“It has all been said before.”
Review of Albergo del Senato

Albergo del Senato
Ranked #10 of 1,271 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 28 April 2011

Seriously, what more is there to stay. The location in insane!! You can almost touch the Pantheon from the hotel's windows. We were lucky enough to stay in the penthouse. If you feel like splurging, go for it! The room was large, tasteful, and we had our own private terrace on top of the entire Piazza Rotonda. Such a cool Piazza and cool hotel! You cannot ask for a better location.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank seiryu79

Reviewed 24 April 2011

Our second stay at this hotel, chosen because of the fabulous location and top-notch service. Room on the 6th floor, facing the Pantheon with fantasy view. Perfectly quiet, with small, shuttered balcony. Very nice breakfast room. Room and bathroom are small, but sufficient closet and built-ins to be functional and comfortable. Reliable WIFI connection. Reasonably priced-mini bar and English TV channels for relaxing in the room after walking easily to all the major historic sites, Vatican City, Forum, Spanish Steps, Tevi Fountain, Piazza Navona, Campo di Fiori and gelato!

2  Thank TravelforFun17
Reviewed 23 April 2011

Having lived and studied in Rome for a full college academic year in the mid-seventies, I knew the general location I wanted to stay on this return trip some 35 years later. After a tip on this hotel from a fellow classmate, I researched it further on the internet and of course, TripAdvisor. It was the perfect choice.
Prior to arrival, the Hotel staff emailed me and helped arrange pickup and drop off from the airport via a private driver/service. That went flawless. They had a power adapter ready for me upon arrival for my medical needs. Again, this hotel and staff were true pros.
Rome's a very walkable city and one cannot appreciate the architecture, the art, the culture or the "surprise" of this ancient urban plan if one doesn't physically walk the streets and experience the excitement from that perspective. Key to that is finding a centrally located hotel for your "home base" and the Pantheon-Piazza Navona-Campo di Fiori neighborhoods should be the target search zone(s).
Albergo del Senato is directly on the piazza in front of the Pantheon. The energy of street life on the piazza is worth the price of a night's stay alone. We propped open our windows immediately to enjoy a backdrop of street musicians, performers, and just the pleasant din of multiple conversations occurring at the various restaurants and cafe's ringing the beautiful piazza. We particularly enjoyed the young male opera soloist who's acapella renditions in Italian were beautiful.
Morning breakfasts were superb. Fresh. Varirty. Attentive and friendly staff waiting on your coffee needs. The rooftop deck was not yet open for the season. I can only imagine breakfast al fresco or a sunset glass of wine would be an added treat up within the domed skyline of this part of Rome.
The front desk man was personable, helpful and always accurate with a superb restaurant recommendation. Some of the best dining I've had in Rome.
The neighborhood has the famous coffee shop Tazza D'oro nearby...simply the best. Pizza by the slice about a block east of the coffe shop. Piazza Navona is a short walk as is the Campo di Fiori and it's fresh colorful produce.
The del Senato is clean and the room we had was perfect for our travel needs. I understand during a recent remodeling of a different room on a different floor, an original ceiling fresco was discovered and restored. So there are definitely some additional rooms to request on our next visit. This hotel is highlt recommended by this writer.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Piazza
  • Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mzimmerman2
Reviewed 20 April 2011

Our room was on the sixth floor overlooking the plaza and the Pantheon. Always something going on in the square. Great shops all around within walking distance. Rooms and bath are a bit small, but very nice. Staff very helpful and friendly. Only negative might be the elevators which are quite small and on the slow side, and challenged wifi access.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank bobtaylor908
Reviewed 19 April 2011

The staff at this hotel are extremely attentive and they go out of their way to help you in any way they can. Alexandra, in particular, exceeded in all of the above but Luca and Mauro were also very helpful, polite and delightful.

The location is perfect because it is in the middle of the historic center overlooking the Pantheon, but the Piazza della Rotonda can be noisy, especially in the evening when Puccini arias or Andrea Bocelli songs are being sung by various street artists. It can be hard to sleep with all that going on, especially if you have jet lag; however, it was magical once we got on Roman time.

The breakfasts at the hotel were excellent and the rooms are very tastefully done and elegant with sound absorbing padded fabric walls. Most of the rooms have just been redone and look brand new right down to the ornate crown moldings. Our room, which, fortunately, was on the (top) 6th floor, was one of the few that had a small balcony. Imagine opening the curtains and doors to reveal a spectacular view of the Pantheon only a few feet away and the din of the crowd below.

Room Tip: Ask for a the 6th floor with a balcony for a view.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank bellknob
Reviewed 19 April 2011

We stayed for 2 nights in early April. We booked a superior room through their website and I had asked for a room on a high floor based on other Trip Advisor comments. Was pleased to find out upon check in we got one of the few rooms with a little balcony overlooking the Pantheon. Once outside I realized only 3 rooms besides the suites have those balconies so was very happy.

The weather was still in the 60s so we left the windows open most of the time, they had louvered covers for nighttime. We would close the windows early when trying to get to sleep, they blocked out most of the sound from the square and I had no issues sleeping.

Room was small as most older hotels, but that was expected. Furnishings, linens etc were all clean and met our expectations.

We went to restaurants both nights based on staff recommendations and they had more locals than tourists which we appreciated. We quickly realized that any restaurant in any guidebook (Rick Steves, Lonely Planty, Rough Guide) were swamped with tourists and wanted to get away from those. Although the guidebook places do tend to speak English better.

Rome was more crowded than I expected, turns out it was Cultural Week the Forum, Colessium and Palatine Hill were all free entry. The thousounds of teenagers from around Europe were there on school trips. I can't imagine how crowded it must get there in the peak of summer.

Room Tip: Ask for room on the 6th floor overlooking Pantheon
1  Thank bullyboy1
Reviewed 18 April 2011

we have just returned from Rome where we had a wonderful two night break to celebrate my birthday.

The hotel was extremely well located and from check-in to check-out everything was wonderful. Special thanks to Luca for the great dinner reservation.

We paid for an upgrade and we had a great room on the sixth floor with a juliette balcony which was lovely.

Views were great, breakfast was good, just continental but there was plenty of choice and lots of refilling.

At the end of my stay I was unfortunately pickpocketed - watch your belongings carefully around major attractions, I got too blase. The hotel couldn't have been nicer or more helpful in getting my cards cancelled and calming me down and we had already checked out and had only gone back to pick up our bags! Thankfully they left our passports and my phones, so only my pride was bruised.

Overall it was an amazing break and I can't recommend this hotel enough.

One last note is that there is some renovation work going on at the moment, but we didn't see any of it. I believe that they were working on the first floor whilst we were there, but no noise and no disruption at all.

We will be back I am sure.

Room Tip: Ask the concierge for a recommendation for dinner
2  Thank Juliab571