repeat visit to the Rome Cavalieri, as a result of an incredible family holiday we had last year.

First of all location:
The Rome Cavalieri is located on one of the hills outside of the city so if you're looking to step out of your hotel and go exploring then its not ideal but then the location also means you can escape the hustle and bustle of the city when you want to relax by the pool or having a walk around the gardens.

There is a regular shuttle bus which is great, but it can get a little busy (see below on things the hotel can improve) and last service back is 9pm which is a little early if you want to go into the city for dinner. If you want to stay out later a taxi ride is about 15/20 mins from the Trevi fountain and should cost around 15 euro.

Its approx a 40 min (longer in traffic) taxi ride from Fiumicino airport and our experience is its best to book one of the airport transfer services (or the hotel can arrange this for you).

Building and ameneties:
From the outside its not the prettiest building, but inside its absolutely stunning. When you enter the lobby there is a lovely citrus smell (and you can buy a scent diffuser with the same if you want to take some home!) and is something that stays with you forever.

The hotel is also full of pieces of art, which you can spend hours walking around and admiring. All of the public spaces were absolutely spotless and sparking although perhaps just a touch dated but it doesn't take away from the fact that you know you're in a 5* hotel.

The terrace area is really nice and clean and gives a great view over the pool and the city which is perfect place to relax in the evening.

The gym (which was being refurbished last year), is very well equipped and very clean.

The pools are amazing! There is a large main pool which has a good depth to it meaning you can get a good swim and then for the kids two pools situated further away in the gardens. On a Sunday there are inflatable slides for the kids to enjoy too.

This year saw a change in the way that the sun loungers operated. Previously there was a charge for a lounger but this year this was not the case. This is a real welcome change (considering the cost of staying at the hotel in the first place) but it was obvious the staff were struggling to deal with the unfortunate selfish behaviour of some guests (see later) that this change in policy has brought about.

For the kids there is also the 'IT Club' which our kids absolutely loved and we couldn't drag them away. Flavia and Stella (who looked after them during our stay) are absolutely amazing, and kept the kids entertained each and every afternoon. There were some tears on the day of our departure the kids loved them that much! Flavia and Stella - thank you for creating such incredible memories for our children!

The breakfast buffet is just superb, the quality of the food extremely high, and nothing is too much trouble.

Poolside service is a bit patchy (see later), but the chalet (which is open weekends only) the food is fantastic and staff running the BBQ there do an amazing burger and pizza!

Staff & Service:
Almost all the staff are extremely welcoming and nothing is too much trouble. Special mention must go to Flavia & Stella in the IT club, but also to Alessandro who welcomed us at check in (and remembered us from last year), and also to Daniele at the front desk who sorted out an issue with minimal fuss and complete understanding.

The housekeeping staff are wonderful and made a huge effort to make the kids feel at home. Each evening their toys were propped up on pillows on the beds and pyjamas laid out which is such a nice touch thank you.

The driver of the shuttle is a really nice chap, really attentive and friendly and was always smiling. Unfortunately I forget his name, (Massimo?) but he was also at the hotel last year, which shows I think the culture the hotel must have to retain staff so loyally.

Rooms:
We had a couple of rooms overlooking the gardens and the pool. The rooms are a great size with air conditioning to give you a break away from the relentless heat that you get in Rome during the summer. The minibar is well stocked but is expensive so keep that in mind if you like to have a drink in your room on the balcony!

The bathrooms are very luxurious, and towels and amenity kits plentiful and good quality.

We spent another week at the Rome Cavalieri and it was another amazing experience and we certainly will be returning again!

