“Worth a look if you have a few hours to kill”

Museo Nazionale Romano - Palazzo Massimo alle Terme
Skip the Line: National Roman Museum and Diocletian Thermal Baths Walking Tour
More Info
US$116.14*
and up
Rome Uncovered: A Fully Private Walking Tour Through the Most Iconic Places of...
Ranked #37 of 1,522 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: Built onto the ruins of the Domitian theater, this splendid palazzo houses beautiful mosaics and Roman statuary.
Cheltenham
29 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Worth a look if you have a few hours to kill”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

A nice museum with a few pieces worth looking at. Id say 60% of it is busts, which get boring to look at once you've seen about 10 of them. The highlight for me was The Boxer. A beautiful piece of art I loved and took a bunch of pictures of on my phone. Close to Termini station so worth a look if you have a few hours spare but I wouldnt prioritise it.

• Arabic first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Two museums a bit confused on here”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

I made the same mistake. I have noticed that photos from the wrong museums are on here. Near Termini station there are 2 different museums you can visit on the same ticket (plus 2 more) within 3 days. One is the Museo Nazionale Romano which has many sculptures, mosaics, frescoes etc. The other is the Museo Nazionale Romano delle Terme which also has statues etc in the museum, but also ancient Roman baths in a huge ancient Roman building just outside. The 2 museums are about a 5 minute walk from each other. It is worth visiting both! The Roman baths also extend to a church at the back of the baths - worth visiting too!

2 Thank Liz S
London, United Kingdom
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Full of amazing Roman art and history.”
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Everywhere you turn there is a masterpiece. Favourites not to miss are the boxer bronze statue - go up close to see how fantastically it is made - and the house of Livia frescoes. The frescoes are breathtaking! The detail is amazing and so is the preservation. A lovely way to spend an afternoon. Also very cheap - 7 euros to see 4 different museums. Make sure you also see the Roman baths across the piazza dei Cinquecento as well.

3 Thank Liz S
Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Ticket Lady a Ruined Visit”
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

I hate to give bad reviews, especially about a museum, but I experienced behaviour that I would expect from a tourist scam artist on the streets NOT from a reputable museum.
I asked the ticket lady for 1 ticket and she said €7. I handed her a €20 note and she handed me my ticket and a €10 note and turned her back on me and started fiddling with something. I told her that she owed me €3 and after we got someone who could speak English it transpired that she didn't have a lot of change.
If she had asked me if I had change or explained that at the beginning there would be no problem but the fact that she under paid me and then turned her back on me like I should just accept it!!! Height of rudeness!!!

It was such a shame because I went there to see statues of one of my favourite Roman's (Agrippina minor) and the museum wasn't crowded at all which is good if you don't like millions of tourists. It has some wonderful statues and amazon mosaics but it was totally overshadowed by the ticket woman and her unforgivable behaviour.

And now when people ask I will be honest and tell them to beware as the ticket lady is most certainly not honest. I just wish I had get her name but she was middle aged with short hair.

11 Thank MissFeeMac
West Midlands, United Kingdom
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“What an amazingly beautiful place”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This is one of the best museums I've ever been to, make sure to take a decent camera to capture all of the delights here, there is an outdoor area also, I'd say it take from a few hours to all day to look around thoroughly. It costs 7 euros per person to get in but the first Sunday or every month is free.