“Amazing mosaics and frescos”

Museo Nazionale Romano - Palazzo Massimo alle Terme
Skip the Line: National Roman Museum and Diocletian Thermal Baths Walking Tour
More Info
US$118.60*
and up
Rome Uncovered: A Fully Private Walking Tour Through the Most Iconic Places of...
Ranked #35 of 1,874 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Built onto the ruins of the Domitian theater, this splendid palazzo houses beautiful mosaics and Roman statuary.
Reviewed 24 June 2014

Amazing mosaics and some really neat frescoed rooms recovered from an ancient villa! There were very few people - we felt like we had the museum to ourselves. My 12 year old loved the coin display in the basement floor.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,973)

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The museum’s collection is good, but the manager and the security guard were arrogant and nasty. After asking me to put my camera bag through the x-ray machine, the guard insisted me to store the camera bag in the cloak room (even after inspecting the content of my bag manually).

What is the point only let me bring one camera and one lens inside the museum? On the day we visited, there were only few visitors.

Since my lenses equipment costed me a small fortune, I prefer not to leave them in the cloakroom. I carried the bag (not bulky, just about 10x8x6 inches) into many famous museums all over the world without any issues, except in this museum.

I tried to explain the situation to the guard and he yelled loudly at me. I asked him about the museum’s guidelines regarding the bag size allowed, he just declined to talk to me. The manager came to the scene, without offering any help. Conclusion: one thumb up for the museum’s collection, two thumbs down for the lousy customer service.

4  Thank hudson066
Reviewed 23 June 2014

Location: About 5 minutes on foot from Termini.

The place: I was pleasantly surprised by this museum! I woke up on a Sunday morning to a crazy thunderstorm so I used Google to see what I could do in Rome on a rainy day. This museum came up and since it was right by my flat, off I went. The Palazzo offers three floors of art - sculptures, paintings, frescoes, mosaics, coins - pretty much everything that you can think of. I have to say that they have an impressive selection of busts too, for some reason.

Price point: I think I paid 7 Euro to enter the museum, which was perfectly reasonable to me.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

We went to this museum because it is the national museum. Seems like they went around the Rome area collecting all the leftover broken statutes and pottery. Was quite uninspiring. The guidebook said there is never a crowd. We saw a handful of other people during our visit. We tried to appreciate it, truly. Perhaps if you are a person with a particular interest in the period of antiquity?

1  Thank JGPowers
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We are staying near Termini and saw this museum a few times as we walked back to our hotel from the train station and thought 'we should pop in'. It's our last day in Rome, and we're hot and tired, and thought 'lets pop in for a few hours' SO GLAD WE DID.

The museum is magnificent!

So well laid out. Lots of space between exhibits. it's light and bright.

There's enough information next to each exhibit to ensure you've some idea what's going on but in hindsight we should have got the audio (tho have to admit, we're a bit audio'd out)

The friezes and mosaics from Ancient Rome need to be seen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The kids will love this place, especially if they have studied some Ancient Rome or seen Horrible Histories as all the key players are here in some form or another.

Very well priced.

A hidden gem in a busy city.

1  Thank aussiemama