With all things there are opportunities for improvement, so I provide the following feedback, not in the cause of complaint, but hopefully for the hotel management to review and consider looking at addressing:

1) The shuttle bus - due to the location of the hotel, the shuttle bus is a fantastic service to operate for the convenience for guests. Unfortunately it does get very busy as a result, meaning you have to start queuing 20 mins before its due to depart to guarantee a seat. This is where the trouble lies. Unfortunately a small number of selfish guests think its perfectly acceptable to turn up and try to loiter or push infront of people who have been waiting for a long time. I witnessed a couple of unpleasant exchanges as a result of this behaviour as understandably people are not going to be tolerant of this! I know the hotel cannot do much for the lack of manners of some of its guests, however a rope barrier for people to stand behind and a sign indicating which way to queue would alleviate this immediately (I know nothing cannot be done at the Rome stop but at the hotel something can be done).

2) With the change in policy regarding the sun loungers, we saw some guests embarking on the selfish behaviour of trying to hog loungers by the pool with the towels before disappearing off for hours on end. Although the hotel management had put up signs asking guests not to do this, it was still happening, and the pool staff were obviously struggling enforcing this. We witnessed one very unpleasant guest having a rant at one of the pool staff because they had 'given away' the loungers they had 'reserved' (yet had remained unoccupied for over 4 hours). So again I know the hotel cannot do much about guest behaviour, HOWEVER what I take issue with is that it was obvious that some pool staff were reserving loungers for certain guests, those loungers being unoccupied for hours also. If the hotel has a policy that loungers cannot be reserved then that should apply to all guests.

3) The service poolside was also a little patchy this year, with some staff much better than others. Not sure if this is a training issue, but simple things like providing guests with drinks menus was hard work occasionally!

4) Almost all the staff in the hotel were brilliant, unfortunately however the service on the terrace was consistently bad. On many occasions we were waiting outside for almost an hour before seeing a member of staff and more often that not we had to go inside to place drinks orders.

5) Please reconsider some of your drinks pricing. 9 euros for a glass of coke is not reasonable anywhere, even in a 5* hotel. This is especially so when the glass is full mostly with ice. I actually watched the staff at the pool bar only use a bottle of coke (yup thats about 150ml per serving) across two glasses. This doesn't come across high end, just miserly.

6) Previous experience is that drinks (especially on the terrace), came with a couple of bowls of snacks. This at the very least took some of the sting out of the high cost of coke in a round of drinks. However snacks were rarely proactively offered during our stay this year. We were told this was due to problems they were having with pigeons but perhaps if staff were attentive and came out onto the terrace more regularly it wouldn't be such a problem.

7) The breakfast buffet is fantastic! On our previous stay there was prosecco put out in coolers if you wanted a cheeky breakfast tipple as a treat. However this year, although available, you had to ask for it. This is fine, but there is nowhere that mentions this service is available.

8) Please make apple juice available with the juices at breakfast (though was always brought when asked for).

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Dave C,
Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at the Rome Cavalieri. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed the location, hotel and service.
At the Rome Cavalieri all team are dedicated to delivering the True Waldorf Service and to create memorable moments to all our guests and we are glad to read that in your case our team has succeeded.
We truly hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again at the Rome Cavalieri.
Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed 17 September 2017

Some of the best views of the city of Rome are seen from the upper floors of this hotel.
Recommend you request a room with a view on booking , as we did, however initially our request was not acknowledged but we insisted as this was the only reason we booked this hotel months earlier. The lower floors do not have views of the city.
The hotel is very large but all the staff were excellent, especially the concierges and all restaurant and cleaning staff. The breakfast, lunch and dinner were all of very high standard. Our room was very good with a lovely balcony. You need a taxi or the hotel offers a shuttle to downtown Rome. Multiple excellent swimming pools.

Room Tip: Request o room with a view of Rome. Upper floors.

Dear Trurab,
Thank you for taking the time to share a review about your recent stay on TripAdvisor. We are delighted to read that you have enjoyed your room, our unique location and the breakfast selection. I will make sure to pass on your warm words to our team; they will be delighted to hear you have enjoyed their service.
We sincerely hope to welcome you back to the Rome Cavalieri.
Warmest regards,