“Loved it! Creative, crazy, beautiful ... and empty!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Musei Capitolini

and up
Private Tour: Ancient Roman Art History Walking Tour
Ranked #50 of 1,490 things to do in Rome
More attraction details
Owner description: The creation of the Capitoline Museums has been traced back to 1471, when Pope Sixtus IV donated a group of bronze statues of great symbolic value to the People of Rome. The collections are closely linked to the city of Rome, and most of the exhibits come from the city itself.
Brooklyn
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Loved it! Creative, crazy, beautiful ... and empty!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is a gorgeous old power station in its own right, with room-filling machinery like metal wheels probably 30 feet in diameter. Great 40s aesthetic and of definite interest to any male. Then toss in some gorgeous artwork -- Roman statues, mostly -- and you've got a synergy that'll make your hair stand on end. Reasonably priced and not too hard to get to.

Visited October 2013

• Turkish first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
210 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 410 helpful votes
“Worth a Visit for Lovers of Statuary”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

This is one of my favorite museums in Rome because it's usually not crowded, has some great pieces (Venus, She Wolf, Dying Gaul, Commodus as Hercules, Bernini's Medusa, pieces of two colossal Constantine statues), is manageable in two to three hours, and offers fantastic views of the Forum. If you go, rent the audioguide, buy the museum catalog, or bring another resource to provide more information than is offered by the museum. There's lots of room for improvement in this realm. Many pieces aren't even titled. If you've seen one ancient statue and think you've seen them all, don't waste your time. Lovers of Caravaggio will find two paintings in the gallery (John the Baptist and The Fortune Teller).

The cafe provides a nice view of the surrounding area. Don't miss the views of the Forum from the Tabularium. Bag storage is 1 euro, but is refunded when you return the key.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank jsctraveler
Austria
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“I got lost !!!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2013

I love going to museums and I find it is ALWAYS best to have a guide, a real one! Someone who knows where they are and can answer your questions. Unfortunately there was no guide available at this museum so if you have time in advance, book a tour. The museum to offer audios.

I have to say, this is THE most confusing museum I have ever tried to get around. I bought a book as a guide but although it is an interesting read after,... at the time it was not much help and was heavy. I was given a map to help me get around but it was useless to be honest. I found myself in a stairway with no idea where I was going, i almost felt I could end up in the staff canteen. I was up and down stairways, in and out of rooms with no clue where I was or even if I was meant to be there. I even found myself suddenly in a side street ouside the museum. So it is a good job the entrance ticket allows you to access the museum twice.

The Capatolini is situated in a big square, I tried to enter another building and was told NO. I had to go back into the main building and follow the underground path, (see, confusing). It is possible the map they gave me told me that but I was a wandering aimless tourist. So my advice, if they give you a map... READ AND FOLLOW IT!!! I know that I missed out on a lot of the good rooms but once again found myself outside the main building so ended up walking away before I got paranoid that the ghost of Constantine was constantly kicking me out!

I will go back... armed with a compass (and possibly a big ball of string).

Visited September 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 68 helpful votes
“try here to avoid the crowd and enjoy some nice pieces of work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2013

if u want to see rome and statues the easy way, without queue and hordes of tourists, this is the place. it's quite civil, unlike the vatican. it's a pity Rome doesn't have numerous museums like paris. but this museum has quite a nice collection. it's relatively peaceful and rather quiet. perfect for contemplating pieces of art. look out at some windows for nice views of Rome.

Visited August 2013
Upminster, United Kingdom
137 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 127 helpful votes
“Impressive museum”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We used this museum as our 2nd free attraction with our romapass. The normal queue into the museum was very long, which we bypassed with the romapass.

We used the free lockers, which was nice to have a break from carrying our backpack.

There is a really good view point onto the roman forum from the 2nd building. We got slightly lost, but eventually found our bearings. The museum became very busy as it started raining.

Overall good, however not sure if I would of paid the full amount.

Visited September 2013

Been to Musei Capitolini? Share your experiences!