“Lousy customer service” 1 of 5 bubbles

and up
Skip the Line: National Roman Museum and Diocletian Thermal Baths Walking Tour
Ranked #34 of 1,455 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Built onto the ruins of the Domitian theater, this splendid palazzo houses beautiful mosaics and Roman statuary.
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Lousy customer service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

The museum’s collection is good, but the manager and the security guard were arrogant and nasty. After asking me to put my camera bag through the x-ray machine, the guard insisted me to store the camera bag in the cloak room (even after inspecting the content of my bag manually).

What is the point only let me bring one camera and one lens inside the museum? On the day we visited, there were only few visitors.

Since my lenses equipment costed me a small fortune, I prefer not to leave them in the cloakroom. I carried the bag (not bulky, just about 10x8x6 inches) into many famous museums all over the world without any issues, except in this museum.

I tried to explain the situation to the guard and he yelled loudly at me. I asked him about the museum’s guidelines regarding the bag size allowed, he just declined to talk to me. The manager came to the scene, without offering any help. Conclusion: one thumb up for the museum’s collection, two thumbs down for the lousy customer service.

Visited April 2014

71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 107 helpful votes
“Great Museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2014

Location: About 5 minutes on foot from Termini.

The place: I was pleasantly surprised by this museum! I woke up on a Sunday morning to a crazy thunderstorm so I used Google to see what I could do in Rome on a rainy day. This museum came up and since it was right by my flat, off I went. The Palazzo offers three floors of art - sculptures, paintings, frescoes, mosaics, coins - pretty much everything that you can think of. I have to say that they have an impressive selection of busts too, for some reason.

Price point: I think I paid 7 Euro to enter the museum, which was perfectly reasonable to me.

Dallas, Texas
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“No heads and few hands!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We went to this museum because it is the national museum. Seems like they went around the Rome area collecting all the leftover broken statutes and pottery. Was quite uninspiring. The guidebook said there is never a crowd. We saw a handful of other people during our visit. We tried to appreciate it, truly. Perhaps if you are a person with a particular interest in the period of antiquity?

1 Thank JGPowers
Surrey, United Kingdom
120 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 145 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem - A Must See”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

We are staying near Termini and saw this museum a few times as we walked back to our hotel from the train station and thought 'we should pop in'. It's our last day in Rome, and we're hot and tired, and thought 'lets pop in for a few hours' SO GLAD WE DID.

The museum is magnificent!

So well laid out. Lots of space between exhibits. it's light and bright.

There's enough information next to each exhibit to ensure you've some idea what's going on but in hindsight we should have got the audio (tho have to admit, we're a bit audio'd out)

The friezes and mosaics from Ancient Rome need to be seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kids will love this place, especially if they have studied some Ancient Rome or seen Horrible Histories as all the key players are here in some form or another.

Very well priced.

A hidden gem in a busy city.

1 Thank aussiemama
Palm Beach Gardens, Florida
577 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 419 helpful votes
“An Antiquarian's Dream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2014

Amazing statues, frescoes, busts, bronzes. Some of the best preserved Roman bronzes in the world. A must see museum.